• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Technical Outerwear

Roger la Rock

Reaction score
Probably a stupid question but does "Schoeller" have to be re-treated or anything to keep it's water resistance?
Most water resistant fabrics have a silicon or fluoropolymer hydrophobic coating. These lose their effectiveness over time, but can be reactivated to some degree by heat.

The nanosphere treatment has a very fine texture that acts as a disruptive surface and prevents dirt and water from sticking. It is designed to be longer lasting than hydrophobic coatings, but it will still wear out in time.

Roger la Rock

Reaction score
I've found that Schoeller Dryskin and WB-400 fabrics are really tough and abrasion resistant. They are also nicely stretchy, and don't permanently stretch out the way woven cotton does. The caveat is that they make a huge range of fabrics, so I'd guess that the lighter fabrics with finer yarn will be more delicate. The Nomad shorts look to be a lighter fabric than my unkillable MEC jacket. And like any "refined" fabric (smooth yarns, even dyeing, smooth finish), they won't age as nicely as a more irregular natural fabric. The life of the shorts will likely depend more on your tolerance for visible wear, rather than complete destruction.

If you have a tailor who will handle this kind of thing, you could probably get them to make you a pair of shorts for not much more than the Nomads. If you've got a lifter's thighs and seat, bespoke shorts will fit you way better.

My experience of dryskin is that it is tough and abrasion resistant, except against itself. There are a lot of variations on the fabric so you would need to know exactly which version it is. I had a pair of dryskin pants with the fabric containing cordura fibres. Worst pants I ever had. They pilled terribly through the crotch as the fabric was extremely abrasive against itself, but worse still they abraded anything worn against them. Wore through the hem of a softshell jacket after just a few wears.

ceoceo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That is one knowledgeable rock! When I asked Outlier before they said about 3 years of regular wear is when elastine pants lose shape and nanosphere wear out. 'So what happens after then?' They said after that they become a good looking regular pants. :D

Last edited:

aether

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just dropped $1200 at ISAORA on the 29th, then I waltz over to SuFu on the 1st to find that ISAORA had a 40% off promotion on the 29th. ****!

scamster

Reaction score
aether drop isaora an email or give them a call they may back date the discount for you, they're helpful guys.

Coldsnap

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Speaking of ISAORA, their IO line wasnt included in the sale today which said entire collection. I guess IO is a whole other thing. I have a jacked from the IO line which I like a lot.

I just dropped $1200 at ISAORA on the 29th, then I waltz over to SuFu on the 1st to find that ISAORA had a 40% off promotion on the 29th. ****!

Share whatcha bought at least! What you get and how you like it?

Last edited:

scamster

Reaction score
their black friday code only covered what they call the isaora collection (main line) which is separate from io (basics range).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads