• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MTM Chelsea Boots from Vietnam

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by binatang
I would consider these MTM rather than bespoke. Though I think they can make you a last if you ask them too. You can also make certain changes/tweaks to their standard designs. I ordered another 2 pairs - a derby & a loafer. I'll let you guys know how they turn out.

Admittedly, the brown one is a little chunkier but only just. Both are comfortable. I suspect the weird bend is because it was made using a shoe last as opposed to a dedicated boot last. Hence, it doesn't have the nice stiff center crease ala RM Williams. The only similarity with RM is that they are also true wholecuts.

You can compare them to RMs but thats missing the point me thinks. The shoes are nicely made & value-for-money. Leather quality is rather good with full/top grain being used as I was able to inspect the skins prior. Lining is fully leather & stiching is Mckay/Blake. Sole is leather with rubber lifts & topies as standard. Damage was only US$65 each.

Tran Quoc Lan
97 Le Thanh Ton
District 1

I can make them look nicer if I had access too some nice shoe cream shades. Only standard Kiwi available around these parts in Black, Brown & Neutral. I couldn't even find a decent shoe brush ... getting them carried over via my mates.

very near my office. How much did you pay for these (ifyoudontmindmyaskin)?

binatang

Reaction score
Originally Posted by m@T
very near my office.

How much did you pay for these (ifyoudontmindmyaskin)?

I paid US$65 each.
I was looking for Chelseas for the longest time. So when I found them, I forgot to bargain ... really!
I've asked them to make me a copy of a C&J Highbury ... not sure how they will turn out tho.

orlagu

Reaction score
Just been there this morning. The (shoes) price they quoted me is VNĐ950,000 (approx. US$60). Don't worry, you're not being ripped off
smile.gif

binatang

Reaction score
Originally Posted by orlagu
Hi binatang,

Thank you for replying my PM the other day.

If you go further down Nguyen Van Troi Street (Phu Nhuan District) - to the airport direction - you could find some nice Japanese brown shoe cream in Hachi-Hachi store. Last time I were there, they had only brown, at VND 25K. I found it to be much nicer than those supermarkets' Kiwis. And it smells better, though.

My place is near Hachi Hachi. I'll go check it out. Thanks.
VND 25k does seem remarkably affordable for imported shoe cream tho ... I was expecting 250k.

binatang

Reaction score
Originally Posted by aleksandr
thanks awfully for all the information!
will only be in hcmc for 4 days or so, and another couple of days in hanoi.
don't think the time frame will work out
frown.gif

I'll check with them next week when I see them what sort of express service they can provide (if any). I'll let you know.

Toiletduck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
wow thats cheap.

the last however doesn't look too attractive imo. How "custom" can you make them? if you are able to fix the last etc, i think it would be a great buy

binatang

Reaction score
For HCM Residents only.
Pierre Cardin Boutique at Eden Mall having a sale.
Made in Vietnam, leather soled & goodyear welted.
The brown monks look particularly tasty.

2339488417_4ae6caaf4d.jpg

2339488531_6b77a3cf60.jpg

orlagu

Reaction score
I've checked those Pierre Cardins, and found that their monks' buckles are unfunctional, but fastened by velcro (damn!). Shoe trees look good, but, unfortunately, not being sold separately. You'll get a pair for VND 250K if you buy the shoes. They have a nice black 2-eyelet derby (JL Luffield style) though. P.S: Please don't rush to visit Hachi-Hachi, binatang. I've been there yesterday evening, and it seemed the Aromax brown shoe cream is currently out of stock. Sorry.

Coho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think this will happen sooner or later
laugh.gif
Cheap labor==>cheap price==>if quality is decent==>more customers. You can thank globalization. Mat, I like how you refer to HCM is Saigon...I dad fought in Nam' and he hated the modern name for the city. Those commie bastards.
Originally Posted by m@T
so there's three of us now. *sigh* I used to like my monopoly on this place
smile.gif

binatang

Reaction score
I've checked those Pierre Cardins, and found that their monks' buckles are unfunctional, but fastened by velcro (damn!). Shoe trees look good, but, unfortunately, not being sold separately. You'll get a pair for VND 250K if you buy the shoes.

They have a nice black 2-eyelet derby (JL Luffield style) though.

P.S: Please don't rush to visit Hachi-Hachi, binatang. I've been there yesterday evening, and it seemed the Aromax brown shoe cream is currently out of stock. Sorry.
Thanks for the info orlagu. Dissappointed about the monks. Will check what they have again this weekend.

binatang

Reaction score
Originally Posted by aleksandr
that's less than what, USD$3?
aleksandr:

For some reason can't reply your PM.
Actually bespoke in HCM is rather tricky.
I would rather recommend Bangkok if you have time constraints.
The good tailors like Dung or Nhut are not speed tailors.

Also there is not much choice in terms of fabric (IMO) & they are expensive cos of taxes. Most of the time I buy my fabrics from Singapore & get them done here.

You can try Cao Minh or Cao Vinh if you have time constraints.
I made 2 shirts at Cao Vinh & they were rather nice but expensive at US$50 each.

orlagu

Reaction score
Just have ordered a pair of 2-eyelet derby (JL Luffield style, again, sorry!) at Tran Quoc Lan. Will see how they turn out after two weeks (fingers crossed).

Some of those Pierre Cardins look nice, but I just hate their engraved logos. And the price is cheaper than VVT place's.

Seems there aren't any shoe tree maker/seller in the city
frown.gif
. The shoplady at Tran Quoc Lan told me there's a shoe last maker in District 8, but he doesn't do shoe tree. Guess I'll have to grab some off eBay, or have my buddies brought over from the US.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads