• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Old Town

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What are your favorite styles /pieces?

I'm regretting missing out on the tradesman coat they used to make.

Prof H

Reaction score
I’ve been collecting Old Town for almost ten years now so I tend to know what works for me in terms of patterns (I’ve visited Holt and London to try stuff on), but I’ve still had some misses (only on the used market though). It’s usually when I ignore the dimensions as I ‘want the garment to work’ (even though rationally I realise that it won’t based on experience with a similar pattern - the Marshalsea doesn’t work for me: too narrow across the shoulders in a 42; too long in a 44).
My favourite jacket style is probably the Lounge (I have an older twill version with brass buttons and no flap on the chest pocket), but the Stanley suits my frame best and so I have a couple of suits in this style.
I have a great corduroy Fitzrovia, but it works best if I’m trim as I fall between sizes. I have a Borough, but it’s my least favourite as it’s more boxy.
If I’m wearing more a casual jacket then my go to is generally a double breasted twill short jacket, a Medway or an Overall. In winter, I tend to wear a jerkin over a jumper for chores.
For formal trousers, I prefer the High Rise, but the lack of rear pocket means that I need a jacket for my wallet (I tried a couple of pairs of Vauxhalls, but they’re too trim in to be comfortable). I wear Plains and Stove Pipes a lot to work (I really wanted the Dreadnought to work for me, as the drop front is great, but I’m too short in the leg for such a wide leg pattern; ditto the Orford, which I also tried).
The older waistcoat with rounded points works best for me (longer in the torso), although I prefer the straight edged pattern - it only works with High Rise for me. I have a great sleeved waistcoat which is really unusual (it resembles a Victorian train engineer’s jacket or something that a footman might wear).
I tend to keep the older garments with the brass buttons as these are a bit more quirky.
Re. the Tradesman, I had a Duster (long overcoat, but it wasn’t getting enough wear so I sold it on. I often wear lab coat at work and the Tradesman is too similar to that for me!

Alexidb

Reaction score
We’re probably all aware of Monty Don’s love for Old Town. According to Marie he wears Stanley jackets and Plain trousers. It looks like Will from Cabin In The Wild is also a fan, Borough jacket perhaps? Though I could be completely wrong, it looks shorter and with a smaller collar.

Attachments

• 0C91F71B-B9D5-440C-B2C9-BF0B474C92CB.jpeg
    0C91F71B-B9D5-440C-B2C9-BF0B474C92CB.jpeg
    308.8 KB · Views: 223

Alexidb

Reaction score
Actually I think I’m completely wrong, the chest pocket is not cut round and the collar is missing a button hole. It’s probably not Old Town at all :(

Attachments

• AE16AF8F-7A92-464A-B718-FC773B7BD9C8.jpeg
    AE16AF8F-7A92-464A-B718-FC773B7BD9C8.jpeg
    135.5 KB · Views: 232

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No that's not old Town.

Monty is often wearing high rise trousers and the Marshalsea jacket, but switches it up with Stanley once in a while.

I'll be wearing linen plains and Marshalsea for my wedding next week...

Alexidb

Reaction score
Yeah definitely not Old Town, got overly excited seeing it on TV this AM before my coffee.

Back to Monty, you're right that’s 4 buttons not 3, Marie at Old Town said that he’s wearing a Stanley in the new show, but ha I guess she’s wrong! Though she may be right about the pants being Plains not High Rise, it looks like the pockets are slants not on seam.

Attachments

• AAAEB16D-2A55-403E-BD7D-2992BAEA5723.jpeg
    AAAEB16D-2A55-403E-BD7D-2992BAEA5723.jpeg
    34.5 KB · Views: 212
  • B6E6CF74-DC94-4CAD-8470-2993876BE26A.jpeg
    B6E6CF74-DC94-4CAD-8470-2993876BE26A.jpeg
    49.9 KB · Views: 212
Last edited:

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I guess he is wearing both trouser styles. In the French /Italian gardens shows he is often jacket less, and then it's very clear that he is wearing the high rise trousers (with suspenders). Big fan of the plains style myself.

Alexidb

Reaction score
There are some BBC pictures of him floating around that look like he’s wearing the High Rise in dark denim. Which is interesting considering his distaste for jeans.

I really want his hat that he wears in the French series.

Congrats and good luck with the weddding BTW!
I guess he is wearing both trouser styles. In the French /Italian gardens shows he is often jacket less, and then it's very clear that he is wearing the high rise trousers (with suspenders). Big fan of the plains style myself.

Prof H

Reaction score
I can’t recall having seen Monty in Plains, they always appear to be High Rise with braces in Navy or Engineer’s Navy twill, but I might have missed something.
The jacket does vary between the Marshalsea, the Stanley, what looks to be a French chore jacket, and an OT jerkin in the winter months on Gardeners’ World.
Good luck with the ceremony: good choice. I wore my Stanley/High Rise/straight edge waistcoat to the graduation ceremony last week.

Bullitt

Reaction score
We’re probably all aware of Monty Don’s love for Old Town. According to Marie he wears Stanley jackets and Plain trousers. It looks like Will from Cabin In The Wild is also a fan, Borough jacket perhaps? Though I could be completely wrong, it looks shorter and with a smaller collar.

I know Will and he once told me that he likes Darcy Clothing. This might be one of their work jackets.

Alexidb

Reaction score
I’ve been too filthy to really do anything but open the box. They’re Stove Pipes in grey twill to match a Stanley I bought last year. I have some Standard trousers on the way in black denim.

What are you waiting on?

B870FA62-C225-46C7-89F5-4317BF643652.jpeg

What did you get?

Waiting for two pairs of trousers myself.

Prof H

Reaction score
I’m about to order a pair of High Rise in black canvas to match a Stanley and a Straight Edge Waistcoat in biscuit twill.

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those looks beautiful! Ive been considering getting something in the grey twill forever, but have been worried that its to light in color to go with black.

Im waiting for a pair of Plains in black canvas (second pair, one size down from the old pair), and Plains in their new (?) black cord (never seen that they've had black cord before). If I like the cord, I will probably get a Borough in the same fabric.

I’ve been too filthy to really do anything but open the box. They’re Stove Pipes in grey twill to match a Stanley I bought last year. I have some Standard trousers on the way in black denim.

What are you waiting on?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads