• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

aspirant

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rmanoj
I'm actually wearing one now (
frown.gif
). It was my first ever suit - got it when I was 16 (will be 20 in May) before I knew anything about clothes. It's a charcoal 3-button and I think it still fits quite well (might be a bit on the tight side) and looks OK (trousers need pressing). I put it on today to find out what sort of condition it was in, and then realised why I hardly ever feel like wearing it: the coat is very stiff and uncomfortable compared to my woollen ones. I'm not sure if that applies to all poly/wool blends though.

Pretentiousness is reserved for more senior members. We have to keep it pent up till we're past 500 posts =D

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So, what's the deal with wool/poly or wool/cotton blend fabric for an odd jacket or sport coat in lieu of wearing a cardigan? I am trying to get the same comfortable out of a cardigan but still have the same aesthetic as a jacket. Most soft unstructured jackets seem to be more on the blended material end versus 100% of one type.

Does this come down to personal taste, or is a general rule of thumb to stay away from blends regardless of how one intends to wear their clothes. Again, for me I am prioritizing comfort and fit, then aesthetic.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks bad equals looks bad. More than a tiny amount of exterior polyester is likely to make an odd jacket look cheap. Also, with enough polyester, the jacket won't be very breathable. The likely reason many unstructured jackets are blends is because they're low-end items made for casual use. Wool/cotton would be much better than wool/polyester.

aDrummingDude

Reaction score
Originally Posted by superfans124
you already know the answer

+1, I fully agree

But I've always wondered why certain makers ( Like ARMANI ) seem to always have 3% of polyester or elasthane in their suiting fabrics?

Is it because they are so cost conscious that they save a great deal for the entire production run by using that 3% of a synthetic?

You never see makers like Kiton, Brioni, or Oxxford using synthetics in their fabrics ( or at least I don't ).

I remember reading an interview with Giorgio Armani where the interviewer asked him that same question. His response was that he likes the way poly drapes....when used in a blend I'm assuming.

Badenoch

Reaction score
You can wear a light wool suit and get the lightness and the wear of a mix suit...
They might be a tad more solid but it makes your suit a bit more shiny and cheap..
Do not do it...

Dumb question here, but isn't the goal of wool to have a sheen to it as well?

I can understand the comfort and temperature regulation issue but really and truly isn't the astetic a matter of personal choice since some textiles seek to achieve the very same effect?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads