• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

dreamspace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
4" Lapels are a hard sell, unless the brand says Tom Ford.

I remember the Polo Ralph Lauren Garrison model, which I loved - quite wide lapels...shame it didn't last that long.

jefferyd

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
We regularly do lots of cool, nichey stuff, but the retailers are generally afraid
4" Lapels are a hard sell, unless the brand says Tom Ford.

I remember the Polo Ralph Lauren Garrison model, which I loved - quite wide lapels...shame it didn't last that long.

Last year they introduced a new model called RL67 as it was “inspired” by a coat Ralph bought back then and still wears. And it has a 4” lapel. I hear it sold out.

Last edited:

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We regularly do lots of cool, nichey stuff, but the retailers are generally afraid

Last year they introduced a new model called RL67 as it was “inspired” by a coat Ralph bought back then and still wears. And it has a 4” lapel. I hear it sold out.

Preview?

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had my two Kent Wang commissions done up with 4.25 lapels and I love them. I got the lapels a hair wider than the standard cut on my first Steed suit. Will have to measure them when I get it back.

Lapel width is the one thing (apart from the retail price) that annoys me about Zegna suits. Still a bit too narrow.

Don’t recall seeing a Hickey Freeman with wider lapels, though. I always see A, B and Hamilton fits. Was it on one of those?

Last edited:

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had my two Kent Wang commissions with 4.25 lapels and I love them. I got the lapels a hair wider than the standard cut on my first Steed suit. Will have to measure them when I get it back.

Lapel width is the one thing (apart from the retail price) that annoys me about Zegna suits. Still a bit too narrow.

Don’t recall seeing an Hickey Freeman with wider lapels, though. I always see A, B and Hamilton fits. Was it on one of those?

I was scared of big lapels until I saw them on my frame. I will never go back.....

ShoeWho

Reaction score
He looks OK in this pic from today, apart from the curious hairline which resembles carpet. The clown behind him is the one committing serious offences against style. What a very punchable face.
View attachment 1131132

stone.jpg

ShoeWho

Reaction score
His only friend is his mirror. Maybe he is paid to hang around outside court to make Stone look good.

DrapeCut

Reaction score
Your first photo will support my point. Roger Stone did not start a serious lifting regiment until the late 1980s. His pic with Alan Flusser dates to a pre-lifting and mostly running exercise phase. Most of Stone's current suit wardrobe dates to the 1990s when he was at the apex of his lifting days. The poor fits that we now witness are due to the shrinkage of Stone's upper body muscle mass and growing stomach that both accompany aging. Ezra Paul is not familiar with Stone's life trajectory and mistakenly assumes that fit issues are the clothier's errors. This is incorrect. Bottom line: Stone is wearing early-mid 1990s version drape suits that were cut for a muscled physique that he has since lost much of. Unfortunately, the combination of drape, general 1990s bagginess, and the loss of muscle created the perfect storm for bad fit.
At his older age, Stone is prob barely holding on to the amount of muscle that allows said suits to pass as wearable lol. A good reason not to buy bespoke when you lift! I aim to eat healthy, stay trim, and enjoy good clothes 'till I croak.
This is not to suggest that Stone should trash his wardrobe. I concur with others who say that men can get away with some fit irregularities as long as they can pull them off with grace. However, Stone does not fall into that category. His clothes wear him. Stupid affected hats, watch chains, and cartoon sun shades etc. make him look like an ass. Frankly, the suits are the least of his sartorial problems.

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At his older age, Stone is prob barely holding on to the amount of muscle that allows said suits to pass as wearable lol. A good reason not to buy bespoke when you lift! I aim to eat healthy, stay trim, and enjoy good clothes 'till I croak.

:freeze:

DrapeCut

Reaction score
Drape cut.
Regardless of its health benefits, lifting, to the extent that Stone participated in it, is not conducive to maintaining a wardrobe's usability. I don't have unlimited resources and don't want to buy lesser quality garments in order to accommodate ever-present "gains." Just a personal choice. That lifestyle is the source of Stone's fit issues. His trim and youthful pre-90s physique would have been easier to maintain than that of a bodybuilder and, thus, better for clothes over time.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads