• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Paul Sargent (formerly Alfred Sargent) Appreciation Thread

chrfi

Reaction score
I took my favorite pair back to rotation for the winter. I have to admit I boxed them in the spring without doing proper work on them. I now treated them with some Saphir Reno and fixed the very worn looking edges / welts with some polish and dark brown color. They look like new again and ready for their, I think, seventh winter.

gOt5iQu.jpg

ForwardPleats

Reaction score
I ordered a pair of cherry Moore’s right when PS came back online. They arrived about a month ago and are really great. Exactply what one expected of the old AS - super high quality leather and staining, different trim details that are not G&G.

But, I sent in a pair of burgundy (mto) Moore’s at roughly the same time for resoling and have been unable to locate them. This despite several exchanged messages with the team.

so the craftsmanship is there but the business ops not yet.
So your experience seems to be more indicative of what happens when there is a problem than we hoped. In light of the fit issues with my last pair, they very kindly let me order a a split sized pair on a different last. The customer service was great throughout the order process just like it was the first time, with next day responses to all emails.

However, when they posted a photo of my shoes to Instagram before shipping, I noticed the colour looked a lot lighter than what I ordered so I sent a note asking about it. I got no response. When the shoes arrived, while they were a perfect fit, there were several QC issues including the suspected colour issue, damage to the uppers, and torn stitching and lining.

I emailed right away about the issues and have spent the last month following up. I haven't received a single response.

jssdc

Reaction score
So your experience seems to be more indicative of what happens when there is a problem than we hoped. In light of the fit issues with my last pair, they very kindly let me order a a split sized pair on a different last. The customer service was great throughout the order process just like it was the first time, with next day responses to all emails.

However, when they posted a photo of my shoes to Instagram before shipping, I noticed the colour looked a lot lighter than what I ordered so I sent a note asking about it. I got no response. When the shoes arrived, while they were a perfect fit, there were several QC issues including the suspected colour issue, damage to the uppers, and torn stitching and lining.

I emailed right away about the issues and have spent the last month following up. I haven't received a single response.
The latter part of your experience doesn’t match mine at all. Both pairs (the new one and the refurbished one) took a lot of time but in both instances the quality was really outstanding. I’d definitely buy from PS again, especially if they fire up the handgrade collection again.

ForwardPleats

Reaction score
The latter part of your experience doesn’t match mine at all. Both pairs (the new one and the refurbished one) took a lot of time but in both instances the quality was really outstanding. I’d definitely buy from PS again, especially if they fire up the handgrade collection again.
Yeah, I should clarify that in all of my other experiences were of outstanding quality, which is why I was so surprised by the issues with this pair and why I asked if there was something they could do to rectify the situation. Even the shoes they contract out for Herring are awesome with perfect finishing not a single blemish.

Camerashy

Reaction score
Item made in Italy??
No photos of shoe internal??
‘Alfred’ is not the same as Alfred Sargent or Paul Sargent
Leave well alone

ACLC

Reaction score
Just saw that the Alfred Sargent site has been revamped and they are selling shoes under the AS name again. How are these related to Paul Sargent shoes?

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just saw that the Alfred Sargent site has been revamped and they are selling shoes under the AS name again. How are these related to Paul Sargent shoes?
They bought and retain the name and the marks. They sold the equipment and factory. Another Northampton shoemaker helped Paul Sargent buy the equipment back.

It looks like the new AS is based in France. All of the stockiest are in France. They don't say where the shoes have been manufactured.

Paul Sargent is the soul. The remaining Alfred Sargent is the corpse.

ACLC

Reaction score
They bought and retain the name and the marks. They sold the equipment and factory. Another Northampton shoemaker helped Paul Sargent buy the equipment back.

It looks like the new AS is based in France. All of the stockiest are in France. They don't say where the shoes have been manufactured.

Paul Sargent is the soul. The remaining Alfred Sargent is the corpse.
Thanks Scurvy, good to know.

ABM

Reaction score

I don't think this is a revamped site, it looks like the old one has just been left untouched.

ForwardPleats

Reaction score
I'm happy to say that my situation has met a very positive resolution. It turns out the customer service manager had been away. Upon return, he examined the photos I had sent, agreed that the shoes did not match the usual Paul Sargent quality standards and apologized for them getting QC passed, and they are currently making me a replacement pair.

Dieg0

Reaction score
I discovered the brand in a review of several ones and am really tempted by their MTO service.
My situation is a follows:
I live outside the UK, have rather flat and wide feet and don't have a good comparison to other British brands.
I'm hesitating between the 87 G-fit or 7WK F-fit for a (winter) boot.
Having a normal instep and rather flat feet. What last would be the better fit (I am also in touch with PS' manager.

Looking forward to your answers/advice.

ForwardPleats

Reaction score
Hey all, I just received my replacement pair of brown loafers and all of the issues with the last pair were resolved....

But for one, they once again have a weird unsightly crease around the sides of the uppers:
PXL_20240126_200810788.jpg
PXL_20240126_200807979.jpg

It is a super unfortunate Marr on an otherwise perfect pair of shoes. Anyone have any idea what causes this or if it can be fixed?

JUAN MANUEL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I discovered the brand in a review of several ones and am really tempted by their MTO service.
My situation is a follows:
I live outside the UK, have rather flat and wide feet and don't have a good comparison to other British brands.
I'm hesitating between the 87 G-fit or 7WK F-fit for a (winter) boot.
Having a normal instep and rather flat feet. What last would be the better fit (I am also in touch with PS' manager.

Looking forward to your answers/advice.

Hello,

I suggest informing your sizes (UK / US / EUR) in specific models (i.e. I found that the best way to by shoes for my wife is matching her Chuck Taylor size).

Regards

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads