• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

lefty's random dog thread.

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^I wasn't aware there were competitions...I think Ripley would be happy to know she could be doing this professionally!

Looked pretty much exactly like what happens in your vid, with the exception of face licking at the end instead of biting.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dcg
^I wasn't aware there were competitions...I think Ripley would be happy to know she could be doing this professionally!

HH contests became very popular in the bulldog world during the '90s. The bulldog guys had zero control over their animals and this was a way to do bitework. The events are usually pretty idiotic and I'm not a fan but Gubby was a special dog.

A dog that hits you in the back of the knee is going to drop you regardless how big you are or how small the dogs is. Fastest I've been knocked on ****** was by a tiny (45lb) Donovan Pincher named Bam Bam. Speed and a knee shot dropped me.

lefty

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Supreme Court begins to hear the dog fighting video case. Interesting opinions:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/07/us...ef=todayspaper

Strange timing. I mentioned Francis Metcalf a few posts back and just found out that his great dog Turbeaux died. Turbeaux was a French Ring 3/Mondio Ring 3 and a dog that taught many NA decoys ring sport.

Here's Turbeaux retrieving a quarter:

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

lefty

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If the conviction for selling dogfighting videos stands, one has to wonder if travelogues showing bullfights in Spain are going to be criminalized as well. Animal fighting and human-animal combats are legal and popular in many foreign lands.

We are so inconsistent about these matters: Mere selling of dogfight videos is criminalized, yet one can constantly watch animals being shot and killed on the Outdoor Channel. Personally, I'd rather be rolled or matched than shot!

And then there is the whole matter of sled dog racing, most notably the Iditarod. Most of the complaints levelled against the dogfighters can be raised against the mushers. There is a lot of cruelty and relentless culling. Dogs perish in large numbers during these races. Many that are lamed are left to die of exposure and starvation in the snow. The dogs otherwise spend much of their lives on chains (much like a lot of fighting dogs--the accommodations at Michael Vick's kennel looked rather nice, by comparison: ample shelter, spacious runs). No fighting dog undergoes anything like the hardships the dogs suffer during the Iditarod. Yet, dogfighters are despised as the scum of the earth and subject to felony prosecutions. The Iditarod is a gala event with all manner of sponsorships from major corporations. Go figure!

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That's it. When the HSUS and Peta decide that a correction collar is cruel do we erase all the episodes of The Dog Whisperer?

lefty

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I see by the morning's paper that the United States Marines are now going to be banning "evil" breeds from Marine family housing. Those proscribed are "Pit Bulls" (usually these bans also comprise AmStaffs, American Bulldogs and, ridiculously enough, Staffie Bulls), Rottweilers and Wolf-hybrids (impossible to distinguish from other husky mixes).

I mean, if the legendary "Devil Dogs" of the USMC are turning into a bunch of damn pussies, what hope is there for the country as whole?

The ban is the result of an incident in which a three-year-old boy was fatally bitten by a pit bull at Camp Lejeune.

Owners of the proscribed breeds will be able to keep their dogs until 2012 if they pass some sort of temperament test.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^ It won't affect many. Pits and rotts have never popular on US bases to begin with (it's difficult to bring those breeds overseas anyways).

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NorCal
I knew that guy looked familiar! There was an article about him a while back in the local rag.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...DD3B19ELGQ.DTL

Just read that, NorCal. As I said, Francis is a great trainer and if you have the opportunity to train with him it's worth it.

Originally Posted by JLibourel
I see by the morning's paper that the United States Marines are now going to be banning "evil" breeds from Marine family housing. Those proscribed are "Pit Bulls" (usually these bans also comprise AmStaffs, American Bulldogs and, ridiculously enough, Staffie Bulls), Rottweilers and Wolf-hybrids (impossible to distinguish from other husky mixes).

I mean, if the legendary "Devil Dogs" of the USMC are turning into a bunch of damn pussies, what hope is there for the country as whole?

The ban is the result of an incident in which a three-year-old boy was fatally bitten by a pit bull at Camp Lejeune.

Owners of the proscribed breeds will be able to keep their dogs until 2012 if they pass some sort of temperament test.

I can't imagine how horrible it would be to lose a child from a dog attack. BSL is a quick and easy answer to dog bites and I guess it's somewhat reassuring to other parents. ****** situation all around.

On to happier things. This is a beautiful Boxer.

Y2_miGyno2ydooa9HBXGxSv_lHEGJ18ajPhrTMAndnI,.jpg
Y2_miGyno2ydooa9HBXGxSv_lHEGJ18a388gQS5RJeU,.jpg

Y2_miGyno2ydooa9HBXGxUZ_SDDBim0zFvM3TolICrs,.jpg

lefty

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^Good looking Boxer, not an American one, I'm sure. It's funny. I don't like tail docking as a general thing, but undocked Dobes, Rotts and Boxers just don't look right to me!

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
European dog. I don't love the tail either but in this case he has a nice thick tail which I believe is a result of actually breeding for a tail. Intact US dogs tend to have a thin whiplike tail that looks like ****.

I love his colour - a deep stag red with little to no flash is getting harder and harder to find in the Boxer.

lefty

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Funny, the tail was the first thing that jumped out at me (in a positive way).

Beautiful dog.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lefty
European dog. I don't love the tail either but in this case he has a nice thick tail which I believe is a result of actually breeding for a tail. Intact US dogs tend to have a thin whiplike tail that looks like ****.

I love his colour - a deep stag red with little to no flash is getting harder and harder to find in the Boxer.

lefty

Given my fondness for APBTs, I quite like "thin, whiplike' tails. The Tosa's tail is supposed to look like a Samurai katana, which may be somewhat fanciful.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads