• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Finding my passion after 35 years

Reaction score
When I was between the ages of 6 and 8, I had two passions in my life which I loved most in the world. The first was clothing and the second was automobiles. I didn't know how to divide up my passions because I'm the type of person who likes to learn about every single little detail about how it's made, raw materials used, and looking at the finer details of the design, but I couldn't decide which one of my passions I should follow the most. I decided to follow my passion for automobiles because that is where I felt happy. Growing up, I always had nice clothes and dressed well. It made me feel good when I would dress up for school or even for a party and I would get complements from people, but I never worried about anyones opinion on how good I looked. My focus has always been on automobiles and I decided to pursue my passion, but in the back of my mind I wondered a lot about my clothing choices. I spent a lot of time learning about every single detail about automobiles especially about engineering. I poured over years learning about things like downforce, tires, F1 and Le Mans, but the more I spent time on those things, it seemed more like a hobby than a passion. However, my passion for clothing grew and grew over time and I wanted to explore the world of Bespoke Tailoring.

The first time I heard of bespoke tailoring was when I was 14 years old and I was watching the first James Bond Movie called Dr. No. There was a line in from the movie which sparked my interest, the line which James Bond said in the movie was "My Tailor, Savile Row". Me being curious as I am, I searched what Savile Row is and that's where I first heard the term, Bespoke Tailoring. I did follow up further learning about bespoke tailoring, but I kept getting pulled back into automobiles, so I never followed it any further than I originally desired. In 2018, when I was 30 years old, I fell in love with clothing, but I was more into fashion. It was the worst decision of my life, but it was also the best decision of my life because a few years later, in 2020, I fell in love with classic style. In those two years, I have made so many mistakes along the way. buying skin tight jeans, streetwear sneakers, and following the latest fashion trends like I was chasing after a bag of skittles and I just wanted to be apart of that fashion life. In 2020, I wanted to get back into bespoke tailoring because fashion was not what I was looking for in the long run. When I started to learn about bespoke tailoring, I also picked up on classic style, but I always wondered what is classic style.

Classic style to me is about dressing like a proper gentleman, with timeless looks, and elegant style. I knew that I finally found my happiness and the one thing I have been searching for my whole life, but in the back of my mind I couldn't stop thinking about automobiles, so I kept an even balance of both my passions. The further I wanted to make a move towards classic style, I knew in the back of my mind that my passion for automobiles was just an interest, but I still couldn't let go because I felt like I was leaving a piece of my childhood behind. When I was 12 years old, I always wanted a collection of automobiles, I didn't care about my clothes at all, I just wanted a big garage of classic Porsche's, but having a big garage full of classic Porsche's would never make me happy. It wasn't until October 26, 2022 that I had to realize that I was growing up and it was okay to leave a bit of my childhood behind. No matter what, I will always be a car guy, but I rather just have a full size SUV to get from point A to point B. As long as I have more money for bespoke tailoring, bespoke shoes, watches, and going out with friends, that's all that matters to me. I finally am able to find my true passion, it might have taken me 35 years, but classic style and bespoke tailoring is all I can think about. I wakeup everyday and the first thought in my mind is fabrics, style, colors, patterns, and building my wardrobe.

stuffedsuperdud

Reaction score
When I was between the ages of 6 and 8, I had two passions in my life which I loved most in the world. The first was clothing and the second was automobiles. I didn't know how to divide up my passions because I'm the type of person who likes to learn about every single little detail about how it's made, raw materials used, and looking at the finer details of the design, but I couldn't decide which one of my passions I should follow the most. I decided to follow my passion for automobiles because that is where I felt happy. Growing up, I always had nice clothes and dressed well. It made me feel good when I would dress up for school or even for a party and I would get complements from people, but I never worried about anyones opinion on how good I looked. My focus has always been on automobiles and I decided to pursue my passion, but in the back of my mind I wondered a lot about my clothing choices. I spent a lot of time learning about every single detail about automobiles especially about engineering. I poured over years learning about things like downforce, tires, F1 and Le Mans, but the more I spent time on those things, it seemed more like a hobby than a passion. However, my passion for clothing grew and grew over time and I wanted to explore the world of Bespoke Tailoring.

The first time I heard of bespoke tailoring was when I was 14 years old and I was watching the first James Bond Movie called Dr. No. There was a line in from the movie which sparked my interest, the line which James Bond said in the movie was "My Tailor, Savile Row". Me being curious as I am, I searched what Savile Row is and that's where I first heard the term, Bespoke Tailoring. I did follow up further learning about bespoke tailoring, but I kept getting pulled back into automobiles, so I never followed it any further than I originally desired. In 2018, when I was 30 years old, I fell in love with clothing, but I was more into fashion. It was the worst decision of my life, but it was also the best decision of my life because a few years later, in 2020, I fell in love with classic style. In those two years, I have made so many mistakes along the way. buying skin tight jeans, streetwear sneakers, and following the latest fashion trends like I was chasing after a bag of skittles and I just wanted to be apart of that fashion life. In 2020, I wanted to get back into bespoke tailoring because fashion was not what I was looking for in the long run. When I started to learn about bespoke tailoring, I also picked up on classic style, but I always wondered what is classic style.

Classic style to me is about dressing like a proper gentleman, with timeless looks, and elegant style. I knew that I finally found my happiness and the one thing I have been searching for my whole life, but in the back of my mind I couldn't stop thinking about automobiles, so I kept an even balance of both my passions. The further I wanted to make a move towards classic style, I knew in the back of my mind that my passion for automobiles was just an interest, but I still couldn't let go because I felt like I was leaving a piece of my childhood behind. When I was 12 years old, I always wanted a collection of automobiles, I didn't care about my clothes at all, I just wanted a big garage of classic Porsche's, but having a big garage full of classic Porsche's would never make me happy. It wasn't until October 26, 2022 that I had to realize that I was growing up and it was okay to leave a bit of my childhood behind. No matter what, I will always be a car guy, but I rather just have a full size SUV to get from point A to point B. As long as I have more money for bespoke tailoring, bespoke shoes, watches, and going out with friends, that's all that matters to me. I finally am able to find my true passion, it might have taken me 35 years, but classic style and bespoke tailoring is all I can think about. I wakeup everyday and the first thought in my mind is fabrics, style, colors, patterns, and building my wardrobe.

Pretty sure I had this exact though process in my head at some point in my life, but then I found out about naked ladies, preferably with daddy issues and multiple ex-husbands, and they pretty much immediately superseded everything else in my road to self-realization.

Jokes aside, I think you will soon realize that a big closet of "bespoke tailoring, bespoke shoes, [and] watches" won't make you any happier than that big garage of Porsches. Or, at least, these things made from the skin and fur that some schmuck scraped off of an animal and draped onto your slowly decomposing body are IMHO not worth being the first thing you think of when you wake up.

ACLC

Reaction score
Pretty sure I had this exact though process in my head at some point in my life, but then I found out about naked ladies, preferably with daddy issues and multiple ex-husbands, and they pretty much immediately superseded everything else in my road to self-realization.

Jokes aside, I think you will soon realize that a big closet of "bespoke tailoring, bespoke shoes, [and] watches" won't make you any happier than that big garage of Porsches. Or, at least, these things made from the skin and fur that some schmuck scraped off of an animal and draped onto your slowly decomposing body are IMHO not worth being the first thing you think of when you wake up.
+1

te0o

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Echo this ^

Also, the 'gentleman' aspect of classic menswear is utter rubbish to me. Getting a bespoke suit or, more broadly, dressing well doesn't make you a gentleman, no matter what some YouTube channels would have you believe.

Reaction score
Echo this ^

Also, the 'gentleman' aspect of classic menswear is utter rubbish to me. Getting a bespoke suit or, more broadly, dressing well doesn't make you a gentleman, no matter what some YouTube channels would have you believe.
I agree and I can be an asshole from time to time, but it’s what I’m passionate about and dressing well is an art within itself.

Last edited:
Reaction score

Obviously you’re a child with little prick issues and I really don’t care what you say because you’re the real schmuck.

Last edited:

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
CapitalEvergreenIndiancow-max-1mb.gif

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

te0o

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree and I can be an asshole from time to time, but it’s what I’m passionate about and dressing well is an art within itself.
Why don’t you mind your own business because if you didn’t read what I wrote previously, I can be an asshole from time to time. Also he’s the one who came at me, I’m just defending myself.
Not sure what you're talking about - no one actually came at you. Literally no one is suggesting that not being a gentleman (whatever that means these days) because of wearing tailored clothing is automatically making you an asshole.

jack webb

Reaction score
I'd echo the caution about situating happiness in material goods, but the poster seems to have come to his affinity for fine clothing in an honest way, from having observed his own preferences and inclinations over the course of many years. Many of us are like this in one way or another: there are car guys, watch guys, foodies, etc. So long as all other needs and obligations are being met I don't see the harm.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads