• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rory Duffy: The Unmaking of a Coat

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I suppose it's all a matter of taste, but I meant slightly stale by contemporary standards -- not old-fashioned, and certainly not obsolete. Duffy's preferred cut (like many older Poole samples I've seen) tended to have a relatively low two-button stance, slightly bellied lapels, moderately roped shoulders with a clean sleevehead, a clean chest, and trim high-waisted trousers -- all of which (by his own admission) suggested a slight Carnaby Street flair. To be fair, the samples of his work I saw were overwhelming made for himself, and reflected his somewhat piratical personal style and lanky frame. I myself favor a more classic drape cut, and was always pushing Duffy to at least learn how to make it, which to his credit I think he did. (Although not in the coat featured in the series, which I deliberately asked him to make in his preferred style).

Maybe after going "full bull" on a tailor's work you never experienced, it's not such a good idea to go "full bear" on a coat you never received.

Last edited:

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Good grief. Read my post again. The styling might not have been exactly what I prefer, but it's what a lot of guys like, and in any case what I was really excited about was showing the craftsmanship inside a coat, whatever its cut. Ultimately, Poole's -- and Duffy's -- philosophy is that the cut needs to serve the client.
Sorry. I was distracted by the contrast between your full on puffery when you were getting paid and your studied criticism when you weren't so I did not read your post enough times to understand how perfectly consistent it all is.

carpu65

Reaction score
Asia.
China (maybe Hong Kong),Japan or Korea.
Is not impossible that back to some Savile Row firm,if does not make fortune in Asia.

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just read the OP again.

Is this threak just marketing for your new website?

Because that would actually be pretty smart.

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Skirt on fleek, btw.

emptym

Reaction score
Am I the only one who thought the pirate comparison was a compliment?

fassbinder

Reaction score

II myself favor a more classic drape cut, and was always pushing Duffy to at least learn how to make it, which to his credit I think he did.

Interesting. How did he learn how to make a drape cut suit if he wasn't trained to do one at Henry Poole?

greger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

when you are exceedingly handsome, as I am, you have no need for shears, golden or otherwise. You can cut cloth with a mere gaze.

Works great until a pretty girl comes along, and then the cloth is ruined.

greger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Montauk, do you know the difference between bespoke and m2m? It sounds like you don't.

When you went off to a third party that sounds like a deal breaker to me. Wouldn't that be the beginning of the end? You made a deal with one person (1) then went to another (2) and made a deal without his (1) involvement until later? I would have thrown you out then.

Always somebody new coming along.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads