• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

I still don't dare wearing one myself. Very difficult to pull off, needs lots of charisma and confidence. Considering I'd be wearing it with seersucker jackets, it might even look more costume-ish...

It might be the gatsby theme for boaters but I think I said elsewhere that I can't think of an outfit with a boater that wouldn't look just as good and a lot less costumey with a decent Panama. In warm weather the Panama is probably the most versatile hat of all as it can go with shorts and a t shirt at the beach up to suit and tie. It's also arguably the best entry level hat cos if you are in any way uncomfortable taking the plunge you can always say you're wearing it for sun protection till you get your confidence up!

Orgetorix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Levine Hat Co in St Louis was having a sale, 30% off summer hats, so I picked up this Knox optimo and had them put on a custom ribbon.

null-29.jpg

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Levine Hat Co in St Louis was having a sale, 30% off summer hats, so I picked up this Knox optimo and had them put on a custom ribbon.

null-29.jpg

nephew,
nice looking panama hat, wear in good health

HannibalBarca

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I have a collection of vintage hats, mostly from the 60s and the 70s. Got them all at Ebay. Most aren't good for the type of weather we got here in Houston, we're getting weather in the 90s over here! Sadly I do not own any straw but I did pick this one up from the Fedora Lounge. It's a Stetson Sport-Lite from the 40s. Real good lightweight fur felt and I've been using this when stepping off outside..

'
I like it.. It has a nice wide brim but do you guys think it is a good fit??

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Hello everyone. I have a collection of vintage hats, mostly from the 60s and the 70s. Got them all at Ebay. Most aren't good for the type of weather we got here in Houston, we're getting weather in the 90s over here! Sadly I do not own any straw but I did pick this one up from the Fedora Lounge. It's a Stetson Sport-Lite from the 40s. Real good lightweight fur felt and I've been using this when stepping off outside.. ' I like it.. It has a nice wide brim but do you guys think it is a good fit??
welcome to the forum you could use a hat with a shorter brim

LBC Demon

Reaction score
I wish a had something to add to this thread, but I don't. Instead, I'll vent...

Since my early twenties I've been shaving my head due to male baldness. Sunburns aren't out of the question, nor encounters with things like overhead cabinet doors. There's something about being bald and acquiring wonderful scars from such things. I've long romanced the idea of wearing hats, but I don't feel that I can pull them off. This thread has been great because I can appreciate the posts, but I sure wish I had the courage to give it a try. I can't even figure out what hat fits my head shape because I can't even tell what my head shape is! I don't possess any strong facial features that can be associated with the typical guidelines I've read.

Gentlemen, I appreciate what you do. Thank you for the wonderful photos and examples!
I think in your situation you have nothing to feel vulnerable about. You would be using a hat for a purpose. I have the opposite problem from you. I have thick long hair and I use hats to keep it out of my face. Before my hair was long enough to tuck behind my ear I would even wear a hat at a restaurant(I know sin!) to keep my hair out of my food. I like following hat etiquette but sometimes the rules need to be broken in the name of functionality.

I would wear a baseball cap more but most just fit weird on my head. A real hat is much easier to fit on my head. I suggest getting a casual summer hat to start off with. When I first started wearing hats my friends gave me grief but now years later no one even bats an eye if I show up with a suede fedora.

Now a question for you guys. What do you think about a feather in the band? I personally always take it off. I can't justify that look.

Here is me before the long hair wearing a new Stetson. Since then I have bought a few vintage 60's/50's Stetsons

Last edited:

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Now a question for you guys. What do you think about a feather in the band? I personally always take it off. I can't justify that look.

I'm not a fan of feathers myself.

HannibalBarca

Reaction score
  • mcarthur: Thank you, sir. I thought it was a little wide and I was thinking of maybe cutting the brim but I don't want to lose the brim edge decoration..

• ManofKent: It's nice seeing someone from the FL posting here. I always like the hats you wear. Keep it up!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads