• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

IsteRed

Reaction score

Probably doesn't get noticed much in Yerevan, to be fair.  The python pockets, though, probably transcend most cultural frames of reference.

Yep, you'll have hard time finding a person to know what is SAS (a chain of supermarkets i Yerevan btw), let alone know its emblem

And deliberately erroneous?

Ed, you've been playing with pythons again, haven't you?  You really must stop that.

Why? Don't you like it?

Last edited:

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Couldn't get a great pic today but went to a friend's graduation event so I'm rocking a little alma mater spirit tie!

(colors in 1st are accurate… 2nd just to show the links.)

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
What is cacophonous for you? That might help us help you understand.

Your question should be answered by someone else and - of course - it's ok if you don't like it. But I don't understand why you think it's a "rule-breaking fit". Could you explain that, please? Just because of brown shoes?!

Ha! Def. not the brown shoes, at all. I quite like those.
But there do seem to be several elements that generate quite a lot of opposition generally on this thread. Many obviously still felt it came together well. I'm cool with that, but curious as to why. Here's what I see:

Tie:
- Bold, especially on the dark of the suit. I get that one wants contrast, but rarely do successful fits have a value variance this great.
- Yellow, which is generally strongly disfavored here (See the Friday challenge the central premise of which was that it's near impossible to do a yellow tie well)
- Wide, especially in comparison to the slender lapels and your frame (which, to be clear, I envy)

Shirt:
- Bold/fun stripes plus contrast collar (OK, it's with a suit. But a NAVY suit. Fun meets conservative business dress)
- Size of stripes not far off from the scale of pattern in tie

Lapels slightly more slender than is usually preferred here, though that may just be in proportion to the tie.

Yellow ties are definitely not to my taste, and I generally don't go for contrast collars either, but this seems to me like a good execution of a particular aesthetic. Thus my thumb. It's not SF dogma-consistent, but that doesn't make it bad.

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wearing a belt with a vest is a bit of a faux pas, but your vest is also too short. Make sure it completely covers your waist, so that no shirt (or belt if do wear one) is visible.

I know about this rule but don't necessarily agree with it. For instance:

Of course, several things about this are "wrong" - sleeves too short, no socks, tassel loafers with a suit, model is too handsome and so forth. But I think the visible belt buckle creates a really nice secondary focal point (primary being the bow tie) within a sea of windowpane.

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

you're so consistently good, I don't think I've really disliked anything you've ever posted SB

Linen trews?- I don't think this works Seajen, not up to your usual outstanding-ness. the jacket looks Odd, and trews that casual aren't tie-worthy IMO. The shoos (cordo?) have a gravity not matched by those flimsy pants

Yesterday in Macclesfield:

I dislike contrast collars Braddock, so maybe that's prejudiced me, but this fit's a bit all over the place IMO. Top block's too busy- such an in-you-face tie and shirt would b better with a plain linen hank IMO
lapels are bowing- suit's too tight all over IMO Guy with your dignity and suave-
neity could go for a more relaxed fit . no hayt!

Happy B'day Stitches

PCK1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
People should post more full fits...this thread has become populated with a mass of incomplete fits.

Just showing a close up of your tie know, shirt collar, and jacket laps doesn't actually show anything...

For all we know the jacket or trousers you are wearing are 12 times to big...

or that you are wearing sneakers with your suit..

Just a general observation...

Last edited:

SeaJen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry to be a let down today, @Pliny
I quite like linen pants in the summer, and wrinkles aside, these are styled pretty formally and of substantial Irish linen, so I didn't see a formality clash myself. What do you mean by the oddness of the jacket, though. It's a pretty standard navy blazer to my eye. The shoulders are somewhat roped (zegna) and the button point is quite high I guess, but anything else?

I appreciate the suggestion that I'm normally outstanding though. Quite the praise and from someone who his himself consistently excellent. Cheers.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

you're so consistently good, I don't think I've really disliked anything you've ever posted SB

lets not get carried away now. :devil:

Happy B'day Stitches

Thanks!!

People should post more full fits...this thread has become populated with a mass of incomplete fits.
Just showing a close up of your tie know, shirt collar, and jacket laps doesn't actually show anything...
For all we know the jacket or trousers you are wearing are 12 times to big...
or that you are wearing sneakers with your suit..
Just a general observation...

while there is validity to this observation, i think its worth noting the following.

1. not everyone has a personal photographer or a tripod and proper camera, so for some its just not really an option. as for propping up your phone on a stool or step, its almost impossible to get a good angle, and a bad angle of a full fit will completely misconstrue it to the point that feedback is often on issues that are not really there. and in that case, close ups of potions of the fit are better than nothing.

2. there is a lot to be said for focusing on just the jacket/tie/shirt/PS composition of a fit. i think that its just as big an area of error as proper fit, and often harder to learn. there is no shortage of combinations here that get posted that are incoherent in so many ways. posting a close up of just a top block allows people to focus solely on the coherency of the items. for those who are new it allows people to give them feedback on their errors so they can learn, and for those that are pros, its a great learning tool for everyone else to see how they combine things. worth noting as well, that full fits necessitate distance and you cant always fully see the individual items to see if they are coherent or not.

3. there are a lot of people posting just block shots that used to post full fits. whether they started as pros or only reached that level later on, it came to a point where it was clear that they had fit nailed down, and most critiquing after that was more personal preference than objective error, and hearing the same feedback over and over that is not beneficial to anyone when that feedback is more subjective than objective. once a person has their fit nailed down, its just a lot easier and less time consuming to post block shots than full shots, and by posting those blocks at least these members are still able to show people how combinations should be pieced together.

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry to be a let down today, @Pliny
I quite like linen pants in the summer, and wrinkles aside, these are styled pretty formally and of substantial Irish linen, so I didn't see a formality clash myself. What do you mean by the oddness of the jacket, though. It's a pretty standard navy blazer to my eye. The shoulders are somewhat roped (zegna) and the button point is quite high I guess, but anything else?

I appreciate the suggestion that I'm normally outstanding though. Quite the praise and from someone who his himself consistently excellent. Cheers.

it's the combination of relatively formal elements up top against the trews IMO.
.. and I think a worsted navy blazer needs some or all of - patch pockets, contrast buttons, swelled edges and at least to be in a roughed worsted like a fresco or a hopsack. From that pic, and i could be wrong, that blazer wants quite formal partners. I love those tassels FWIW

PCK1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
lets not get carried away now.
devil.gif

Thanks!!
while there is validity to this observation, i think its worth noting the following.

1. not everyone has a personal photographer or a tripod and proper camera, so for some its just not really an option. as for propping up your phone on a stool or step, its almost impossible to get a good angle, and a bad angle of a full fit will completely misconstrue it to the point that feedback is often on issues that are not really there. and in that case, close ups of potions of the fit are better than nothing.

2. there is a lot to be said for focusing on just the jacket/tie/shirt/PS composition of a fit. i think that its just as big an area of error as proper fit, and often harder to learn. there is no shortage of combinations here that get posted that are incoherent in so many ways. posting a close up of just a top block allows people to focus solely on the coherency of the items. for those who are new it allows people to give them feedback on their errors so they can learn, and for those that are pros, its a great learning tool for everyone else to see how they combine things. worth noting as well, that full fits necessitate distance and you cant always fully see the individual items to see if they are coherent or not.

3. there are a lot of people posting just block shots that used to post full fits. whether they started as pros or only reached that level later on, it came to a point where it was clear that they had fit nailed down, and most critiquing after that was more personal preference than objective error, and hearing the same feedback over and over that is not beneficial to anyone when that feedback is more subjective than objective. once a person has their fit nailed down, its just a lot easier and less time consuming to post block shots than full shots, and by posting those blocks at least these members are still able to show people how combinations should be pieced together.

1. they can use a mirror to take a good quality selfie...or use a webcam...as most laptops have very high quality cameras built in already....or any other number of ways that are easily acceptable to just about every person living in or around a metropolis anywhere on the planet....this seems to me to just be an excuse.

2. if they are focussing on the jacket/tie/shirt/ps combo...they can post 2 pics...one a full fit...and one a close up...if they need help with this aspect of their fit...it certainly won't hurt for them to get opinions on the full picture as well as the more minute details.

3. even the pros make mistakes and/or could learn new tricks. they limit themselves by posting very limited views of their fit...moreover they also limit the ability of other members to see their full fit and learn.

it is what it is...but its just an observation...

how do i know you weren't wearing sweatpants with that nice sport coat???
tounge.gif

Last edited:

SeaJen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fair enough. Jacket does have contrasting metal buttons. I don't love swelled seams, but I wish it had patch pockets.

it's the combination of relatively formal elements up top against the trews IMO.
.. and  I think a worsted navy blazer needs some or all of -  patch pockets, contrast buttons, swelled edges and at least to be in a roughed worsted like a fresco or a hopsack.  From that pic, and i could be wrong, that blazer wants quite formal partners.  I love those tassels FWIW

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

1. they can use a mirror to take a good quality selfie...or use a webcam...as most laptops have very high quality cameras built in already....or any other number of ways that are easily acceptable to just about every person living in or around a metropolis anywhere on the planet....this seems to me to just be an excuse.

98.753% of pics taken in mirrors and webcams suck. they are generally useless for judging fit. not to mention that in the mirror case that requires holding the camera which also often throws things off. long story short, taking a picture of yourself will rarely end in a successful representation of how you look

2. if they are focussing on the jacket/tie/shirt/ps combo...they can post 2 pics...one a full fit...and one a close up...if they need help with this aspect of their fit...it certainly won't hurt for them to get opinions on the full picture as well as the more minute details.

i agree that people who are learning would be better served with full fit pics, but i cant begrudge them for not taking them. its their loss, not anyone elses. as to long standing members, they almost always have a decent reason for not posting full pics. usually because they have been there done that and dont have the time or incentive to do so anymore, and im just happy when they post at all. id rather a gdl close up or two than none at all.

3. even the pros make mistakes and/or could learn new tricks. they limit themselves by posting very limited views of their fit...moreover they also limit the ability of other members to see their full fit and learn.

generally, people who are pros have proper fit and most of the critiques i see on their fits, especially by n00bs, are cringe worthy. im often not surprised when people just stop posting their fits entirely after the asshattery they endure from nitwits and uneducated johnny come lately's.

how do i know you weren't wearing sweatpants with that nice sport coat??? :tounge:

i guess you will have to take my word for it. and the fact i have not held back a full pic in years. :)

moral of the story is this. i agree, i wish everyone could take awesome pro quality full length fit pics. but lets face it, that is not the reality. not everyone can or wants to. i would rather post a block shot than an ill representing fit pic. it saves everyone time cuz the convo almost always goes like this.

- X is off

- no, thats the angle

- LIAR!!

- I SWEAR ITS THE ANGLE!!!!

somtimes its the angle sometimes it an excuse, either way its tiring and annoying.

so, if a n00b does not post a full pic and he never learns proper fit, his loss not mine. no sweat.

if a pro does not post a full i will assume its right, especially if he has proven he understands fit, and especially if he has actually posted in that suit/jacket/trou 10 times before and i know it fits. again, no sweat.

id love full pics, but im not about to get mad when people dont post them. its their prerogative.

Last edited:

PCK1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i wasn't getting mad either....

as i stated previously...it was just a general observation...

but i do think it would benefit everyone if people did...

EliodA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I may chime in on this debate (and I'm certainly guilty in the top-block-only-pics department): whenever I post a suit or SC for the first time here, I try to include a full fit pic, time allowing. And I hope I'll get feedback on the fit of the items.
But when I post it a next time with a different shirt + tie combo, it makes more sense to focus on that top block, as that is what I am hoping to get feedback for. Posting another full fit pic would, as Stitchy says, only sollicit the same feedback as the first time.

TM79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree that the mirror "selfies" (I hope this word falls off a cliff and dies a Wile E. Coyote style death one day) are usually bad. Between mirrors that may not be clean, distance, angle, not being in a natural pose because you're taking a picture ... yeah, no ... I don't care for them.

So I think unless you can get a proper full shot taken you're better off doing something like what Sotiris usually does and have a series of close ups that give you a full view overall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads