• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is it a faux pas to wear cashmere in the spring time?

Reaction score
It still is chilly here on the East Coast in the States. Like temperatures in the 40's when factoring windchill, especially in the mornings and evenings. But this is that awkward time of year where people still dress like it's winter.

I have a Ralph Lauren cashmere sweater that I love to wear over a button up with a camel colored Barney's 100% cashmere sportcoat. I only wear the combo once or twice a year because in the fall, you feel pressured to wear something like a camel topcoat as opposed to a cashmere sportcoat unless the occassion calls for nothing less than a proper looking suit jacket. High quality cashmere is historically one of the biggest sartorial flexes of all time, but you feel like you can only wear it from October to early March. I'd say you can get away with wearing cashmere in the early spring, but you are pushing it wearing most cashmere garments designed for fall and winter in May.

hbk320

Reaction score
Short answer, for your case, no faux pas.

Long answer below.
I believe faux pas happens when you wear a garment that either serves no purpose (function) or is counterproductive.
Say, heavy tweed during Southern summer.
In your case, I believe it's great that your cashmere knitwear serves a good purpose (function). Hence, no faux pas here.

I still wear my tweed jackets, heavier flannel trousers at the moment because temperature starts at 30F in the morning then peaks at 55-60F in the afternoon.

Reaction score
I think color matters as well to a degree. Ralph Lauren cashmere cable sweaters selling right now are typical spring colors like pastel yellows or bright colors like blue and green. If cashmere sweaters were out of season altogether those items would be probably on sale for a steep discount right now. It is worth noting that some of the most trademark spring items like cricket jumpers are almost always cotton/cashmere mixed fabrics when they are better quality.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Changing climate has upended the already long-stale NYT Style Section rules. I wear linen as long as it's warm and cashmere as long as it's cool.

The only thing I find myself unable to do is wear a piece of clothing as a contrivance. Hats, gloves, scarves, etc. only worn for the weather rather than as an accessory.

Last edited:

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Around here, we are still having days with highs in the 40s some days, so definitely still cashmere knits. I know people who grew up to very hot places who wear cashmere nearly the entire year after having moved to much colder climates.

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Southern California year round cashmere wearer here...

Yesterday I wore a Todd Snyder cashmere long sleeve polo sweater with impunity, because it was in the 60s...

BoydsShoes

Reaction score
It still is chilly here on the East Coast in the States. Like temperatures in the 40's when factoring windchill, especially in the mornings and evenings. But this is that awkward time of year where people still dress like it's winter.

I have a Ralph Lauren cashmere sweater that I love to wear over a button up with a camel colored Barney's 100% cashmere sportcoat. I only wear the combo once or twice a year because in the fall, you feel pressured to wear something like a camel topcoat as opposed to a cashmere sportcoat unless the occassion calls for nothing less than a proper looking suit jacket. High quality cashmere is historically one of the biggest sartorial flexes of all time, but you feel like you can only wear it from October to early March. I'd say you can get away with wearing cashmere in the early spring, but you are pushing it wearing most cashmere garments designed for fall and winter in May.
The answer is no.

None of my friends know what cashmere is.

jdgershbein

Reaction score
I live in the Midwest, where the hawk can rev up any time of year. I run cold and wear Merino wool year-round, but cashmere?

I travel in my professional speaking business and can spend a fair share of the warm season in hotels with the A/C jacked up so high that my teeth chatter. I have to wear cashmere to walk around the lobby. I have a few cashmere layers (crewnecks and hoodies) in spring/summer shades that serve me well and keep me warm.

Reaction score
I think the general consensus that Fall is the best season for style is correct. Many typical spring styles are a bit garish. Pink suits and seersucker are not really my thing but I could make it work. Too much pastels make people look like big Easter baskets too.

Something like a bright cobalt blue suit or sportcoat of high quality fabric is good spring style to me. I don't think I could pull off wearing a purple suit without looking like the Joker. Or a green one without looking like the Riddler.

I wore my cashmere sweater with my cashmere sportcoat on Friday. I won't lie as a bit warm late afternoon when the temps peaked around 64, but was glad I wore it by the time I was at the bar later that evening once the sun dropped and it was windy.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Southern California year round cashmere wearer here...

Yesterday I wore a Todd Snyder cashmere long sleeve polo sweater with impunity, because it was in the 60s...

hang on this is the nub : did you wear it next-to-skin ?

good cash should easily be next-to-skin soft . in the spring do wear apres-surf and bike to your next rendezvous . yes spring cashmere

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads