• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Nice rambling, H. I've read about how attorneys adjust their attire depending on its audience and the message they want to project and I've tried to apply the principles. However, in my country the projections are mostly between big timers, corporate, criminal or small town attorneys. Nonetheless, I do notice what you are saying because my approach towards my colleagues sometimes is affected by my visual perception of them, and of course, the first impression is their attire.

This is part of the reason why I moved away from more european looks and back to the classic american sack suit when I go to court. I can keep things smart without looking too OTT, because the suit itself has a certain disheveled look to it (as I think Holdfast or Vox once described it). Especially as a younger attorney, I can't afford, figuratively or literally, to walk into court looking like I care too much about my suits. Both the court and the clients will wonder whether my legal fees are justified, or going straight to my wardrobe. I therefore embrace my own disheveled look.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Thanks, guys. CTP, you are right - empty pockets are my thing :laugh: I sport a PS occasionally, but tend to reserve them for events or occasions. I do agree on a another .5" on the cuff, which may be a future alteration. This fabric is ultralight so could use a little weight at the bottom o fthe pant leg.

imo, don't do it. just don't do it...

fully agree on the no ps look. it's much cleaner and less affected. well done.

D Yizz

Reaction score

This is part of the reason why I moved away from more european looks and back to the classic american sack suit when I go to court. I can keep things smart without looking too OTT, because the suit itself has a certain disheveled look to it (as I think Holdfast or Vox once described it). Especially as a younger attorney, I can't afford, figuratively or literally, to walk into court looking like I care too much about my suits. Both the court and the clients will wonder whether my legal fees are justified, or going straight to my wardrobe. I therefore embrace my own disheveled look.

My first boss applied this principle to his office. He had never remodeled it since he opened it in the early 70's. He said his clients were poor, and he could not afford that they thought he was gonna rip their money off of them. Sure, I think he was just justifying himself and his mess, but I can validate his point to a certain level. (Since her daughter inherited the office, she made a simple remodeling and it looks a lot nicer.) Comparatively, corporate clients tend to retain the services of attorney offices in the downtown metro area over similarly qualified ones from smaller cities or towns, and I guess it just comes down to perception of a "big gun" representation.

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

These two pics make that look like a completely different jacket! Top photo makes it look 'want-to-buy,' but the second makes it look average-y, IMO...

I am curious why you say this. FWIW, coat's a BB silk sack.

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just black and white.

PandArts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
THANK YOU WAYWRN BROS.

I came to Styleforum specifically because I felt a need to upgrade my professional appearance as one of many possible actions I could take to further my career. I had grown lazy and complacent in this regard over the past 5 years after many years of actually far exceeding the attire of my peers.

I've not posted many looks here yet (only one actually). But I have been watching the posted looks and comments quite closely and working on my wardrobe for the past six weeks diligently: both in terms of effort and expenditure.

Which brings me to my reason for the thank you.

Today I had a brief sit down with the owner of my company, as I do every Wednesday, and for the first time in the 18 years that I have worked with him he commented on my appearance/attire. Needless to say it was a postive and appreciative comment.

This is not an insignificant thing - as this gentleman is one of VERY few words in general and one of even fewer affirmative statements. He is a strictly 'what have you done for me lately' sort of business manager. He dresses quite well within his particular style (southern gentleman of means) but to my knowledge he has never before 'stooped so low' as to compliment anything about the attire of those who 'serve him'.

As I work in an industry in which we sell luxury visual designs to clients I can promise you appearances do matter in very real ways at my workplace.

Thanks again guys. I'm learning a lot around here.

PS - all solictations for payments to you for career image consulting services will be summarily ignored! :devil:

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lufty, If the entire suit was a lighter gray, the yellow tie would have been OK. However, I think with the pants you've chosen, a darker tie would have been better. It would have drawn the eyes upward, helping the overall look to be more cohesive. As it is, the bottom half seems too disparate.

ndw

Reaction score

ndw,

On a non-clothing related note: I spent the better part of a minute trying to guess what you obscured in the sketch behind you.

Ha. Nothing special. Not sure why I chose to blur it out:embar:

[/SPOILER]

Hi Ndw,

Good fit!

+1 for doing it 'your way' ie w/o a square and a classic conservative cuff and pant break.

I've been watching your fits for a while - appreciate that you do it conservatively and your way yet still don't fade into the background.

Well that's nice of you. IRL though it is hardly "my way." I very rarely see squares and/or little to no break trousers. When I do, I instinctively - "wonder if they read SF?" I have said this before, but for me it is all about being comfortable in your clothes- wrt to both fit and not feeling self-concious.

imo, don't do it. just don't do it...

fully agree on the no ps look. it's much cleaner and less affected. well done.

Thanks, Fritzl. I am plenty affected, but much of it is due to laziness. You dob't like the 2" cuff? I think my tailor chopped the excess fabric anyway so no lengthening will be occurring. He also thinks anything cuff larger than 1.5" is ridiculous and prefers a "full" break.

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm glad you mentioned this, because I think it is important as well. Many posters, for example Mr. Daniels, seem fixated on the idea of "power" in dress, when in reality I believe that this fascination is probably something that tries to make up for a personal feeling of inadequacy.

I was truly hoping we could start a new day without any personal attacks or immaturity...:confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads