• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Old question that everyone claims is new: Tell me how to develop a unique style

TylerK

Reaction score
Hi all. I just registered an account. I have kind of a general question about fashion/style in general.

Since I've been paying attention to this sort of thing lately, I've been at least aware of what some of the current trends are. So for example, graphic tees like Affliction and such is one that I've sort of wanted to jump on the bandwagon with. But it's dawning on me that once it's such an obvious trend, and everybody and their mother is doing it, it's actually kind of lame.

So I guess my question is, if you DON'T want to "fit in with the crowd" and want to actually wear something unique and different...where do you find it? If I go to the mall, all I'm going to find is the current trendy styles. Where and how can I come up with some *unique* things to call my own?

Philosoph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Use the internet machine!

Actually, this question is impossible to answer without more information. You should browse around this site, look at magazines, people on the street, maybe even the Sartorialist for inspiration. When you know what style you like and/or what item of clothing you're looking for, then someone could help you out.

Mauro

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Musselma

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Denimbar
Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
I think in the future I'll buy all my denim from denimbar now that I know that Mauro is a real live pirate
bounce2.gif
(edit: www.blogspot.thedenimbar.com doesn't work for me)

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You really ought to read a bit. Any good teacher will tell a student that the answer can be only as good as the question, and your questions is not well formulated.

Also. I have changed your thread title to something a little more appropriate.

Fok.

Originally Posted by TylerK
Hi all. I just registered an account. I have kind of a general question about fashion/style in general.

Since I've been paying attention to this sort of thing lately, I've been at least aware of what some of the current trends are. So for example, graphic tees like Affliction and such is one that I've sort of wanted to jump on the bandwagon with. But it's dawning on me that once it's such an obvious trend, and everybody and their mother is doing it, it's actually kind of lame.

So I guess my question is, if you DON'T want to "fit in with the crowd" and want to actually wear something unique and different...where do you find it? If I go to the mall, all I'm going to find is the current trendy styles. Where and how can I come up with some *unique* things to call my own?

TylerK

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
You really ought to read a bit. Any good teacher will tell a student that the answer can be only as good as the question, and your questions is not well formulated.

Also. I have changed your thread title to something a little more appropriate.

Fok.

Oh, I meant *I* am new, not the question.

I guess it seems like many people here have a pretty good idea of what's new, what's old, what's played out, etc. and I'm not sure how to come to the same level of knowledge.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh, I meant *I* am new, not the question.

I guess it seems like many people here have a pretty good idea of what's new, what's old, what's played out, etc. and I'm not sure how to come to the same level of knowledge.

You ought to read and maybe post some specific questions in the small questions thread. If you are starting from square one, don't expect things to come quickly. Just keep and open mind but also take in what you read with a grain of salt. Unfortunately, a lot of newbies come in with this same question, wanting answers without doing the research (which is really the answer) and it is somewhat disrespectful, thus some of the responses.

Reaction score
Pick up a book, identify with a character, imagine what they would wear, purchase reasonable facsimiles thereof, burn, wear ninja costume instead.

onion

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=40802 That's a good place to start. See what you like and what you don't like, and buy your clothing in the future accordingly.

Reaction score
and don't wash your clothes (unless dirty)
don't iron 'em (unless it is formal attire)
don't worry about crocking of this onto that (no caveat)
and discard when stained by bodily fluids (does NOT apply to jeans)

drop acid
consult the universe
sober up
wake up, wipe the slugs off your face, you're ready for a new day

be comfortable in your clothes
don't buy things because they are comfortable only(this is laziness)

no elastic waistbands (unless you are geriatric or gigantic)
no shorts, no sandals (unless you are wearing a tuxedo or swim trunks)
post pics of yourself often (fully clothed in natural light or reflected in a dusty mirror, camera obscuring the face to protect identity)

look at people
dress with a hammer
if it shatters, destroy
if it resounds, consume

Musselma

Reaction score
Originally Posted by denimdestroyedmylife
Pick up a book, identify with a character, imagine what they would wear, purchase reasonable facsimiles thereof, burn, wear ninja costume instead.

How dare you suggest dressing as a ninja after Mauro finally outed himself as a pirate!?

BrettChaotix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

drop acid
consult the universe
sober up

post pics of yourself often (fully clothed in natural light or reflected in a dusty mirror, camera obscuring the face to protect identity)

look at people
dress with a hammer
if it shatters, destroy
if it resounds, consume

Replace "Acid" with "shrooms" and yes.

asobu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

drop acid
consult the universe
sober up

look at people
dress with a hammer
if it shatters, destroy
if it resounds, consume

This is the best thing ever written on this board.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
monsieurcharlemagne