• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The watch DISCUSSION thread

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am new to watches and I am seriously looking at getting one.

what is something in the 200-800 dollar range that would provide good value? Ideally looking for something reliable and made in the USA, Japan or Switzerland.

Would this be possible given my price range? Any recommendations?

Tissot and Hamilton come to mind. There are smaller, micro/mini brands but those two offer the greatest variety of styles and can be serviced at almost any jeweler.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hamilton is a decent place to start.

German watches are generally excellent.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tissot and Hamilton come to mind. There are smaller, micro/mini brands but those two offer the greatest variety of styles and can be serviced at almost any jeweler.
Great minds think alike. ?

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

what is something in the 200-800 dollar range that would provide good value? Ideally looking for something reliable and made in the USA, Japan or Switzerland.

Christopher Ward has some well made and affordable watches as well.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Saw these go by on Mark Cho’s IG. Nice but well out of my price range.

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If you want a diver, go for a Seiko. You can get a King Turtle (among others) in the middle of your budget. For a field or pilot style watch, check out Hamilton.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

We need more info to answer those questions.

1. Do you have a type of watch in mind? Dress, diver, field, pilot etc? If this is going to be your only watch you'll want something versatile, so divers and pure dress watches are probably out. A Hamilton Khaki or Stowa Flieger may be good options for you if you can get a little discount.

2. Must the watch be mechanical? Quartz would give you a lot more options. Or just get a smartwatch and be ready to replace it in a few years' time.

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We need more info to answer those questions.

1. Do you have a type of watch in mind? Dress, diver, field, pilot etc? If this is going to be your only watch you'll want something versatile, so divers and pure dress watches are probably out. A Hamilton Khaki or Stowa Flieger may be good options for you if you can get a little discount.

2. Must the watch be mechanical? Quartz would give you a lot more options. Or just get a smartwatch and be ready to replace it in a few years' time.
@Kevin24 these are all very good questions/considerations, too.

K. Nights

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
German watches are generally excellent.

I have to agree. I'm not a big watch guy (the below is pretty much my only "nice" watch), but I find a lot of German watches appealing.
This is my Sinn 103 Sa, purchased just before the pandemic. I did a special order to get one with the German day wheel, which does feel a bit more special to me because I studied German in college and my partner and her family are from Munich.

20210823_110927.jpg

It's pretty chunky and robust, which is not everyone's cup of tea, but I'm really enjoying it. At some point I'd like to get a Nomos for something that can be dressed up a bit more, but I'm not in a hurry.

Side note: I was thinking of getting a textile strap of some kind to have another option. Thoughts on olive versus tan?

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have to agree. I'm not a big watch guy (the below is pretty much my only "nice" watch), but I find a lot of German watches appealing.
This is my Sinn 103 Sa, purchased just before the pandemic. I did a special order to get one with the German day wheel, which does feel a bit more special to me because I studied German in college and my partner and her family are from Munich.

View attachment 1657112
It's pretty chunky and robust, which is not everyone's cup of tea, but I'm really enjoying it. At some point I'd like to get a Nomos for something that can be dressed up a bit more, but I'm not in a hurry.

Side note: I was thinking of getting a textile strap of some kind to have another option. Thoughts on olive versus tan?
Nice watch! Olive is easier to keep clean on tool watches. I always end up staining lighter colored bands with dirt and sweat. Sinn is a great brand and used by numerous German military and police groups. I love the clean look of their 556 as well.

K. Nights

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice watch! Olive is easier to keep clean on tool watches. I always end up staining lighter colored bands with dirt and sweat. Sinn is a great brand and used by numerous German military and police groups. I love the clean look of their 556 as well.
Thanks! And good point regarding the potential for staining. Olive seems like the way to go

Kevin24

Reaction score
If you want a diver, go for a Seiko. You can get a King Turtle (among others) in the middle of your budget. For a field or pilot style watch, check out Hamilton.

Sorry for the late reply.

I just want something I can wear to an interview and day to day (if possible).

Scuppers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In the watch appreciation thread there's often a tension between people wanting to post their actual watches and talk about them, and people wanting to discuss watches in general, usually in a more abstract manner. So maybe the latter topic needs its own thread.

To kick this off, a classic theme: the one watch collection. Parameters: just one piece, from black tie to the beach (and into the sea). Preferably one should be able to achieve this without swapping straps or bracelets. And the watch should be reliably waterproof, so vintage stuff is probably out.

Here's my submission (a watch I don't own though I might buy once we're allowed into shops where I can handle it without having to make an appointment, sigh):

View attachment 1595035

(Part of) the argument:

- The design language is such that it transcends the various registers of dress formality, and the matte black colour keeps it discreet.

- Despite being on a bracelet it's not a sports watch (nor a dress watch, that's the point!), and has nothing to fear from water: 50m wr is enough for swimming, provided I have the gaskets checked with each battery change (or service for the mechanical fans out there: there's also an automatic ETA version, slightly thicker, and which to me defeats the purpose of this design, but to each their own).

- In terms of historical interest, Rado pioneered ceramic and this is their most current interpretation of the design (by Konstantin Grcic, a respected designer).

- It's not a rare watch that needs to be babied for the sake of horological posterity.

Thoughts? Alternative suggestions?

NB: Those aren't "change my mind" questions. I'm not even that set on this particular watch (my daily wearer and failed attempt at one-watch is something else entirely). I'm just curious about what people think, what their ideal one-watch solution might be, etc.

Or indeed if people want to discuss other watch questions in the abstract, well, that's what this thread is for.

Cheers!
What welcome respite!
And for a one watch collection, might go a JLC Reverso.

Currently considering liquidating the majority of my collection, not because i don’t love them, just don’t wear them. Looking to a simpler 3 watch collection. 1 dress; 1 complex, 1 casual/sporty.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads