• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

tonster

Reaction score
It’s a valid question. I used to be a frequent customer but I live in Toronto so I was able to visit the Mississauga location once or twice and then, once it was open, the downtown store which was a short walk from my work. I cannot tell you how many things I tried that just didn’t fit (even though they should have, because I bought same size/style before).

I was able to build a nice wardrobe no the less. At its peak it was probably 10 pairs of trousers and 15 jackets plus a number of shirts, knits, accessories, etc.

Then pandemic came and WFH began and my needs drastically changed. And Spier closed the downtown store. 😞

The combo of reduced demand from my side and more difficult supply (no chance to easy try things on) made me slowly drift from the brand. I hate the changes from season to season and inconsistencies in sizing and fit. For my current needs, I can get a polo shirt or a pair of khakis in a large number of vendors. If I still needed tailored items, Spier, even with all the issues, would be a solid contender but you’d need to accept that dealing with the annoying stuff would need to be factored in into the total experience.
This describes my experience perfectly. I’ve been a customer for ~7 years and my entire wardrobe is virtually S&M. Since the pandemic something changed. I ordered MTM shirts and two out of three were not even close. The only one they got right was the first one that was supposed to confirm the measurements. To compensate I got $15 credit that I can only use for future MTM. Weird? And I can’t even confirm that credit is on my account. My last in-store experience was so underwhelming (no assistance, couldn’t find sizes) that I have no motivation to ever visit again. I really need to get more suits but am now considering just getting MTM at Harry’s because I have lost faith in S&M. I haven’t purchased anything RTW even despite the sales because I noticed they just jack up the prices before the “sales”.

blewnote1

Reaction score
This describes my experience perfectly. I’ve been a customer for ~7 years and my entire wardrobe is virtually S&M. Since the pandemic something changed. I ordered MTM shirts and two out of three were not even close. The only one they got right was the first one that was supposed to confirm the measurements. To compensate I got $15 credit that I can only use for future MTM. Weird? And I can’t even confirm that credit is on my account. My last in-store experience was so underwhelming (no assistance, couldn’t find sizes) that I have no motivation to ever visit again. I really need to get more suits but am now considering just getting MTM at Harry’s because I have lost faith in S&M. I haven’t purchased anything RTW even despite the sales because I noticed they just jack up the prices before the “sales”.

Huh? Everytime I've bought an item on sale it has definitely been cheaper then the regular price, sometimes by quite a lot, if it was already discounted 20% and another 10-20% sale gets thrown on top of it. Sometimes the discount isn't that great, but let's be realistic, the base price is pretty reasonable to begin with.

tonster

Reaction score
Huh? Everytime I've bought an item on sale it has definitely been cheaper then the regular price, sometimes by quite a lot, if it was already discounted 20% and another 10-20% sale gets thrown on top of it. Sometimes the discount isn't that great, but let's be realistic, the base price is pretty reasonable to begin with.
I’ve been keeping an eye on outerwear and the price will drop by some amount and then go back up when there’s a sale.

I’m not saying it’s not a good deal or the same price as regular price, I just realized the prices don’t keep dropping after each sale.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ve been keeping an eye on outerwear and the price will drop by some amount and then go back up when there’s a sale.

I’m not saying it’s not a good deal or the same price as regular price, I just realized the prices don’t keep dropping after each sale.
Wait, huh? Not even saying you're wrong, but genuinely am not understanding. Prices drop pre-sale, then return at an increased price (presumably from the initial offering) during a sale?

tonster

Reaction score
Wait, huh? Not even saying you're wrong, but genuinely am not understanding. Prices drop pre-sale, then return at an increased price (presumably from the initial offering) during a sale?
Yes.

I noticed this most recently with their shorts sale. Original price was $88 and they went down to $68. When they had a buy 2 or more promo the price was back at $88.

JTrent82

Reaction score
Yes.

I noticed this most recently with their shorts sale. Original price was $88 and they went down to $68. When they had a buy 2 or more promo the price was back at $88.
This is a known thing that retailers do- it even has a name which I'm forgetting. Definitely not particular to S&M.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes.

Something is getting lost in translation, as that is decidedly not what I asked. SM runs cyclical sales is the takeaway from this...which, I mean, not exactly underhanded tactics lol

tonster

Reaction score
Something is getting lost in translation, as that is decidedly not what I asked. SM runs cyclical sales is the takeaway from this...which, I mean, not exactly underhanded tactics lol
You’re right, I’m not saying it’s underhanded or deceitful. My point was based on my recent experiences, collectively, I don’t feel as compelled to impulse buy new arrivals as in the past, even when they have the sales.

blewnote1

Reaction score
This is a known thing that retailers do- it even has a name which I'm forgetting. Definitely not particular to S&M.

I think it's just called a sale? There's no requirement for a retailer to keep the price something is lowered to during a sale after the sale has ended. And there's no requirement that a retailer offer the prior sale price for an item when offering a new sale such as a buy 2 get one free or whatever it was (I didn't see that particular sale... Not really interested in shorts from S and M).

Some retailers only have sales at the end of season, but many including S & M, have them periodically. Often you just have to be patient for one to come back around (for example, I ordered some things during a knitwear sale, thought about what I needed to return and was actually prepared to pay full price for the things I'd figured out sizing/color on and then they went on sale again just in time for my purchase).

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You’re right, I’m not saying it’s underhanded or deceitful. My point was based on my recent experiences, collectively, I don’t feel as compelled to impulse buy new arrivals as in the past, even when they have the sales.
You're saying different things across just about every post lol, so I'll just leave you to whatever your POV is.

stuffedsuperdud

Reaction score
While you guys are splitting hairs about about saving $30 on an item none of us truly needs, I'm busy hoovering up the lone 46Rs they have of all the new items.

So these suede trucker and flight jackets...As long as I'm up in the Highlands in my new hunting jacket, circlejerking it with Kirby Allison and a bunch of inbred pro-Brexit Fukking Fulford types while missing everything with my borrowed Purdey SXS, I figured I should also take one of these with me. Anyone have any idea how they fit? The #s for flight and trucker, even for the 46, seem awfully small; my 46 Baracuta for example has like a 50" chest, whereas this one tops out at ~49 (which might very well be ~47.5 with Spier-math).

TheLawBeard

Reaction score
Oooof. Action back - so much good news. It’s a beauty here, but I also suspect this means the pattern is now relatively accessible for MTO… what a gem.

I have Spier’s first iteration “hunting jacket” from about 3 years ago, with the detachable leather throat latch and I absolutely love it. Such a beauty. My only wish is it had these added details.
View attachment 2011929
Action back with that belted back would definitely be of interest to me in the MTO section. Probably with flapped patch hip pockets.

And I'm sure I'll catch some judgment for this- I would probably do it in a spring/summer or three season fabric. Hopsack or mockleno perhaps.

TheLawBeard

Reaction score
While you guys are splitting hairs about about saving $30 on an item none of us truly needs, I'm busy hoovering up the lone 46Rs they have of all the new items.

So these suede trucker and flight jackets...As long as I'm up in the Highlands in my new hunting jacket, circlejerking it with Kirby Allison and a bunch of inbred pro-Brexit Fukking Fulford types while missing everything with my borrowed Purdey SXS, I figured I should also take one of these with me. Anyone have any idea how they fit? The #s for flight and trucker, even for the 46, seem awfully small; my 46 Baracuta for example has like a 50" chest, whereas this one tops out at ~49 (which might very well be ~47.5 with Spier-math).
As one of the other 46R wearers here- I feel your pain. Feels like there's a few of us competing for the 1-2 they stock of each SC/suit each season. For what it's worth, you probably won't have much competition from me this season. I'm disgorging some of my collection (spier included) and downsizing based on changed jobs and preferences.

Cause Moe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm on the custom trouser page. Tab 1, fabric. Tab 2, options. Now, tab 3, sizing. There's a drop-down that says "Select Saved Size" or "Add New Size." The drop-down doesn't seem to do anything. How do I save a size? How do I load a saved size?

stuffedsuperdud

Reaction score
As one of the other 46R wearers here- I feel your pain. Feels like there's a few of us competing for the 1-2 they stock of each SC/suit each season. For what it's worth, you probably won't have much competition from me this season. I'm disgorging some of my collection (spier included) and downsizing based on changed jobs and preferences.

Oooh, as long as you're here, have you ever ordered one of their RTW 3 piece suits? I did so for the first time a few weeks ago and had to return it because the vest was way too tight. It was labeled 46 and SM confirmed the #s were within spec, but there's no way that jacket and vest could be for the same person. I've gotten vests via MTO before that fit fine, and they were done using the stock size #s when you select 46 from the dropdown; the RTW one was at least 1.5" smaller than these in the chest and waist.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads