• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MTM Chelsea Boots from Vietnam

binatang

Reaction score
Just have ordered a pair of 2-eyelet derby (JL Luffield style, again, sorry!) at Tran Quoc Lan. Will see how they turn out after two weeks (fingers crossed).

Some of those Pierre Cardins look nice, but I just hate their engraved logos. And the price is cheaper than VVT place's.

Seems there aren't any shoe tree maker/seller in the city . The shoplady at Tran Quoc Lan told me there's a shoe last maker in District 8, but he doesn't do shoe tree. Guess I'll have to grab some off eBay, or have my buddies brought over from the US.
Ok let that be our next mission - shoe trees! Surely a person that can make lasts can make shoe trees ha ha! You got a contact?

JLo Luffield .... Nice! Let us know how it works out. I have a Cheaney Newman that I haven't got around to wearing yet. None of the my usual shoe trees will work with it due to its shape.
http://www.cheaney.co.uk/product.asp?id=10

neyus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by binatang
You can compare them to RMs but thats missing the point me thinks. The shoes are nicely made & value-for-money. Leather quality is rather good with full/top grain being used as I was able to inspect the skins prior. Lining is fully leather & stiching is Mckay/Blake. Sole is leather with rubber lifts & topies as standard. Damage was only US$65 each.

I agree with you, its about what you get for the money, it aint RM but its not suppose to be.

The pierre cardin shoes look good, particularly the wing tips.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Coho
Mat, I like how you refer to HCM is Saigon...I dad fought in Nam' and he hated the modern name for the city.
In an official or formal context, I will refer to it as Ho Chi Minh City (or Thanh pho Ho Chi Minh if I am speaking Vietnamese). Colloquially, it is basically always referred to as Saigon and the locals will call themselves Saigonese. Unless you happen to be in Hanoi (as I am today actually). Hanoians will pretty much always say "HCMC". Forumite whacked is guilty of this treachery
smile.gif
. Orlagu is also nguoi bac but lives in Saigon - not sure what he says in general conversation. Haven't met him yet (although his office is about 100 meters from mine, so sooner or later it's inevitable). Others will also argue some weird distinction calling district 1 (center of town) 'Saigon' as a part of HCMC...I don't really buy that, but my gf will argue it til she is blue in the face. She is from the north though, so that may explain it.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by m@T
Unless you happen to be in Hanoi (as I am today actually). Hanoians will pretty much always say "HCMC". Forumite whacked is guilty of this treachery
smile.gif

rolleyes.gif
Did I really?

Seriously, I think in casual context, most Vietnamese, north or south, would refer to HCMC just as "Sai Gon". If not out of habit, then out of convenience, for the latter is 3 syllables shorter.

It's understandable that Coho's dad, a 'Nam vet, would hate the new name. However, Ho Chi Minh is uniquely admired throughout the country and his role in Vietnamese history is as great as any. Nothing wrong with the city having its official name tied to the man at all, IMO.

Coho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@ M@t

Thanks for the clarification. I learned a lot from your post

orlagu

Reaction score
Just like m@T, and everybody else living in this city, only in official or formal context that I refer to it as HCMC. "Saigon" is much shorter, so, why not?

Actually, AFAIK, the current HCMC includes Sai Gon, Gia Dinh and Cho Lon (the *Chinatown*).

orlagu

Reaction score
My shoes were completed last Saturday. I think the quality/upper appearance is up to 70-75% of the original JL Luffield (well, they did miss/add some details).

IMG_3240.jpg

IMG_3242.jpg

IMG_3243.jpg

I'm quite happy with this first order. Had to work with them closely on the lasts. Bet things will definitely improve next time.

Next stop: G&G Oxford
blush.gif
... and, who knows, maybe G&G Astaire, too
inlove.gif
(Am I asking too much here?)

binatang

Reaction score
Orlagu,

They look great! 70-75% for 10% of the price is good deal to me ha ha.
So what's the 25-30% thats missing?
I see you went to town with the details like the last, rubber tip & toppy insert.
Excellent!

Coho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How much did they cost, in US dollars? They do look the part. Thanks for posting.

Originally Posted by orlagu
My shoes were completed last Saturday. I think the quality/upper appearance is up to 70-75% of the original JL Luffield (well, they did miss/add some details).

IMG_3240.jpg

IMG_3242.jpg

IMG_3243.jpg

I'm quite happy with this first order. Had to work with them closely on the lasts. Bet things will definitely improve next time.

Next stop: G&G Oxford
blush.gif
... and, who knows, maybe G&G Astaire, too
inlove.gif
(Am I asking too much here?)

janne melkersson

Reaction score
Good looking boots and shoes! One thing though, to get rid of the surplus of upper leather around the instep on the elastic side boot they need to crimp the vamp as shown in the photo.
Janne

orlagu

Reaction score
Orlagu,

They look great! 70-75% for 10% of the price is good deal to me ha ha.
So what's the 25-30% thats missing?
I see you went to town with the details like the last, rubber tip & toppy insert.
Excellent!

1. Well, the leather was not the best quality. You could see some creases on the upper leather already.
  2. Some decorative stitchings were missed, and in the other hand, they added some extra reinforcement stitchings at the heel and waist - which is not a bad thing imho, but apparently makes it look different from the original Luffield.
  3. A little hunch was added to the toe (as shown in attached file), which irritates me most.
But, as I said, I'm quite pleased with the result. At just a fragment of the original cost - approximately 5-6% of the retail price at www.neimanmarcus.com if I'm correct - I can own a (somehow) decent pair of JL Luffield's imitation
tounge.gif

Originally Posted by Coho
How much did they cost, in US dollars? They do look the part. Thanks for posting.
Total damage was VNĐ950,000, which is equivalent to US$60.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Do you know if the leather is full grain or corrected? Is it at least on par with, say, Allen-Edmonds?

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by orlagu
  1. Well, the leather was not the best quality. You could see some creases on the upper leather already.
  2. Some decorative stitchings were missed, and in the other hand, they added some extra reinforcement stitchings at the heel and waist - which is not a bad thing imho, but apparently makes it look different from the original Luffield.
  3. A little hunch was added to the toe (as shown in attached file), which irritates me most.
But, as I said, I'm quite pleased with the result. At just a fragment of the original cost - approximately 5-6% of the retail price at www.neimanmarcus.com if I'm correct - I can own a (somehow) decent pair of JL Luffield's imitation
tounge.gif

Total damage was VNĐ950,000, which is equivalent to US$60.

still, a good looking shoe. the last is very elegant for a $60 shoe, or even a $500 shoe.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kent Wang
Do you know if the leather is full grain or corrected? Is it at least on par with, say, Allen-Edmonds?

You can compare them to RMs but thats missing the point me thinks. The shoes are nicely made & value-for-money. Leather quality is rather good with full/top grain being used as I was able to inspect the skins prior. Lining is fully leather & stiching is Mckay/Blake. Sole is leather with rubber lifts & topies as standard. Damage was only US$65 each.

The last few posts made my day. So proud to be a VNmese.
laugh.gif

orlagu

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kent Wang
Corrected grain is my guess. There's not much chance to find high quality leather in Vietnam, at least within my ability
plain.gif
I haven't owned, or had physical contact with any AE yet, so can't speak
blush.gif
. But I dare say mine surpassed most of the local made shoes in term of appearance (thanks to JL's craftsmanship
worship.gif
) or even quality. Some were sold at a much higher retail price, and still look like crap (fugly square toes and all...)

Kent, I like your SF pocket square
bounce2.gif
. Will order one soon.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads