• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MTM Chelsea Boots from Vietnam

il_colonnello

Reaction score
Originally Posted by trader
for a small fee of say 50 dollars (plus price of shoes + shipping)

To be honest, I think that's a little steep considering it's nearly twice the price of getting the shoes made.

I took my cues from this thread too when I was there and while the result certainly fits my feet better than any OTR I've ever worn, I think the shape of the tip is not very elegant. Which is probably the main problem with just giving them a picture to copy:

VN_shoes_600.jpg

trader

Reaction score
Originally Posted by il_colonnello
To be honest, I think that's a little steep considering it's nearly twice the price of getting the shoes made.
Ya, I understand. It just wouldn't seem like it would be worth anyones time if it were for say 20 dollars. Email correspondence, traveling to the shop to drop off details, picking up the shoes, then going to the post office. And I think at most it would probably be one or two orders a month. You never know, I just thought Id throw it out there. People pay 100 here for 50 dollar wool mabitex/incotex just like a daffys proxy. Nothing wrong with paying 130 for 50 dollars shoes that you couldn't get otherwise withing paying 1500-2000 for a return ticket to VN. edit: just realized the exchange rates are pretty good now (i thought it was 10000 vnd= 1 usd). so maybe it could only be 100 dollars with shipping . anyways, all of it doesn't matter until i see the work myself

aleksandr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by il_colonnello
I took my cues from this thread too when I was there and while the result certainly fits my feet better than any OTR I've ever worn, I think the shape of the tip is not very elegant. Which is probably the main problem with just giving them a picture to copy:

I think they look pretty fine! I noticed their shoe styles tend toward boxier toes, so I guess they were trying to reconcile what they know with what you want.

il_colonnello

Reaction score
Originally Posted by trader
just realized the exchange rates are pretty good now (i thought it was 10000 vnd= 1 usd).

When were you there the last time? I think it was 10,000 to a dollar fifteen years ago, when my parents took me to VN for the first time.
smile.gif

joshyle

Reaction score
Sorry for re-resurrecting this thread, but I stumbled across this thread the other day. Can anyone comment on the quality of the shoes? Or is it, "it's good enough for $65?" I'll be venturing down to Vietnam in August, and figured this might be worth checking. Tran Quoc Lan is still the place to visit? Or have the competitions stepped up their game? Thanks!

tactiturtleneck

Reaction score
I would like to enquire if 97 Le Thanh Ton is still the best place to buy shoes?

As I will only be there for 4 days, this will not be sufficient for me to make anything bespoke? Are there any delivery arrangements possible with them (or any other shoemaker you'd recommend) ? I live in Singapore.

I would really appreciate any help at all. Thanks!

juddcampbell

Reaction score
super old thread bump:

Going to HCMC next month. Going to check this place out. Does anyone know if they make women's shoes? My wife wants some boots made.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads