• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The watch DISCUSSION thread

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have Garmin Fenix that I used for running and cycling but I find the small size off-putting. There are way too many features and too few buttons to make it useful. the endless layers of menus is tiresome and maps are hard to read on a watch. Also, getting older and need readers and the small dial is hard to see for me at least.

Have shifted back to exercising with a mechanical watch with an easy-to-read face and will grab a cycling computer/GPS for my bikes next. I also wear cycling glasses with readers on them now.

I agree that smartwatches will not hold up over time. Just upgraded my iPhone 7Plus for a 12 Pro and it's like night and day. The old tech is useless once superseded.
But you're not going to places without reception... Think back of your army days, would the phone have worked out when out in the mountains or marching through the country? The Fenix is what disconnected tech looks like. It is its independence from both chargers and phones that "makes" it...

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A couple of questions regarding smartwatches

It is by now undeniable that the smartwatch is replacing G-Shocks and the like as the modern tool watch. It is what the military tends to use, etc. This sort of use first made the wristwatch popular, and then canonised icons like the various pilot watches, the Submariner, and so on. So, two related questions:

1. Are there any current or recent smartwatches (maybe by Garmin or Suunto?) that will achieve icon status in a few years' time, like the Submariner or the G-Shock did?

2. Does smartwatch technology move too fast for any of these watches to become a treasured keepsake that still remains usable twenty or thirty years after purchase? I know someone tried to produce a modular smartwatch with upgradeable parts but that failed. Perhaps the planned obsolescence that's so deep-rooted in the electronics market will spell the end of some traditional horological values.

I'd be grateful for your thoughts.
1: No
2: Yes

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But you're not going to places without reception... Think back of your army days, would the phone have worked out when out in the mountains or marching through the country? The Fenix is what disconnected tech looks like. It is its independence from both chargers and phones that "makes" it...
I'm tracking that. Yes, for city use around here I always have a signal. When hiking I use a hand held Garmin GPS. Bike computer serves as one as well.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree that smartwatches will not hold up over time. Just upgraded my iPhone 7Plus for a 12 Pro and it's like night and day. The old tech is useless once superseded.

So basically the old idea of a watch as a lifetime companion is dead in the water, as I feared. Yes, we can still use dumbwatches, but seriously, in twenty years' time they'll be as odd as bowties and pocket watches today.

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the ability to upgrade given technological change would be nice and it might be something that may actually allow me to consider a smart watch.

My issue is I just don’t know what to do with it. I’m really not sure I want to stay that connected. I see it as useful when I go on a run as I don’t normally take my phone with (I don’t like to be weighed down by anything). In that sense it could be seen as a safety device.

The Apple Watch is cool. It looks cool and when it came out all the cool kids had one. But I’m not sure I’m in the mood to spend $500 for something cool on my wrist when I’ve got enough to deal with with my mechanical watches.
I'm an Apple fanboy, but I don't have an Apple Watch for many of the reasons you listed.
But my kid works in a hospital now, so I got her one for Christmas and she was so happy.
I guess in the medical field, it has functions that relate, because it seems they all wear them.
Fast forward to recently, and she began to get into surfing. She texted me that she wishes she could get notifications while she surfed ( she's on call a lot ). I had to educate her that the Apple Watch is more than equipped to go in the ocean, and that there's also a ton of surf apps that get rated very high.
So now she's using it for that too, and it's almost like it's a brand new gift all over again.

DapperPhilly

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just purchased this good looking watch
fullsizeoutput_9fc.jpeg

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So basically the old idea of a watch as a lifetime companion is dead in the water, as I feared. Yes, we can still use dumbwatches, but seriously, in twenty years' time they'll be as odd as bowties and pocket watches today.
Quite possibly. I'll be a holdout.

K. Nights

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe, but watches are primarily a piece of jewelry rather than a tool these days, so the fact that everyone has a more accurate way to tell the time might not be that relevant. There will probably continue to be people wearing watches, just like there are people wearing necklaces, rings, etc

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe, but watches are primarily a piece of jewelry rather than a tool these days, so the fact that everyone has a more accurate way to tell the time might not be that relevant. There will probably continue to be people wearing watches, just like there are people wearing necklaces, rings, etc
Agreed. I’m firmly in the “watches and wedding rings” only camp regarding jewelry for men. Stuffy, surely, but that’s me.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know to what extent it ever existed outside marketing campaigns (hello Solvus and Titus) and anecdotal events.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

But the jewellery aspect becomes harder and harder to justify given the functionality of smartwatches. At the same time, increasing gender fluidity (or at least more relaxed gender norms) makes it easier for males to wear actual jewellery. I think these two facts are bad news for traditional watches, mechanical or quartz.

I don't know to what extent it ever existed outside marketing campaigns (hello Solvus and Titus) and anecdotal events.

I mean, sure, marketing exaggerates. But looking at the older watches I inherited from my father and grandfather (Eberhards and Omegas) I'd say that until the 1980s it was normal for a non-collector middle class person to only buy a new watch every couple of decades.

Kevin24

Reaction score
I am new to watches and I am seriously looking at getting one.

what is something in the 200-800 dollar range that would provide good value? Ideally looking for something reliable and made in the USA, Japan or Switzerland.

Would this be possible given my price range? Any recommendations?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads