• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

rc121

Reaction score

You probably need to provide sizes you wear for other shoes in order for those sizes to serve as a reference point.

I did provide my reference to AE sizing on the 5 last (8eee) in my previous post, which seemed to get overlooked by the constant argumentative posts that followed.

I believe my brannock measurement was an 8e, but I had to go wider on the two pairs that I have now since they run narrow. my approximate foot measurement is 26cm by 10.2cm

Last edited:

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'd also maybe get actual (Brannock) size. You can provide this and they'll tell you your most appropriate size/last based on actual inside dimensions

Brannock is good for length, arch length and ball width only. It absolutely sucks for girth or width in toes or instep.

I did provide my reference to AE sizing on the 5 last (8eee) in my previous post, which seemed to get overlooked by the constant argumentative posts that followed.

I believe my brannock measurement was an 8e, but I had to go wider on the two pairs that I have now since they run narrow. my approximate foot measurement is 26cm by 10.2cm

Do you have wider fore foot and normal heels? Or the other way around? The best thing you could do is ask Pepe if he can add additional width to the problematic areas. Don't get any stock last unless you want to exercise some shoe stretching jobs.

rc121

Reaction score

Do you have wider fore foot and normal heels? Or the other way around? The best thing you could do is ask Pepe if he can add additional width to the problematic areas. Don't get any stock last unless you want to exercise some shoe stretching jobs.

a wider fore foot. can anyone compare the olfe last (or any meermin lasts)
to any of AE's lasts? I have an AE here but no other place to get a point of reference.

rc121

Reaction score

My AE/Alden's are wider than my Meermins when I size down by 1. Seems like you have an extremely wide foot (8EEE). if I were you, I'd size down by 1/2 instead of by 1.

this is what I was thinking as well, maybe why luisa recommended the 7.5 as I'm assuming it would equate to an 8.5US.

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
a wider fore foot. can anyone compare the olfe last (or any meermin lasts)
to any of AE's lasts? I have an AE here but no other place to get a point of reference.

My AE/Alden's are wider than my Meermins when I size down by 1. Seems like you have an extremely wide foot (8EEE). if I were you, I'd size down by 1/2 instead of by 1.

Dont' just size down 1/2, you will have noticeable heel slipping, uncomfortable arch location, and stride at the wrong place of the sole.

Size down 1, but ask for increased width (MTO) for the forefoot and stay with the normal width for the heel. Go for a non-captoe design first.

Try Hiro with extra forefoot width (specify big toe, pinky, and/or instep/vamp girth). Olfe wont do you any good.

It's a pain to find the right fitting shoes for people with wide feet like us, will take some trial and error.

Last edited:

bboysdontcryy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can ask for a wider width on the MTO shoes, not on the regular ones. I was under the impression it was the latter you had your eyes on which was why I said I'd size down by 1/2. If you're going for MTO, so much the better. Anyway, Meermin will take exchanges, or you could always purchase insoles.

Last edited:

gyasih

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just for the record, the Meermin Museum are the bomb!! Thanks TS.

I wish JL 7000 or 8000 fit me this well.

Rocking the pink socks :slayer:

Last edited:

Displacement

Reaction score
Looks like I'm going to have to cancel my first order. Despite assurances that they would be shipped in time, there is now not enough time for them to get here from Spain before my wedding. I'm disappointed that 2 months wasn't enough time for them to get me shoes, but I should have known what I was getting into from the beginning and they didn't charge me anything so there's no harm no foul. I'm sure I'll try again when there's no urgency or, more likely, confirm what they have in stock before ordering again.

Oh well.

rc121

Reaction score

You can ask for a wider width on the MTO shoes, not on the regular ones. I was under the impression it was the latter you had your eyes on which was why I said I'd size down by 1/2. If you're going for MTO, so much the better. Anyway, Meermin will take exchanges, or you could always purchase insoles.

I was actually going for the rtw since this would be my first purchase, and I would love to get in on either of the plum museum mtos but I need to get the sizing right first. I specifically asked luisa what shoes they had in stock in my size and she gave me several on the olfe last in 7.5uk. so my hope was to get a rtw asap and then go from there on the mto.

Rankiz

Reaction score
My pair of chukkas boots from Meermin in size 7UK Rui (EE) fits me very good, but Hiro in 7UK (E) is quite tight in the width, should I size up to 7.5 UK in Hiro last?

Vodking

Reaction score

Putting my vote in for a plum museum calf punched cap adelaide with heel counter (Olfe last) like the G&G St James II above.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads