• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hello, having a bad experience with S&M. ordered my 4th suit from them as the other 3 were done really well with the first one being having to be remade entirely. I made some minor (and I mean very minor) changes to the 4th one. when it came it had a horrible collar roll. I was very specific to write in the dialog box upon order to refer to the previous orders for measurements.

I reached out 2.5 months ago to them about how to fix the collar roll but since then it's just basically them telling me every other week that they have to ask the factory what the mess up was. I cannot wear the suit in this condition. I am also not able to take it to a tailor incase the want to take the jacket back and adjust it themselves, which is what I rather what they do. I had been planning on order a suit or jacket from them every so often as I think for the most part they nailed my fit. But with customer service like this I am really doubting my trust in them to communicate.

my guess is they wanted me to wait till my credit card charge back period had expired and just tagged me along. I cannot imagine that it takes 2.5 months for an email answer from their factory as to what happened.

any advice?

I mean, very poor customer service, but if it were me, I'd just take it to a local tailor and see if they can fix it before I'd bother sending back and forth.. I'd have to assume that would take months, judging on the response times

Commonbloke

Reaction score
Fresh out of the box. The lapel roll seems different than in all my other regular cut sportcoat (not that I am complaining I like this one better). Sleeve will need shortening so I rolled them for the picture.

Attachments

• tempImageflok9d.png
    tempImageflok9d.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 235

Betelgeuse

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Blondie87

Reaction score
So I’ve been able to zero in on my trouser size and find that the 34 Slim fits me well OTR. I usually buy the regular rise, flat front trousers. Have bought 3 so far. I have no dreaded shirt triangle and only the bottom half of my belt shows if I have my hand in my pocket while wearing a sport coat. The last trouser purchase I made you all convinced me to try a pair with side tabs… BLUF, I really like the way they look with no belt! I’m eyeing a couple of the new trousers and wanted to get some feedback on the high rise/single reverse pleat style.

If anyone here has bought trousers from Spier in both regular rise w/flat front and high rise:
1. The only difference I see in the size chart is the rise is 1.1 inch higher on the high rise (but that includes the waistband). Is the difference really 1.1 inches? Does it feel significantly higher?
2. How much of a difference does the single pleat make? I don’t find the flat front trousers restricting at all but wonder if the pleats make it more comfortable? I have a slight dad bod but am for the most part slim. I grew up hearing pleats are for old/overweight men. Based on the photos I see posted here I don’t think that’s true but wanted to see if anyone thinks the pleats make things seem too baggy?

JTrent82

Reaction score
So I’ve been able to zero in on my trouser size and find that the 34 Slim fits me well OTR. I usually buy the regular rise, flat front trousers. Have bought 3 so far. I have no dreaded shirt triangle and only the bottom half of my belt shows if I have my hand in my pocket while wearing a sport coat. The last trouser purchase I made you all convinced me to try a pair with side tabs… BLUF, I really like the way they look with no belt! I’m eyeing a couple of the new trousers and wanted to get some feedback on the high rise/single reverse pleat style.

If anyone here has bought trousers from Spier in both regular rise w/flat front and high rise:
1. The only difference I see in the size chart is the rise is 1.1 inch higher on the high rise (but that includes the waistband). Is the difference really 1.1 inches? Does it feel significantly higher?
2. How much of a difference does the single pleat make? I don’t find the flat front trousers restricting at all but wonder if the pleats make it more comfortable? I have a slight dad bod but am for the most part slim. I grew up hearing pleats are for old/overweight men. Based on the photos I see posted here I don’t think that’s true but wanted to see if anyone thinks the pleats make things seem too baggy?
S&M's "high rise" is just where trousers should fit imo. It's right about natural waist on me. I'd actually prefer them half an inch higher. I can't wear anything lower- wearing pants that sit close to the hips feels unnatural to me. As far as pleats, ditch the old man stereotype, or rather realize that old men know what's up. They're designed to expand when seated and contract when upright, so really to counteract bagginess. The thigh can fit closer than on flat fronts and still remain comfortable while seated. It also extends the crease all the way up to the waistband for a clean, elongated line. That said, I do not favor pleats on more casual trousers. Cords, moleskins, chinos, etc. look better with a flat front imo.

GenericUser

Reaction score

I don`t think pleats cause any difference in fit. This trousers with single pleats, size 34 slim.
P.S. Sorry for the dirty mirror. I took these photos at my office.

Attachments

• IMG_20230426_092732.jpg
    IMG_20230426_092732.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_20230426_092723.jpg
    IMG_20230426_092723.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_20230426_092709.jpg
    IMG_20230426_092709.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 205

tomm94

Reaction score
Trying my best robo-pose but all S&M today aside from the shoes. Jacket is the new “sand mix” (wearing it into the office today so I can take it to the tailor to have the sleeves shortened), shirt is last year’s copper collar and trousers last years medium brown high twist which are back in stock this year.

52DD3CDE-B70A-4A15-834B-5BE6E0640FAA.jpeg

55E6A773-67AC-4C56-A7F6-71C947DDEF22.jpeg

Blondie87

Reaction score
S&M's "high rise" is just where trousers should fit imo. It's right about natural waist on me. I'd actually prefer them half an inch higher. I can't wear anything lower- wearing pants that sit close to the hips feels unnatural to me. As far as pleats, ditch the old man stereotype, or rather realize that old men know what's up. They're designed to expand when seated and contract when upright, so really to counteract bagginess. The thigh can fit closer than on flat fronts and still remain comfortable while seated. It also extends the crease all the way up to the waistband for a clean, elongated line. That said, I do not favor pleats on more casual trousers. Cords, moleskins, chinos, etc. look better with a flat front imo.
Thank you for the response! I think i’ll give them a try, what you said about pleats having more room sitting down makes sense.

mundieTRAINS

Reaction score
Is it too early for polo talk? Usually around this time of year people are comparing stories about how bizarre the polo sizing is. I went back a few pages and nary a polo mentioned.

I'd hate to once again order and find they're not wearable. Last three wound up at Goodwill. Any reviews, fit pics, would be appreciated. Thanks.
I stocked up on white button collar this year. This is my staple shirt and almost all I wear year round under blazers. I’m usually an XL in nearly every other polo brand but an XXL in S&M.

Fit seems the same but I think they haven’t shrunk as much. The fabric is different. It’s stiffer, cooler hand. More prone to wrinkling. More structure. Maybe slightly more transparent

I had to put the old and the new on back to back to try to figure out if the older ones are actually just laundered more and decided that the new fabric is indeed different. The weave is physically different

I need to grab some more of those down nylon vests so I’ll probably get some of the grey melange polos as well

Jtbrooks

Reaction score
Anyone have any insight as to whether there is more summer suiting or linen trousers coming out soon? Trying to plan some purchases for a wedding in the French countryside this July

Simon Chambers

Reaction score
Anyone have any insight as to whether there is more summer suiting or linen trousers coming out soon? Trying to plan some purchases for a wedding in the French countryside this July
I'm also interested in seeing if there are more linen trousers coming. Looking for separates to wear for work in warm climates in the coming year or two

Enox

Reaction score
Would love to see a cream summer suit! That way I can buy a matching pair for a suit and separates.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kingjames771