• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

No eating after 6pm rule

jarude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Svenn
Bro's a doc and it is true that eating within a couple hours of sleep doesn't do you much good (unless you didn't eat the whole day previous to that of course). Sumo wrestlers in Japan actually use that technique to gain weight- eat a bunch of noodles (carbs) sleep, wake-up and eat, repeat. Traditional Buddhist monks is Southeast Asia don't eat after noon I believe, and with 2500 years experience they're probably somewhat in tune with what the body requires. Evolutionarily speaking, primitive man wouldn't have access to hordes of food at dusk or nightime, he probably ate at daylight...
A little late, but so ******* irritating. Just because buddy's a doctor doesn't make him right. PhD in nutrition, then maybe, but some family doctor, **** off. I've heard outrageous claims from many doctors in many professions. edit: Christ all you people, if you want to lose weight, find out your BMR. use the harris-benedict equation, then subtract 500 calories. then you have the number of calories you need to take in, blammo. eat that number of calories in healthy foods. congratulations, you can stop ******* crying about weight loss.

BBSLM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by e23
I honestly would not be able to do this. I'll eat dinner around 6-7PM and be hungry again at 9. My fast metabolism is off the charts. I'll even have 8 small meals throughout the day just so my stomach won't be growling.

try less frequent, but larger meals.

bomber

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jarude
A little late, but so ******* irritating. Just because buddy's a doctor doesn't make him right. PhD in nutrition, then maybe, but some family doctor, **** off. I've heard outrageous claims from many doctors in many professions.

edit:

Christ all you people, if you want to lose weight, find out your BMR. use the harris-benedict equation, then subtract 500 calories. then you have the number of calories you need to take in, blammo. eat that number of calories in healthy foods. congratulations, you can stop ******* crying about weight loss.

This.

In bodybuilding.com forums this whole concept would fall under the 'broscience' umbrella
smile.gif

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jarude

Christ all you people, if you want to lose weight, find out your BMR. use the harris-benedict equation, then subtract 500 calories. then you have the number of calories you need to take in, blammo. eat that number of calories in healthy foods. congratulations, you can stop ******* crying about weight loss.

A 500 calorie deficit doesn't consider the size or daily maintenance calories of the person trying to cut. It will have a minor effect on 350 lb guy, but a drastic one in a 123 lb woman. Better to use a 20% deficit as your start and scale up or down when the results come in.

lefty

e23

Reaction score
Originally Posted by BBSLM
try less frequent, but larger meals.

Oh I've definitely tried, it doesn't make a difference. I'm perpetually hungry.

Cue Fat Bastard "Get in my belly"

slickmick

Reaction score
BBSLM isnt that supposed to be bad for you? to lose weight you're supposed to eat more frequent smaller meals

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by e23
Oh I've definitely tried, it doesn't make a difference. I'm perpetually hungry.

Cue Fat Bastard "Get in my belly"

I don't know If I believe you... How much do weigh?

If I have a large lunch. Like BIG... as in 2500 calories or so. I will not be eating the rest of the day. Bring it diabetes.

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by slickmick
BBSLM isnt that supposed to be bad for you? to lose weight you're supposed to eat more frequent smaller meals

Shennanigans. To lose weight you're supposed to eat less.

But depending on the size of the meal, yes, can be bad for you. See my prior post.

BBSLM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by slickmick
total horseshit. i could post study after study showing that any meal frequency above 1 meal per day has no impact on weight loss, body composition, or anything else. small, frequent meals can trigger a hunger response in many people, (myself included) which is why i suggested larger, less frequent meals to e23. im less hungry throughout the day by fasting for 16 hours (intermittent fasting) and eating 2-3 big meals during the remaining 8 hours than I used to be when I ate every two hours.

e23

Reaction score
I'm not trying to lose weight, if anything I'm trying to gain mass. All I'm saying is that I'm just constantly hungry haha

BBSLM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by e23
I'm not trying to lose weight, if anything I'm trying to gain mass. All I'm saying is that I'm just constantly hungry haha

I don't know if this is in response to my post or not, but I never assumed or implied that you were trying to lose weight. Small meals can trigger a hunger response in hypo- or hypercaloric scenarios.

If you're trying to gain weight but you're still hungry, you're probably not eating enough, and therefore not gaining weight. Or you're eating foods low in micronutrient content ("emtpy calories", processed foods, etc.)

fjblair

Reaction score
Right, who the hell eats dinner by 6pm?

Originally Posted by TheWatcher
The No eating after 6 pm rule is almost impossible to follow;especially
during the holidays.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads