• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Style Farmer to Farmer Style—AKA Gardening Clothing

Wiggsmo

Reaction score
Cactus Store LA makes some very solid gardening gear. Gardana Clogs or blundstones are my most used footwear depending on the task. Most often I'm wearing Gramicci or carhartt (I have a pair of the Cactus Store doubleknees, fabric is seriously heavy duty, and a pair of 18 East's ripstop doubleknees, lightweight and good for warm weather, that fit into the rotation) and a Cactus Store t-shirt, Sunday Afternoons hat, and a very old L.L. Bean vest if it's chilly.

Olderbrother is another gardening/eco-adjacent brand and I just got one of their waxed chore coats which seems promising.

Xenia Telunts has some great shirts, but the field shirt I have is really lightweight and I think I'd only wear it for watering or maybe if I tended orchids or did flower arrangement or something.

I can vouch for the hardiness of Carrier Company's stuff; their twill is phenomenal and it breaks in like a dream.

Timbaland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I mainly wear overalls for gardening and other work outside. The EG one fits roomy but has a great cut, it looks slimmer in photos. There's a string at the hem so you can cinch it up, 4 huge patch pockets to hold almost everything you need, and the recent ones are made of durable cotton ripstop. They're meant to be beaten up and get dirty.

SilentPartner

Reaction score
Cactus Store LA makes some very solid gardening gear. Gardana Clogs or blundstones are my most used footwear depending on the task.
[...]
I can vouch for the hardiness of Carrier Company's stuff; their twill is phenomenal and it breaks in like a dream.

I need to get me some Blundstones, you're the second person who's mentioned they're great. I did some fall pruning and planting of bulbs this weekend and my cheap rubber slip-ons left a blister the size of my thumbnail on the underside of my ankle. Not too pleased about that!

I'll also have to get myself a shirt, pair of trousers and an apron from Carrier--I love their tongue-in-cheek vibe.

dixonmanor

Reaction score
I would HIGHLY recommend Rossi Boots over Blundstones.... Still mostly made in Australia (tho I think they did have some factory issues during lockdowns and had to move some production overseas) and the quality is tops. Leather pull tabs instead of nylon, and resole-able too. I've had my pair for 5+ years, wear them more than any other footwear by far, and I've them resoled once.... Still going strong, very comfortable, and generally a few bucks cheaper than Blunnies.

Reginald Bartholomew

Reaction score
^ ive been looking at that stuff as well, but not tried anything.

Currently wearing a pair of the Sower pants in green. Good fatigue cut, with two useful right-side utility pockets (one knife-sized shallow, one hand-depth deep). Size charts is pretty spot on, waist is slightly over spec (which for me is a good thing). Not the green of my dreams.

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
“Brown is for farmer.”

(from days of yore on Styleforum. Long, long ago.)

conqueror

Reaction score
i live in australia and pretty much garden in patagonia baggies or DIY cut-off dickies, whatever ratty t-shirt i have lying around on the bedroom floor, some hydro-mocs or thrashed vans, and a hat of some sort. in winter i'll occasionally wear a fleece top/trousers + beanie, but i find i usually warm up pretty quickly after a few minutes of whatever i'm doing outside even when it's cold.

i can't imagine gardening in EG, cabourn etc or anything 'nice' i own; it would get damaged so quickly that i can't financially afford to risk it. there is wabi-sabi and then there are...caked-on fertiliser stains and jagged rips from getting caught on a metal fence.

re: monty don, he is quite obsessive about the dimensions of pockets on his clothes - would probably be frustrated with baggies (pockets are too deep) and dickies (too shallow). apparently he used to buy a lot of yohji stuff many years ago, too.

Last edited:

OccultaVexillum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Currently wearing a pair of the Sower pants in green. Good fatigue cut, with two useful right-side utility pockets (one knife-sized shallow, one hand-depth deep). Size charts is pretty spot on, waist is slightly over spec (which for me is a good thing). Not the green of my dreams.

When you say "slightly over spec" we are talking like vanity sized, right?
I'm usually a 34/50 but like the waist more like 17.5" across.
Based on size chart these are not vanity sized at all.

Reginald Bartholomew

Reaction score
When you say "slightly over spec" we are talking like vanity sized, right?
I'm usually a 34/50 but like the waist more like 17.5" across.
Based on size chart these are not vanity sized at all.

I mean compared to the size chart for the pants. It gave the waist measurement as 32 inches exactly, and it's like 32.75 or so.

js0930

Reaction score
I’ve done a lot of gardening and like double knee pants (currently Cast Irons from Edgevale), Muck boots and an old beat in quarter zip ski resort fleece. Just got the Tailor Stitch Carpenter pants they did with the Gangsta Gardener so those will go in the rotation. I’ll throw a cheap denim work shirt over a tee if it’s warmer (think current work shirt is Red Kap) and like Red Wings with the wedge sole if I’m not wearing Mucks.

Fulton

Reaction score
Since retirement I seem to garden incessantly, but probably better to call what I do landscaping (lots of pruning and moving large plants around). I generally won't buy new items for this purpose because I tend to always have some nice workwear or outdoor styled clothing that is past prime that I can rotate to garden use. Basic outfit is Muck Boots (the brand, bought new), in various sizes depending on conditions. Slim stretchy pants that fit into the boots (old Norronas are good), various old base layers from hiking, and nice old cotton shirts (summer), plus pullover cotton smocks (cooler season). I also have various barn jackets and fishing jackets that I throw on (high quality ones easily thrifted). Some of the "real" chore coats (the ones with trim slightly cropped sleeves) work well for layering. e.g. I have an Apollo chore coat (maybe not real but well designed) that I find myself reaching for a lot.

The Mucks don't really last that well but are perfect while they do. I also have some plastic garden clogs I use for light chores (Jollys and Super Birkis). And I have a bunch of old hiking boots I use as well.

Headwear is usually old straw cowboy(ish) hats. I also have some of those really wide African hats for heavy sun protection.

I am out there year round and in winter I might layer add an old core-loft vest under the smock.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads