• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Re: Christmas came early at casa holymadness -- UPDATED with photos

D Yizz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas
a few threads down from this is a link to Costco selling (boneless) hams. I just bought one. $137 for an 11-lbs. ham with expedited shipping and a non-member upcharge.

Yeah, I saw that as soon as I posted. However, I'd love to get my hands in one of the bone-in ones.....

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by D Yizz
Yeah, I saw that as soon as I posted. However, I'd love to get my hands in one of the bone-in ones.....

I've posted in this thread on that issue as well.

Latienda.com is your friend.

D Yizz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
I like a good pig as much as the next guy (and I also like pork) but the hoof and hair are a bit too "real" for me in this instance.

Guess you won't be able to stand a whole "lechón asa'o" then.

guavate0002.jpg

..or some yummy morcillas (blood sausages)

morcilla.jpg

lol8[1].gif

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1 for La Tienda.

I get snack sized single serving portions of Iberico in individual foil/airtight wraps.

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
I like a good pig as much as the next guy (and I also like pork) but the hoof and hair are a bit too "real" for me in this instance.
m011.jpg
I think people should know where their food comes from. The North American "sanitization" of food has had two sad consequences: a) the illusion that meat is something trimmed, de-boned, pre-cut, packaged and kept fresh in a cooler under halogen lights rather than the product of a lifecycle that ends in death and butchering. b) the steady reduction of meat on offer to the least "offensive" pieces, e.g. steaks, breasts, chops. Good luck finding tail, tongue, tripe, brain, or sweet meats in most supermarkets.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by holymadness
I think people should know where their food comes from. The North American "sanitization" of food has had two sad consequences: a) the illusion that meat is something trimmed, de-boned, pre-cut, packaged and kept fresh in a cooler under halogen lights rather than the product of a lifecycle that ends in death and butchering. b) the steady reduction of meat on offer to the least "offensive" pieces, e.g. steaks, breasts, chops. Good luck finding tail, tongue, tripe, brain, or sweet meats in most supermarkets.
I agree, and I would add that it has contributed to generally unhealthy attitudes towards meat, both in what people eat and sustainability. Meat constitutes an overly large %age of the American diet, and along with the inflated quantities and waste, this has caused animal farming to reach unwieldy and highly un-natural proportions. I have long thought that some sort of farming and butchering course should be a part of the basic, required curriculum in high schools.

D Yizz

Reaction score
m011.jpg

I did an internship at a meat processing plant in the early 90s. Offel came from the slaughterhouse in a separate bag and was delivered fresh the next morning to supermarkets. Over here, although many people cringe at the thought, there is still a good market for those as well as liver and kidneys. As you can see, we eat the freaking whole pig, inside and out. Funny thing is, I know people that love blood sausages and the whole lot, but will not eat a fresh slaughtered chicken. Bleh.

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gross.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
m011.jpg

I totally agree. Maybe if people realized this they would think twice before shoving it in a microwave, or in an oven and cooking it until it is leather. I have to say that, even as somebody who has done a fair amount of butchering of large-ish cuts of meat, though not for some years, my experience with the pig in France this year, my first time with a whole animal of any great size, changed my point of view about meat, food and especially how to make sure you don't dishonor a life by tossing away edible parts. Sounds kind of silly, but what can I say.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I think part of the reason the US is so litigious in medicine is due to people no longer being in touch with the cycle of life, thinking meat is something "harvested" from the butcher counter.

soxpats

Reaction score
m011.jpg

I think people should know where their food comes from. The North American "sanitization" of food has had two sad consequences:

a) the illusion that meat is something trimmed, de-boned, pre-cut, packaged and kept fresh in a cooler under halogen lights rather than the product of a lifecycle that ends in death and butchering.

b) the steady reduction of meat on offer to the least "offensive" pieces, e.g. steaks, breasts, chops. Good luck finding tail, tongue, tripe, brain, or sweet meats in most supermarkets.

I'm OK with all of this. Very happy not to eat any brains, tripe, tongue etc. I'll happily give you my share
nod[1].gif
nod[1].gif

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members