• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do Filson Field Satchels wear/break in?

denning

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am, once again, looking for a briefcase. My current condition is that I am just starting my articling and am going to be junior on a rather large case for the next 4 months. My requirements are that the bag can hold my laptop, power bar, assorted books/files/papers/etc., as needed.

I have narrowed down my options to two very different bags.

Option 1: Filson Field Satchel
Size is 16 x 12.5 x 4. I read somewhere that once it breaks in it will loosen up and expand from 4" to 7" wide. Can anyone who owns the bag confirm or deny this?
Will I be able to fit my laptop, a 15" HP (actual width of 14") in it?

Option 2: Atlas Brief Bag
It's not bridle leather like the Filson, but it is belting leather. I like the size of this bag, which dwarfs the Filson at 18 x 14 x 8. I would be able to get in everything that I need to get in. Quality should be reasonable given the company. It stands upright on its own and you have easy access to everything. I will likely go against all reason and get the black version. I'll save the tan leather for a really good case a few years down the road.

Because of the size I am leaning towards the Atlas, and it is a little more than $100 less. But I want to seriously consider the Filson, before dismissing it. Any reasons aside from quality that you would choose the Filson over the Atlas in my situation?

juuceman

Reaction score
I have the Atlas bag and have issue using it for court. More specifically, I can fit a small hearing binder (3" thick or less) in it along with a few legal pads, and that's it. In other words, I'd doubt that you can fit a 15" laptop and much more than a thin book in it. While it looks large, it's not the best for hauling.

denning

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is it the same bag I listed? Width of 8"? The interior shot I saw of it (presented below) makes it seem as though it would be capable of carrying a good deal more than you mentioned. I'm not disputing what you said, just that if that is the case with this bag then I am quite disappointed.

CodeRed

Reaction score
I just bought the Filson and while it will strecth I have doubts that it will accomodate all that much more, but then again mine is still very new. I hope it gets that much large as it is pretty tight right now.

juuceman

Reaction score
Yes, same bag. The space where the pen and business card holder is cannot be used to hold more than pens and a small note book. The center pocket is the largest. Due to the curve of the bag at the top and the manner in which the bag closes, nothing can extend above the leather that separates out the center section. Basically you place the larger item in the center section of the bag (trial binder, text, etc.) and your pads in the smaller side section.

The bag is also rather heavy. It's my ceremonial bag, and makes appearances with me in Federal Court, but otherwise sits next to my desk for the most part.

I like the bag, but it doesn't have the capacity that I hoped for when I purchased it. I'd suggest that you go to a luggage vendor with all of the items you intend to typically carry in the bag prior to purchasing.

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have the Filson leather case you are considering and I hardly ever use it -- it's too narrow for the tax codes and regs and assorted papers I need to carry. Mine is well broken in too and doesn't seem to have expanded much over the 5 or 6 years I've had it. Instead, for day to day, I use a Filson canvas briefcase that expands and flexes quite nicely. I have other briefcases I use for more formal situations. For your case, it sounds like the Atlas would be the better choice. One downside of the Atlas though -- I don't think it has a shoulder strap. Since I often do alot of walking going to meetings, etc., I find the strap to add alot to comfort, especially during colder months when it's nice to have hands in pockets.

denning

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for you input guys.
That's a reasonable concern Kabert, especially because it spends a couple months of the year around -40 here.

I really feel kind of stuck for options now. My budget is max around $500. I want something reasonably classic looking (nothing that looks like a big squishy messenger bag) but don't have any attachents to any particular style (flapover vs. top frame vs. brief bag). Like I mentioned though, the biggest problem is the inclusion of my laptop which will defacto take up a lot of space, unless I just get a small laptop case for it to go along with the briefcase.

If anyone has any suggestions for me, I'm wide open at this point. I've looked at most of the stuff on Classicluggage.com, Korchmar's ebay site, customhide, etc. and nothing has peaked my interest yet. If you've got an idea, pitch it.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
If you're considering Atlas take a look at their flap over accountant's bag, which will hold quite a bit. It's in a style similar to the Filson.

denning

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alan,
Are you referring to the wrap-around dispatch case that you have? I would love to get it, if they had it in stock. Which they don't. Yet.

norton

Reaction score
Look at the Duluth Pack briefcases. I really like my leather and canvas one.

montecristo#4

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If you need a larger bag, the Filson is probably not for you. I have on that is nicely broken in and it's maybe 4.5" wide at the bottom. It will fit a good sized laptop as long as it's a widescreen aspect ratio. I currently have a Dell which fits in there nicely. Previously I had a thinner, smaller ThinkPad, but it was a standard 4:3 aspect ratio and just barely fit due to the height.

That being said, it's a great looking bag and tough as nails. I actually have an extra one (brand new) that I might be willing to part with, if you're still interested.

CodeRed

Reaction score
How long did it take for your Filson to break in? I just got one and it seems like it has already starting to relax a little bit. The bridle leather is so stiff on the filson when you get first get it, I thought that it would take a really long time to soften up.

denning

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Montecristo,
When you put your laptop in there did it fill up pretty much the entire bag? I just have a feeling that in my position for this summer I am going to be lugging a fair amount of material, hence the desire for a more voluminous bag.

denning

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This question goes to Kabert and, well, anyone else for that matter. Kabert, you mentioned you used a canvas Filson. Was it the 257 (http://www.filson.com/product/index....ntPage=family), or the padded version the 258 (http://www.filson.com/product/index....ntPage=family)?

I was just looking at them and they might fit the bill (aside from the fact that they are not leather).

I prefer the looks of the 257 more because the 258 just seems a little too bulky for my tastes, but was wondering about carrying capacity. Also, which colour, the green or the tan, would you consider to be more appropriate? Following, that question, would you even consider these bags to be business appropriate?

Much obliged.

montecristo#4

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by denning
Montecristo,
When you put your laptop in there did it fill up pretty much the entire bag? I just have a feeling that in my position for this summer I am going to be lugging a fair amount of material, hence the desire for a more voluminous bag.

I'd say it fills about 40% of the bag, excluding power adapter, mouse, etc.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads