1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Contentedness thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by hendrix, Jun 7, 2012.

1. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Well-Known Member

I bought a navy gap cardigan a couple of years ago from a secondhand store. It had a zipper and buttons and a shawl collar with two patch pockets in the front. It was my favorite sweater and I used to lounge around in it and it was my go to for everything from going out to brunch or to a casual drink with friends or having people over for drinks.

I brought it in to work a few months ago to leave at my desk for after hours wearing and for wearing over scrubs if I was waiting between cases. A coworker borrowed it once without asking when she was cold and lost it somewhere in the hospital. I'd love another but just feel like I'm going to be disappointed. I think it'll come to me in time.

I'm still pissed at her for it.

The thing I own currently that I'm supremely happy with though is a madras shirt I had tailored when I was in India in 2011. I'll post a picture shortly!

Last edited: Jan 8, 2014
  2. the shah

the shah Well-Known Member

❁◕ ‿ ◕❁

Last edited: Feb 7, 2014
    7 people like this.
  3. ghostface

ghostface Well-Known Member

i'd like to resurrect this thread with odes to two items that never show up in my fit pics, but which i wear almost every day.

the first is this canvas shoulder bag. i picked it up almost ten years ago because it reminded me of buddhist monk bags i'd seen in southeast asia, and because it has a larger capacity than most messenger bags (it has an inner liner that can pull out and close with a drawstring, effectively doubling the size of the bag). i've carried it nearly every day since then.

[​IMG]

the bag started out deep black, but has faded to a range of brownish-greyish-reddish hues. i like to think about how its colors reflect what it's been through. it's absorbed the dust, dirt, sand, rain, and exhaust fumes of the different countries i've traveled in. it's been unceremoniously stuffed into a crash pad for hundreds of bouldering trips, where it absorbed who-knows-how-much climbing chalk. nearly every time after i'd returned from the mountains or woods, i'd be fishing around in the bag to find a pen or something and instead come up with a handful of twigs, leaves, or pebbles.

over the past couple of years, i've had to make a number of repairs to keep the bag from literally falling apart. some of these i was able to do with a sewing machine, but others had to be done by hand, using sashiko stitching to hold multiple layers of patches together.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the second unsung hero is this viridi-anne belt. i'd looked for a good belt for probably three years before i found this one. all the others i'd seen or tried were boring or flimsy or stiff or had garish buckles that bulged out. when i found this one, i knew the search was over.

first, the leather is incredibly thick but pliant. it just feels substantial. second, it has a slim hand-forged buckle that is low-profile enough not to bulge out under your shirt or draw attention to itself when worn with a shirt tucked in. third, and best of all, it has developed an incredible color that has only gotten better, deeper, and more complex with several years of wear:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

thanks for reading!

Last edited: Feb 16, 2014
    43 people like this.
  4. futuremyth

futuremyth Well-Known Member

Bump for my favourite pair of boots.

Polo roughout suede I got in a trade with a friend a couple years back. Wearing them in all kinds of weather up here and the suede just keeps looking better and better the more beat it gets.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

23 people like this.
  5. eluther

eluther Well-Known Member

Bought a black, non-wool Valstarino off of Yoox – a little disappointed in it compared to the one I got from NMWA

but

I wore it with some fatigues and a white OCBD and, though it's incredibly basic, was really pleased that it worked out so well.

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  6. el Bert

el Bert Well-Known Member

I need to read all posts within next few days. And then edit this post with my entry.

7. the shah

the shah Well-Known Member

Somewhat along these lines, I had compiled some ideas and other reading material in thinking about this. Below is the resulting mess
    An Attempted Heuristic

[​IMG] I'm not sure what's expected here, so I'll just go ahead with some random sources intertwined with my own thoughts. Sorry if this is affected artsy fartsy nonsense suited for overintellectualizing discussions about the irrelevant, I'm not sure how to better impart the simple fact that I enjoy the serene luxury of volume and elegant fabric. I was already familiar, to certain extent, with the works of Yohji Yamamoto many years ago and had come across a few pieces here and there but had never felt compelled to embrace any of it -- either because of some self-conscious malaise or a perceived ideal of what constituted the fashionable, driven almost entirely by externalities. I don't suggest divorcing oneself from context of society, but by putting less emphasis on it removes a judgmental lens of discomfort. ISSEY MIYAKE, YOHJI YAMAMOTO AND REI KAWAKUBO The Antwerp Six have all cited, at various points, the influence these Japanese avant-garde designers had in their careers. And even more recent generations still draw inspiration from those decades, exemplified by Stephan Schneider's desire for his first Yohji suit before embarking to become a niche forum favorite. Deconstructionist Martin Margiela, in fact, worked with Rei Kawakubo on October 14, 1997 for their joint presentation of Margiela collection in conjunction with Comme des Garçons for Spring/Summer 98 (Paris). *
    [throughthesurface.com] *
    [nyu.edu] *
    [http://www.nyu.edu/greyart/exhibits/odysseys/Commerce/body_commerce.html] NATURES AND GEOMETRIES: Fukinsei (asymmetry or dissymmetry) - Balanced symmetry, as humans devise it, does not exist often on nature. Therefore, it is better to make designs asymmetrical if one wishes to create an impression of naturalness. Kanso (simplicity or brevity) - “Less is more” This idea is most evident in Zen gardens, where a single stone may encompass the idea of an entire mountain or island. Remove what is unnecessary, and the composition will be strengthened. Yugen - Subtly profound, suggestion reather than revelation. Datsuzoku - unworldliness, transcendence of conventional. Seijaku - quiet, calm, silent. Koko - (austerity, maturity, bare essentials, venerable, abstraction) - Water is a prime element of a garden, but raked gravel or carefully arranged flat river stones can create the impression of water. Contrast - Contrast can be used to create tension between elements. Tension can create energy, motion and harmony. Lines - Perpendicular lines create tranquillity. Diagonals create tension. Curves soften the effect. Ma (space) - There is openness in everything and nothing exists alone. All objects interact with one another in space. In fact, the space of the garden only exists because there is a larger space outside of it. Where is the space in the composition? Why? How does the composition breathe? Layers of time - Some parts of a composition change with the weather or the angle of the sun. Some change with the season. Others, like stone, hardly change at all for centuries. Yet time changes everything eventually. Good design considers this. Meigakure - This is the quality of remaining hidden from ordinary view. All compositions have a best viewing angle. Find it or create it and control how the viewer approaches and is able to see the composition. For example, bonsai are, in essence, two-dimensional views designed to be viewed from the front only. Set your garden path so that only a single branch of the cherry tree can be seen around the corner and you guarantee the viewer will round that corner. Design the viewer’s experience, not just the garden. On the other hand, do not over-complicate. Wabi and Sabi - Two of the hardest concepts of Japanese aesthetics to express in western language, generally they are wabi; “subdued taste”, “austere”, and sabi; “rustic simplicity”, “mellowed”. These terms were created by the Tea masters of the sixteenth century. Shin, Gyo, So - Shin; controlled or shaped by man, So; things in their natural state, Gyo; the blending of Shin and So to compliment each other. *
    [http://ccbs.ntu.edu.tw/FULLTEXT/JR-ADM/railey.htm] * Enjoyment I've always thought of la mode as a means of manifesting fuzzy ideals in our minds. Those ideals are subject to change, as are our expressions, as we evolve over time. [​IMG] My enjoyment comes from the ease with which I feel Yohji garments can be worn, imparting a sense of fluid tranquility. Sizing is no more than an afterthought -- truly a function of height alone. Often I dress myself by randomly picking pieces from my closet, a peripheral glance in the mirror if that. There's an overabundance of evidence illustrating this point, from short (the man is 5'5 himself) stocky people and tall bean poles, all magnificently placid. This is why I feel it is all just a reflection of one's comfort. Some plagiarized points to ponder:
    • in creating an object, does its maker retain an overriding privilege to its interpretation?
    • must the relationship necessarily be between the designer and the consumer?
    • a small man suffering from an inflated opinion of his own critical authority had said that its the narrative that ennobles the ordinary in clothing, elevating it to fashion.
    • that narrative as a PR measure, brilliantly wielded by some and ineffective in less capable hands. critics like to cling to this because it supposedly grants them some participation in the process.
    • plenty of buyers will give practically anything a chance when good words of endorsement have been written in this blog or that. for a season or two. but the kind of consumer will proceed on to whatever the next thing is just as quickly. in a world of pop-up shops, why are people surprised to see what amounts to pop-up labels?
    • reducing one's own relationship as 'wanting to be a a part of the designer's imagined universe' is pretty pervasive. those engaging in the sort of consumption (or afflicted with it?) are used to having things fully formed and ready for consumption. and, if one's goal is to be consumed as much as possible, it is helpful to have the sort of image that comes out the other end of popular consciousness after it digests you.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] More comprehensive gallery, should anyone be interested in navigating a sea of dimensions across time
    [​IMG] Came across some other interesting photos Yohji Yamamoto Antwerp flagship store opening
    Photo by Elisabeth Broekaert[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [hr] Kiyokazu Washida's たかが服、されど服 Include some runway pics from aw81 up until 2000. Thanks @Asobu !!!
    [​IMG][​IMG] a/w 81-82, s/s 83 [​IMG] s/s 83 [​IMG] a/w 83-84 [​IMG] s/s 84, a/w 83-84 [​IMG] s/s 84 [​IMG] a/w 84-85 [​IMG] s/s 85, a/w 84-85 [​IMG] a/w 85-86 [​IMG] s/s 86 [​IMG] s/s 86 [​IMG] a/w 86-87 [​IMG] a/w 86-87 [​IMG] a/w 87-88 [​IMG] a/w 88-89, s/s 88 [​IMG] s/s 89 [​IMG] a/w 89-90 [​IMG] a/w 89-90 [​IMG] [​IMG] s/s 85 [​IMG] a/w 85-86, s/s 85 [​IMG][​IMG] a/w 85-86, s/s 86 [​IMG] s/s 90 [​IMG][​IMG] a/w 90-91 [​IMG] s/s 91 [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG] a/w 91-92 6.1 THE MEN [​IMG] a/w 91-92, a/w 92-93, s/s 91 [​IMG] a/w 91-92, s/s 91 [​IMG][​IMG] a/w 91-92, s/s 92 [​IMG] a/w 92-93 [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] s/s 93 [​IMG][​IMG] s/s 93 [​IMG] a/w 93-94 [​IMG] s/s 94 [​IMG] a/w 94-95, s/s 94 [​IMG][​IMG] a/w 94-95, s/s 94 [​IMG] s/s 95, a/w 94-95 [​IMG][​IMG] s/s 95, a/w 94-95 [​IMG][​IMG] a/w 93-94, a/w 94-95 [​IMG] a/w 95-96 [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG] a/w 95-96 The SAPPORO Collection [​IMG][​IMG] a/w 95-96, s/s 95 [​IMG][​IMG] s/s 96, s/s 97 [​IMG] a/w 96-97 [​IMG] a/w 96-97 The NEW YORK Collection [​IMG][​IMG] a/w 98-99 [​IMG][​IMG] s/s 96, a/w 96-97 [​IMG][​IMG] s/s 97, a/w 97-98 [​IMG] s/s 98 [​IMG] s/s 99 [​IMG][​IMG] a/w 99-00, ss00 [​IMG] a/w 00-01 [​IMG] s/s 01 [​IMG][​IMG] a/w 01-02 [​IMG] s/s 01 [​IMG] [​IMG] s/s 02
    [hr] *Begin Journey*
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [hr] Yohji Yamamoto Coat 1980s.
    [hr] Yohji Yamamoto Coat 1982.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [hr] Yohji Yamamoto Ensemble 1983
    [hr] Yohji Yamamoto Tunic 1980s
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [hr] Yohji Yamamoto Shirt 1980s
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [hr] Yohji Yamamoto Trousers A/W 1983/84
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [hr] Yohji Yamamoto S/S 1984
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [hr] Yohji Yamamoto Jacket S/S 1984
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [hr] Yohji Yamamto Coat 1984/85
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [hr] Yohji Yamamoto Hat A/W 1986/87
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [hr] Yohji Yamamoto Trousers 1988/89
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [hr] Yohji Yamamoto Coat ca1989
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [hr] Yohji Yamamoto Dress S/S 1989
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [hr] Yohji Yamamoto Ensemble S/S 1990
    [hr] Yohji Yamamoto Felted Wool Coat W/ Gold Metal 1990s
    [​IMG]
    [hr] Yohji Yamamoto Dress 1991
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [hr] Yohji Yamamoto Dress S/S 1993
    [​IMG]
    [hr] Yohji Yamamoto Suit 1993
    [hr] Yohji Yamamoto Hats S/S 1997
    [hr] Yohji Yamamoto Hat ca1998
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [hr] Yohji Yamamoto Secret Silk Dress S/S 1999
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [hr] Yohji Yamamoto Cotton Muslin Wedding Dress 2000
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [hr] Yohji Yamamoto Dress S/S 2005
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [hr] aw98
    [​IMG]
    [hr]

Last edited: Mar 5, 2014
    25 people like this.
  8. ghdvfddzgzdzg

ghdvfddzgzdzg Well-Known Member

MEMOIRS OF AN OLD SHOE

[​IMG]

These are my Gourmet brand knock-off Vans. I bought them from Gilt in 2011, and I proceeded to wear them into the ground, starting with a breaking-in weekend in which they were my kayaking shoes and were thus wet for 36 hours straight.

[​IMG]

A year later I wore them I dancing all night in Istanbul, ending up in Taksim Square at dawn, doing the cooking dance in front of the monument with Ataturk looking down. I must have let them rest for a day after that, but I know they saw miles of Turkish pavement the day before and for many days later.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Having proved their comfort and resilience, they came with me to Japan the next year so that I could wear them while petting deer in Nara, singing karaoke until the trains start running again, and looking like a weirdo in the streets while being laughed at by schoolchildren.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And I did a little actual skateboarding in them. They've gone through the washing machine a few times and finally are developing holes in the canvas and are otherwise pretty unpresentable. But I've welcomed the indigo stains, the unexplained splotches, the shoes-not-narrow-enough overlapping vamp thing I tried and never undid. They never treated me wrong, though I wronged them many times. Thanks, shoes.

19 people like this.
  9. t3hg0suazn

t3hg0suazn Well-Known Member

yes this thread needs to be resurrected

10. wogbog

wogbog Well-Known Member

ghostface's post has inspired me to get my favourite bag repaired instead of buying a new one.

4 people like this.
  11. diniro

diniro Well-Known Member

edit: wrong thread woops

Last edited: Oct 11, 2014
  12. ghostface

ghostface Well-Known Member

awesome :) saving the world's cotton, one boll at a time.

you should post pics in here once you get it fixed up

13. cold war painter

cold war painter Well-Known Member

In the cooler seasons I nearly always wear a blue oxford cloth shirt - MC or SWD, tie or no tie, alone under a jacket or layered with other shirts/jumpers/etc. I was looking at a stack that came back from the laundry waiting to be put away and thought of this thread. They are always reliable and comfortable, and make me contented.

[​IMG]

(top down = TBB, EG Workaday, two mto from Acorn fabric)

2 people like this.
  14. Oldsrocket27

Oldsrocket27 Well-Known Member

I originally bought these shoes for $2 at a Salvation Army in like new condition 14 years ago. I still don't have a clue who made them, but since then I've worn them to Chernobyl and back (quite literally) and I've loved them every step of the way. At this point I've worn through the insole and midsole all the way to the point where the outsole is (barely) visible from the inside of the heel of the shoe. Still, I'd never get rid of these shoes, because they're ridiculously comfortable. I've never owned an item for longer, and I've never been happier with a purchase.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  15. clotheshorse69

clotheshorse69 Well-Known Member

ho boy

luxury wallets/some crazy wallet chains
    alterations to suits/jackets/stuff i ended up donating/selling
    swedish clog-boots that i really didn't need
    eskimo boots — i was trying to be different (being different doesn't always mean good)
    more cashmere socks — i can now assert they are overrated and high maintenance
    fancy collar stays
    more cashmere sweats/track pants — no one gives a f*** if you're wearing cashmere pants
    macbook air 11" — just so my macbook air 13" wouldn't be lonely lol

16. thefoxtooth

thefoxtooth Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

I posted this pic as an aside in another thread, but this thread seems to be the home it was searching for. I bought the above Red Wings in 1990. They've had periods of more and less use, but they've come with me everywhere and I still wear them. Like, frequently. Yes, look again. You read right. 1990.

But although they're a marvel of utility and durability, I think the contentment they bring is something hard to explain to people who are not also posting loving pictures of worn-out shoes. (Or amazingly not-worn-out, as the case may be.) The things we wear, the things we carry: they become, not part of us, but a sort of imprint of who we are, like a handprint in wet concrete. A little like the handprint I left in a bridge near Hampton Court Palace, alongside those of a long-ago girlfriend, when I was wearing these boots, which were new at the time. I haven't seen the girl in years, and I have no idea whether the prints are still there, out on the other side of the world. But the boots are still right where they ought to be, all these years later, keeping my feet dry.

My small daughter is my heart's darling, and really her blanket is just a rag, but by its keeping her warm and content some of my love for her prints itself onto the stupid thing, and I can't ever look at it again without a small ache of joy. I hope one day she'll feel the same way about these boots, and when I've finally succeeded in rendering them completely unwearable—provided such a thing is possible—I will put them safely aside somewhere, and store away, possibly, one more lovely small ache.

21 people like this.
  17. MickeyPunch

MickeyPunch Well-Known Member

This thread is great, too bad it doesn't get updated that often.

18. gr789

gr789 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    This post is not going to be as deep as many on this thread. I am impressed by the quality of the thoughts posted here. But the thread was started with the invitation to discuss surprising combinations of clothes that worked. So please be patient with my thought here!
    When chasing after a silly white ball, I am content to wear color combinations that I would never ordinarily entertain in my work life.

1 person likes this.
  19. brad-t

brad-t Well-Known Member

20. hendrix

hendrix Well-Known Member

Haha yes that's actually a very appropriate thought for this thread. I'd be interested to see where it leads.