• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Re: Christmas came early at casa holymadness -- UPDATED with photos

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by holymadness
Is it illegal to import to the USA? My father-in-law and I have pipe dreams of starting a jamon exporting business.

If I recall, it was illegal until about 2005... then last year they cranked down on the regulations, saying it could not be imported with the hoof. I assume that was enacted.

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I understood you still have to trim the hoof even today. So I'm curious what holeyhamdess' story for receiving this gift is...

TheIdler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
People say it'll last forever with the cloth over it, but they never last for long in my house.

Also, cutting it with that special knife takes practice to get the slices real thin. But when you do...
drool.gif

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cary Grant
If I recall, it was illegal until about 2005... then last year they cranked down on the regulations, saying it could not be imported with the hoof. I assume that was enacted.
Without the hoof, how can you tell it's pata negra?
Originally Posted by pebblegrain
I understood you still have to trim the hoof even today. So I'm curious what holeyhamdess' story for receiving this gift is...
I don't live in America. This particular ham was just driven across the border by my inlaws.
Originally Posted by TheIdler
People say it'll last forever with the cloth over it, but they never last for long in my house. Also, cutting it with that special knife takes practice to get the slices real thin. But when you do...
drool.gif

After doing some reading, I learned you should cover the exposed meat with the trimmed-away fat before wrapping it in a cloth to prevent it from drying out (this is my first whole jamón). I'll probably start carving it after I go to the market on Thursday. I can post photos if anyone's interested in seeing how it's (probably not supposed to be) done.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'd love to see photos, the knife used, where you started on the ham, whatever and all of the above.

What kind of cloth is being referred to so you can keep the meat from drying out? Do you use a flour sack cloth with food or pharmacy grade mineral oil on it?

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is a bit of a rude question; but do you have some idea of what that gift might cost the average consumer?

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HORNS
I'd love to see photos, the knife used, where you started on the ham, whatever and all of the above. What kind of cloth is being referred to so you can keep the meat from drying out? Do you use a flour sack cloth with food or pharmacy grade mineral oil on it?
Will do. I was just told to use any old cloth; oil wasn't mentioned. We're using some old dishtowels.
Originally Posted by SField
This is a bit of a rude question; but do you have some idea of what that gift might cost the average consumer?
Somewhat cheaper than you might expect, both because the bone counts for much of the weight and because it was bought in Spain rather than abroad. Price would depend on AOC and other criteria for quality, but I'd guess around 200 € for the whole leg (which weighs between 6.5 and 7.5kg). Puro bellota starts at around 350 € iirc but can go much higher. I've seen some hams in València advertised for as little as 100 €, but then it becomes a question of what you're paying for. EDIT: forgot to mention these prices are before VAT, so add another 18%.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Awesome gift. Really, this is pretty cool. I can't imagine having that puppy hanging around. Midnight snacks FTW! Congrats.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mharwitt
that's the least appetizing turkey i've ever seen
I swear to god I had no idea that it wasn't some sort of weird ass Turkey until I started reading the thread.

Cognacad

Reaction score
I was quite confident it wasn't a turkey, but I wouldn't of fought it if people in this thread said it was!

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
nice piggy!

I've heard of some places serving this on warmed plates. Is this the right practice?

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I have always understood you could get these, though they are expensive, and I don't know if they're the ultimate in quality. http://www.tienda.com/food/products/jm-106.html?site=1 That's the Iberico Bellota - though you can get a bone-in "plain" Serrano (I don't know the other grades) for considerably less: http://www.tienda.com/food/products/jm-65.html?site=1 La Tienda is a nice site - I've ordered some things from them before and they're reliable and reputable. I've considered these hams a number of times, but I think I'd have a tough time getting through the whole thing. Might get one for my wedding though. I'm curious about that knife though - the slicing seems like it might be tricky.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clementinezia81