• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

mytailor.com houston stop - SF made me a bad customer

rajesh06

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
But if you nevertheless prefer them aesthetically, will they refuse to use them?

Don't know becuase I never asked. I am very satisfied with their shirts - so I have never really pressed the point.

This may be a case of: if one is paying $220 for a shirt, one will trust the judgment of the tailor; if one is paying $75 - one tends to question more!

stach

Reaction score
What's the point of having a custom made item if you can't order what you want? A good salesperson will explain added expenses but if you don't like the finished product it would be your own fault, unless the workmanship was bad.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
A split yoke serves no purpose on RTW shirts, except to look pretty. If you think about it, a split yoke in RTW is essentially the same as a single piece of cloth; it consists of two matching pieces that have been sewn together in the middle.

Absolutely. The only reason a tailor would say something like that is to cut a few minutes of labor time, a few inches of fabric and make a a few more bucks...

raley

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Are you sure he wasn't allowing extra length for shrinkage/bending of the arm? Unbuttoned, all properly fitting shirt sleeves extend past the wrist. It sounds like he was making them the proper length, unless I'm misreading your post or you have very long hands.

Well, I suppose that could be the reason, but what I said in my post is exactly what he said:

If I weren't used to long sleeves (how does he know this anyway?
smile.gif
), he would make the sleeves the normal length. Instead, since I am in fact used to longer sleeves (again, according to him), he was going to make them slightly too long.

It confused me as well.

raley

Reaction score
Got it, thanks. How obnoxious! Sounds like you handled the situation with much more equanimity than I might have. I'd vote in favor of your sending the company an email. The tone of your post is quite reasonable and factual, and I'm sure that would come through in any email. They ought to know, and ought to want to know, how they are being represented "out in the field" by their employees/contractors.

Maybe I will do this. I am actually quite interested in what Joe H. would say. I tried to be as reasonable as I could. I don't have much bargaining power aside from the fact that I am the customer. I am young and I didn't want to walk in acting like a know-it-all that is trying to make the tailor look stupid (kind of like when someone walks into a bar and orders something obscure to try to impress his date by stumping the bartender).

realbespoke

Reaction score
tounge.gif
the old saying "you get what you pay for!" First, If you showed him a split yoke and he did not know what it was, that was the grand opportunity to walk right out the door. Second, anyone who has seen any type of Mother of pearl button whether its Australian or not knows the difference between MOP and plastic! Typical of these guys though. They give the industry a bad name. And none of them are well dressed, ever! so why buy from a guy that looks worse than you? makes no sense.
We produce shirts with split yokes standard, MOP buttons standard, and we usually place the monograms inside the yoke. We only use the best Italian and English shirting cloth. The shirt is hand-made!
www.marlonaustin.com

montmorency

Reaction score
When I went to a shirt maker that gets a lot of play on this board and asked him about a split yoke, he was completely dismissive. He told me that most shirts that seem to have split yokes only have a sewn seam in the single piece of fabric to give the impression of a split yoke. He also told me that split yokes serve no purpose. So, you can encounter resistance on some of these details with a few people in the business.

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
As a customer looking to have shirts made, you have to decide what is most important to you, or what combination of these things.

Fit
Fabric
Needlework
Price
aesthetic details and a multitude of options.
Timely delivery and customer service

Someone out there with too much time on their hands should set up a grid and see where the various vendors fall.

Carl

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
True enough. But if your tailor recommends x, and you politely tell him that you understand what he's saying but still want y, you're ultimately talking about your garment, not his. Now if you were asking him to do something he simply didn't feel comfortable doing because he thought it would be unprofessional or would look so bad that he would be embarrassed to have people see it, of course it's his perogative to refuse. But the "you can't handle the truth!" attitude raley encountered sounds to me like it stems more from ignorance, trepidation, and pettiness than some deeply-held sense of professional standards. (Especially since it's not even clear, at least to me, that the person Raley was dealing with was the person who would be performing or overseeing the construction of his shirts.)

Ohhhh I thoroughly agree with you and also with Raley's handling and assessment of his experience. I don’t mean to imply that he should have sucked it up and taken the tailors word as the "gospel". It sounds like he knows enough about what he wants and of course the aesthetic decisions should be his to make. I also would not have felt comfortable having my shirts made there, no matter how good the deal.

I was referring more to a generic situation of going to an "expert" for a specialized or bespoke service and quoting the famous "customer is always right" line rather than using their expertise. Likely more applicable when going to Patrick or Carl than at mytailor.com.

I guess some of my attitude comes from being a consultant. In my cases, the customer is quite frequently “wrong”, and even though they sometimes don’t want to admit it, that’s the reason that they hire us.

K

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by realbespoke
And none of them are well dressed, ever! so why buy from a guy that looks worse than you? makes no sense.
www.marlonaustin.com

Well, what's the saying? The shoemaker's children always go barefoot? Plumber's faucets always leak? Sober bartenders (yeah right)...

(What's wrong with me? 5 posts ago I was refuting the validity of old sayings, and now I am spouting them)

K

dantheman

Reaction score
Seems like he saw that you knew your stuff when it came to shirts and that you also were quite particular with what you were after and he probably wasn't confident that his product would be up to your standard. But rember, it is a budget option for MTM shirts. So you are going to get budget service, and a budget outcome.

plhoang

Reaction score
Originally Posted by raley
After this, he proceeded to tell me that he did not think I would be satisfied with the shirts that he was going to make me.

I think, on this, he was probably right.

WestIndianArchie

Reaction score
Originally Posted by realbespoke
tounge.gif
the old saying "you get what you pay for!" First, If you showed him a split yoke and he did not know what it was, that was the grand opportunity to walk right out the door. Second, anyone who has seen any type of Mother of pearl button whether its Australian or not knows the difference between MOP and plastic! Typical of these guys though. They give the industry a bad name. And none of them are well dressed, ever! so why buy from a guy that looks worse than you? makes no sense.
We produce shirts with split yokes standard, MOP buttons standard, and we usually place the monograms inside the yoke. We only use the best Italian and English shirting cloth. The shirt is hand-made!
www.marlonaustin.com

You really need to shoot your web designer.

Orsini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by raley
In my quest for the perfectly fitted shirt (between Jantzen iterations, that is), I decided to pay Ram Keswani of mytailor.com a visit today in the Westin Galleria Hotel here in Houston.....
The customer is always right. It sounds to me like he was trolling for suckers and you did not bite. Good for you.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Camilla Hughes