• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Law firm interview attire

montecristo#4

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
No brainer. Wear a suit.

I work for a software company in DC where very casual is the rule, but if anyone came in for an interview with us wearing less than a suit, he wouldn't get hired.

BTW, I am also an attorney, so I know how these firms operate.

retronotmetro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tis true, Retro.  But if a partner is a strong no, then the most glowing associate recs in the world probably won't help.  Also, the associate's "yes" will likely not be as strongly worded if the associate senses hesitation from the partner.
True also. I just threw it out there because there really are recruits who think that the partners make all the decisions and the associates are just on the callback schedule to help sell the firm. That kind of thinking can cost people big time.

The only market where I'd worry about ignoring a "business casual attire" letter from a recruiting coordinator is in the SF/SV market. People in that market have a decidedly different view of attire. But even there, I'd go with a tieless dress shirt/sport coat/odd trousers combination.

Navy09

Reaction score
Well, I definitely appreciate all the arguments being made in favor of the suit. And, I only have two things to add to the discussion:

1. To whomever asked the original question, remember that all the advice (mine included) coming from this website is from people who love clothes and I'd guess suits especially. I'd just take that bias with a grain of salt. The thrust of my opinion was, and still is, that wearing clothes that track the firm's culture will not stand out but bucking the trend will. In the post-interview wrap up you'll probably be the "guy in the suit" and hopefully "the guy in the nice suit."

2. In my experience on call-backs, doing them myself and seeing others, while the partner's opinion is probably equal to the four associates combined when giving a positive, even a single associate's negative comment will carry great weight so be on best behavior with them all. You can expect to have at least one you won't particularly like or who grates on your nerves. However, instead of making this a cause for extra nervousness, remember that you're interviewing these people too. Be yourself because they will be themselves. You're going to be spending a whole lot of time with wherever you wind up.

JDMcDaniel

Reaction score
Thanks all. I am going to wear the suit. It just seems far less risky than going business casual.

I wouldn't have even asked, except that call back interviews seem designed to gauge "fit" as much if not more than competence.

Lynch Bages

Reaction score
I am a partner at a large NY firm. Business casual is on its way out and, even when it was "in," there were numerous partners who refused to accept it. If an associate were to find fault with you for wearing a suit to an interview then I would have questions about whether that associate "fits in." Everyone will understand your decision to wear a suit notwithstanding that you have been told the firm has a business casual policy. In my mind, it looks better that you wear a suit having received that letter because it shows that you want to make sure that you look professional in the traditional sense, which I think shows sound judgment on your part. The answer is: wear a conservative suit. Good luck with your interviews.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Never hurts to be a little too conservative. If you need to, you can still be relaxed and not off-putting while wearing a tie.

If you have a choice, however, might be best not to wear your snazziest cocktail-hour suit. Dress for broad daylight.

soccemel

Reaction score
Yet another vote for wearing the suit and tie. It does not have to be the most formal suit in the world, nor should you feel obligated to wear a white shirt (again the most formal), but nothing completely outlandish either....

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'd concur, our office is definitely business casual on the best of days, but when I make hiring decisions, I won't even consider hiring someone not wearing a suit for a professional level position, just strikes me as not taking the interview seriously.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll go one step further and recommend a navy or charcoal suit (preferably solid), a white shirt, and a red or blue patterned tie.  DC is a conservative town.  Come equipped with good questions and a non-boilerplate answer to the question "Why do you want to work for us?"  And don't order pasta for lunch.

Navy09

Reaction score
I think no pasta for lunch was the best advice offered up.

Let us know how the callbacks go and where you wind up working. Good luck.

Andrew V.

Reaction score
It's one thing to say that you would not hire someone who did not wear a suit to an interview. It's an entirely different thing if an interviewer told an interviewee to dress business casual, then rejected the interviewee for not wearing a suit. That would be a ridiculous mind game.

But I agree with all those who say that it wouldn't hurt to wear a suit in the original poster's scenario.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads