• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

(Official?) Fit Critique Thread

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Baverso, my quick estimation is that the waist is too big on the jacket, which is an easy fix. As mentioned above the sleeves are too long. Not sure if you wanted an overall critique but the shirt collar appears to be 1/2" too large, in addition a spread collar would be better suited to this application. Also, tighten the tie knot, it's very loosely tied.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hey:

I'd really appreciate it if someone could let me know whether this fits OK for a beater jacket. It actually looks pretty sleek from the side; from the front, I seem to look about 20 lbs heavier in the pics :hide: :

fMIeE.jpg

ZTamC.jpg

Thank you, iGents.

Last edited:

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hey:

I'd really appreciate it if someone could let me know whether this fits OK for a beater jacket. It actually looks pretty sleek from the side; from the front, I seem to look about 20 lbs heavier in the pics :hide: :

fMIeE.jpg

ZTamC.jpg

Thank you, iGents.

It's gonna grow a bit when it's ironed out. Bear that in mind. Particularly if it's not lined or canvassed (which appears to be the case).

Scotty

Reaction score
I don't know if this thread it's still "live" but, anyway, I'll post here my fit question.
I just bought me a Burberry Sport Coat on sale. I found lately that it must be a suit jacket, if I'm correct, as the label indicates the drop (7).
So, the question is about general front fit (if you can tell from these poor pictures) and about using it, as I intend, as a sport coat. I would say so as I haven't seen anyone with a suit like that in this town though I plan on changin those ugly black buttons.
Veredict ?

pcsk77

Reaction score
Hi, I have a question about the fit of my pants.

How long should the rise be? If I have my pants coming up to about an inch below my belly button, is that about right for a modern cut pants?

I have attached a photo to illustrate how far the pants is coming up.

Thanks everyone for your feedback.

Boulder

Reaction score
Yet another fit critique request:

This is my second shirt from ModernTailor, and although I am quite pleased with the fit, I have some issues with it that Id like to get straigthened out before ordering more shirts.
My problem regarding shirts has always been my freakishly long arms, so when I learned about the possibility of afforable MTM online I instantly gave it a go. I will not bother you with that initial attempt as it did not really pan out that well.

However after making adjustments to that set of measurements I ended up with this, my best fitting shirt ever. Please note that all my other shirts fit horribly, so that is not really as powerful a statment as it might seem at first.

My biggest problem with this one is the folds that form as a line between my armpit and my neck. They where visible on the previous shirt as well, and through searching this forum I found that it might be related to my stooping posture and sloping shoulders. Therefore this shirt is acctually made with the sloping shoulders pattern that MT offers, but it is no better than the previous one in this regard.

Any pointers on how to minimize this in the future is greatly appriciated! And of course, any other critique on the fit is welcomed.

PS: Im aware that this shirt might not pass as "classic" menswear.

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Yet another fit critique request: This is my second shirt from ModernTailor, and although I am quite pleased with the fit, I have some issues with it that Id like to get straigthened out before ordering more shirts. My problem regarding shirts has always been my freakishly long arms, so when I learned about the possibility of afforable MTM online I instantly gave it a go. I will not bother you with that initial attempt as it did not really pan out that well. However after making adjustments to that set of measurements I ended up with this, my best fitting shirt ever. Please note that all my other shirts fit horribly, so that is not really as powerful a statment as it might seem at first. My biggest problem with this one is the folds that form as a line between my armpit and my neck. They where visible on the previous shirt as well, and through searching this forum I found that it might be related to my stooping posture and sloping shoulders. Therefore this shirt is acctually made with the sloping shoulders pattern that MT offers, but it is no better than the previous one in this regard. Any pointers on how to minimize this in the future is greatly appriciated! And of course, any other critique on the fit is welcomed. PS: Im aware that this shirt might not pass as "classic" menswear. [COLOR=A74345] [/COLOR]
you have very sloping shoulders also your shoulders point forward. they did a pretty good job for an online shirt hips are too tight. by 1"-2" shirt is getting cught on your hips. if you plan to wear untucked you should give up some of the waist taper sleeves look too narrow!

Boulder

Reaction score
you have very sloping shoulders
also your shoulders point forward.
they did a pretty good job for an online shirt

hips are too tight. by 1"-2" shirt is getting cught on your hips.
if you plan to wear untucked you should give up some of the waist taper

sleeves look too narrow!

Thank you for the feedbak Shirtmaven!

I think you are right about my shoulders being pointed forwards, if I press them back the folds/winkles disappear. I will address this thoroughly in my work-outs from now on, as I believe it can be corrected. Not so much with the sloping, but it is what it is. Any measurements that can be changed to lessen the effect?

I also agree on the hip measurement, I will try to add some inches here on my next order, and yes the sleeves are a bit narrow if I bend my arm.

DarkDestiny

Reaction score
Thank you for the feedbak Shirtmaven!

I think you are right about my shoulders being pointed forwards, if I press them back the folds/winkles disappear. I will address this thoroughly in my work-outs from now on, as I believe it can be corrected. Not so much with the sloping, but it is what it is. Any measurements that can be changed to lessen the effect?

I also agree on the hip measurement, I will try to add some inches here on my next order, and yes the sleeves are a bit narrow if I bend my arm.

Those two particular defects are in the way the shirt is constructed rather than the measurements of the shirt. Think in angles rather than the measurements. IModerntailor has the option to select sloping shoulders during shirt construction to address it. You may want to bring to their attention the forward pitched shoulders. They may or may not have anything for that.

FashionAssass

Reaction score
From a fit perspective how does the shirt feel when u wear it. Do your movements feel retricted? What is the material like? From my experience quality and workmanship count as much as style & fit..

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Staff online

Forum statistics