1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Contentedness thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by hendrix, Jun 7, 2012.

1. fireflygrave

fireflygrave Well-Known Member

Yeah, the sexual meaning what what I was thinking of. Dune makes much more sense considering the picture of your jeans a few posts up :laugh:

Last edited: Feb 7, 2013
  2. BubblyMasquerade

BubblyMasquerade Well-Known Member

bump bump i want more stories

3. lobstertainment

lobstertainment Well-Known Member

be content with the stories you already have

17 people like this.
  4. RegisDB9

RegisDB9 Well-Known Member

White, found in Maison Martin Margiela offices, in all its shops and sometimes painted across clothes, is the Maisons main color

[​IMG]

One of the first things I remember reading about Margiela is him making a vest out of cotton that was laid down where the models walked over them in painted shoes. Ever since I have been intrigued by this use of paint, especially white.

These Moccs are my favorite pair of footwear right now, for a person like me who hates anything that aren't sandals when I'm in the Caribbean they are perfect for walking around places like this

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The sand and salt water don't seem to be a problem and hell I am guilty of romanticizing but these just remind me of an old painted house on the beach, so they remind of good memories. The Moccs along with bag which I use as my beach bag are going to be my go to(s) for a long while

Yes I wear them laceless!! why? cause in my opinion its not only even more pleasing to my eye, but dammit do I hate laces. These are great for my environment with a wool sky blue jacket and trousers. People ask me all the time about them, usually why exactly did I just paint my shoes. As soon as I tell them who designs them I try to get out of the conversation cause I know "how much" is coming.

[​IMG]

12 people like this.
  5. Teger

Teger Well-Known Member

manhattan portage debranded 'cornell' messenger

i've owned.. a lot of shoulder bags. expensive leather ones from ralph lauren, cheap-o ones from jack spade, but my favorite -- by far -- is this black messenger from manhattan portage.

it's lightweight, totally nondescript, has a great pocket configuration, is fairly waterproof, and fits a 13" laptop with case perfectly.

i've had this one for maybe four years? it's the second one i've owned. with the first, the shoulder strap started to tear off, and the company replaced it no questions asked. by this point the black cordura has faded a little, and i think it looks great.

i also own the standard filson 256, but i actually like this much better. with leather/canvas bags i always run into weight issues, but this has the perfect combination of durability and heft.

it originally came with an ugly red manhattan portage badge on the front, but it took maybe 10 seconds with a seam ripper to remove it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
    7 people like this.
  6. L.R.

L.R. Well-Known Member

What a nerd.

Ignore my current location.

3 people like this.
  7. AriGold

AriGold Well-Known Member

damn this is still the best thread on SF

1 person likes this.
  8. js0930

js0930 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    To add to this thread, I'm really happy with my zissou wallet. It holds everything I need, looks awesome and fits nicely on a front pocket. He's a great guy too-thoroughly recommend him.

5 people like this.
  9. hendrix

hendrix Well-Known Member

Black and lavender is a great winter combination I just discovered. This is probably not news to you all, but it is to me, probably because I hardly have any black in my wardrobe so I've only just stumbled upon it today.

Try it out.

10. El Argentino

El Argentino Well-Known Member

Throw some charcoal or steel grey in there too and you have win.

1 person likes this.
  11. superego

superego Well-Known Member

exactly this.

got a purple Paul Smith cashmere scarf at like 75% off last winter and gonna be looking for a charcoal peacoat-ish (gonna need to get some interesting details as well) coat this coming winter.

1 person likes this.
  12. colabear

colabear Well-Known Member

it's cool that something as simple as a cashmere scarf can inspire ideas of what items of clothing you would want to buy.

That's why many designers nowadays are pushing for more accessories because they are more affordable than actual garments and you get more use of it. You can buy 2 or 3 scarves to update or change the look of your coat and it is more affordable than buying a new coat every year or vice versa, a particular style of scarf can inspire someone to buy certain garments because they want a certain look like the case of superego.

Same thing with bags. When you like a particular designer's look and sometimes it's hard to find your size in garments, its easier to just buy a bag because it always fit and you still get the style of the designer

13. superego

superego Well-Known Member

totally agree, and it's worked. Paul smith in particular does great things w links, socks and other accessories--Im kinda hooked on his socks now as well. even at 75% off the scarf was expensive to me at the time (retailed at 350), but my approach over the last bit has to buy solid pieces I really like and build around them.

14. hendrix

hendrix Well-Known Member

accessories can be a trap though.

Just look at the average MC-er.
    He has maybe 5 high end rtw suits, and about 20 handmade ties and pocketsquares.

When you add up the cost, he would have been better keeping just 2 ties, one pocketsquare and getting some decent bespoke suits made up.

1 person likes this.
  15. L.R.

L.R. Well-Known Member

I have few contentedness-worthy pieces, but one that is on my list is a wool/cashmere tie, in the absolute ideal grey, by Polo (made it Italy). I like it more than my best suit. If I could only wear one tie ever again, it would be this.

Also, I should point out it gets a lot of compliments, despite how nondescript it is, and how rarely I have a chance to wear it. All for 25$ I managed to snag off B/S a few years ago.

16. mike1445

mike1445 Well-Known Member

Something about grey, the right grey sweater or sweatshirt just feels like a home.

3 people like this.
  17. ghdvfddzgzdzg

ghdvfddzgzdzg Well-Known Member

I've been feeling very contented lately about my green suede chukkas.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I got these on a whim, as they were some ridiculous sale percentage off, like 90% off or something, taking them from $600 to $90 as I recall. It was probably 2011 or so when I picked them up from a Rider Boot Co. sale. They're prototypes, so as far as I know they're the only ones like them in existence. They're 1/2 rabbit shearling lined--the lining is there for the back half of the foot.

[​IMG]

They've got crepe soles to maximize comfort. They've become a go-to stand-in shoe option. Here's another close-up.

[​IMG]

But I didn't always feel that contented about them. For a while it was kind of "well, sometimes I can..." and "what am I doing with these? Maybe It'll make sense when I get them kind of beat up." They seemed garish, like any time I was trying to wear a lot of other colors. I mean, outdoors, they're pretty green. Excuse my 8 a.m. sun-in-the-eyes face in this old WAYWT pic here

[​IMG]

But they found their niche in my wardrobe as they got worn in, and now I wear them with a lot of my simplest outfits. Here's a very similar one from last year

[​IMG]

They could even be MC casual with a pretty boring blue ocbd+chino fit. So thanks, Ron Rider, for these weird boots. They've really served me well.

13 people like this.
  18. brad-t

brad-t Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My style has changed a lot (click here for a hilariously bad outfit) but I feel like as I've grown, this bag has grown with me. The feathers have been torn off, the wallet rope's clasp loosened to the point of it being unusable, the leather has worn in, and frankly ... it looks much cooler this way. I haven't felt the desire for one of those featureless shoulder bags made out of admittedly lush leather yet. The heavy hardware and snake leather still resonate with me. Even though I'm wearing mostly black and no prints anymore, it resonates with my glam roots.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2013
    9 people like this.
  19. g transistor

g transistor Well-Known Member

Aw I kinda liked the feather.

What do you keep in there?

When I read that comment you made about your fit I thought "Dang you didn't dress that bad back then" but when I actually saw the image the only thing that popped in my head was "holy shit"

Last edited: Jul 13, 2013
  20. spacepope

spacepope Well-Known Member

gunblade

4 people like this.