• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Loudly

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rnoldh
+1, I fully agree But I've always wondered why certain makers ( Like ARMANI ) seem to always have 3% of polyester or elasthane in their suiting fabrics? Is it because they are so cost conscious that they save a great deal for the entire production run by using that 3% of a synthetic? You never see makers like Kiton, Brioni, or Oxxford using synthetics in their fabrics ( or at least I don't ).
Good question, but I look at it the other way. I've had two (real!) Prada suits, very long lasting and hard wearing, both of which had some percentage of elasthane, or lycra, or some other man made stretchy stuff. They were very comfortable and breathable, and the stretchy fabric was a great bonus where you have a fairly slim Prada-type fit. You wouldn't have any idea just looking at the fabric that it wasn't 100% wool. I would go for it again in getting a suit made by a "normal" tailor, but the fabric's not easy to find and I think more traditional tailors would look at me like I'm nuts.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Lycra is all right for a cheap travel suits...It is stretchy and comfortable but I would not pay Prada prices to get one of them...

ginlimetonic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mt_spiffy
A lot of people I know prefer poly blend to 100% wool, especially in the finer fabrics (130s and up), as it is more durable.
yeh i got a suit made from scabal 130s ... it contains terylene & cashmere. So even thou its synthetic, its not a 'cheap' suit.

Agatha Crusty

Reaction score
There is another benefit: polyester suits are 100% moth-proof!

On another note though, it's true that they aren't the best of the best, but the clothing snobbery among some people would demand everyone open an account with a Savile Row/Jermyn St. tailor. Can't be done, it's too expensive for some people who shouldn't have to fork out that price for an occasonal suit. Or pay over -the-odds for a moderately-fitting wool suit off-the-peg.
I have 2 bespoke suits and only one is wool; the second one (made up at half the usual price) is 40% polyester. The cloth is marvellous and I'm willing to bet it will blow away any off-the-peg overpriced suit from the likes of YSL etc.

There are also a number of people living in warm places moaning about sweating and heat. Let's be honest a place like California isn't even suit weather anyway so it's not going to take much to give a man swamp ass - hence the sea of short trousers and the sartorial desperados sweating like idiots in lightweight flannel just to 'wear a suit'.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
*sigh* people are snobs. I am assuming that you are not talking about some kind of shiny ass mirror ball suit, and with that prequalification, I say if it looks good, feels good, tailors well, fits well, suits you, and fits into your budget, then do it.

amplifiedheat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Loudly
They were very comfortable and breathable, and the stretchy fabric was a great bonus where you have a fairly slim Prada-type fit.

I have to think that if you need stretch, you're doing it wrong.

Agatha Crusty

Reaction score
Originally Posted by amplifiedheat
I have to think that if you need stretch, you're doing it wrong.

Maybe the money to do it "right" isn't forthcoming.

In any case, among my several traditional wool suits I also have one with a little stretch in it which I use for travelling and it makes all the difference. Several lazy tailors (including some of those on Savile Row) seem to skip cutting some of the inner construction on the bias - like in the arm scye - and it leaves the suit feeling pretty stiff. Not good if you plan travelling.

cbbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Agatha Crusty
The cloth is marvellous and I'm willing to bet it will blow away any off-the-peg overpriced suit from the likes of YSL etc.

I like to think the bar is a bit higher than YSL around here.

Agatha Crusty

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cbbuff
I like to think the bar is a bit higher than YSL around here.

I wouldn't know, I've never had a garment by YSL. I don't buy brands I buy clothes and fit is most important to me.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A little research here would show you that this is amongst the silliest ideas that you could have.

entrero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fine example of groupthink. However if blend suit fits better, always pick fit over fabric choice

rmanoj

Reaction score
I'm actually wearing one now (
frown.gif
). It was my first ever suit - got it when I was 16 (will be 20 in May) before I knew anything about clothes. It's a charcoal 3-button and I think it still fits quite well (might be a bit on the tight side) and looks OK (trousers need pressing). I put it on today to find out what sort of condition it was in, and then realised why I hardly ever feel like wearing it: the coat is very stiff and uncomfortable compared to my woollen ones. I'm not sure if that applies to all poly/wool blends though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads