• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Inspired by Claghorns tie, I tried this kombinatonen today ... I suspect all kindz of SF rules are broken here...

I can see why you put together this combination - the blues in the tie echo the blues in the jeans, but you've got a formal up top/casual down below dichotomy going on that upends the look. That being said, full points for wearing a very strong (and very un-SF-correct) tie with as much success as you have.

TM79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I can see why you put together this combination - the blues in the tie echo the blues in the jeans, but you've got a formal up top/casual down below dichotomy going on that upends the look. That being said, full points for wearing a very strong (and very un-SF-correct) tie with as much success as you have.

Minus points for the dad wash of the denim, though :/

And also if the jacket has flap pockets.

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

nice tie SB

MGD83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I was hoping to get some advice here since I know this thread has the most experienced purchasers of higher end garments.

My tailor recently quoted me 1100$ Canadian for a sport coat from the H&S crystal springs collection. The jacket is fully handmade, half canvassed and will probably be half lined with all working surgeon cuffs, patch pockets, etc. I have several jackets made from the same tailor, but never with H&S before.

I think the price sounds OK, I'm just curious to know what some of you think.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

My new SuitSupply linen jacket (part of a suit, but I think it totally works as a separate).

As a separate, it's a little short. As a suit, I'm sure it's fine. If you want to wear it as a separate, perhaps a more casual fit with a unbuttoned linen shirt and pale denim (controversial, I know)? Or chinos? Not sure.

Now, as someone who loves wearing them occasionally, a little advice on how to deploy garish ties, because there are some below-par interpretations so far on the last page or two from Clags, calypso, eviltimeban & ejay. I applaud the experiments but none of them work at all well IMO.

There are two schools of thought for using a garish tie, each with its pros & cons:

1) loud tie, sedate everything else - this has the benefit of making the tie the focal point, but exaggerates its garishness because there is nothing to counterbalance its eyecatching nature. It is however much simpler to do than option 2. An variant of this is using the garish tie with a 3pc suit, which reduces the visual impact of the tie to that of a large pocket square.
2) loud tie, balanced by pattern elsewhere - done right, this is far more visually effective than option 1, but is exponentially harder to do.

Both options require near-perfect colour and tone co-ordination, because you already have a very eyecatching & jarring element in the look, so you cannot afford to mess anything up by adding jarring colours. You can't get away with being slightly "off" in the way you can with solid or subdued ties. Tone is especially important with light coloured ties; it's very difficult to use them with very dark suits. In option 2, you also need perfect pattern co-ordination, which is why it's harder. If you want to start playing with option two, it's MUCH easier to add a busy shirt and solid suit to a garish tie, and have the look work, than it is to add a plain shirt and patterned suit. southernstyle's two outfits on this page (especially the second one), demonstrate this IMO.

Clags - tie is too dark for the suit and patterns are both too large.
calypso - the tie is too light for the jacket, plus the top & bottom add way too much conflict, given the tie.
eviltimeban - the tie is simply too light for the suit.
ejay - the tie is too close in colour to the shirt.

Some Option 1 solutions for your respective ties; Clags - pale blue shirt, dark grey tweed herringbone suit; calypso - lighter blue suit; etb - dove grey suit or go casual with a cream or tan linen jacket perhaps; ejay - ecru/cream shirt. These aren't the only combos that would work, just first ideas straight off the top of my head. I won't offer Option 2 solutions as you really need to lay them out to be sure they work; they're far too dependent on exact colour, tone & pattern.

YMMV, IMO, etc, etc; whatever lets you read it without getting antsy.
wink.gif

Now, to follow up on my own high-risk experimentation from yesterday, I'm going to keep that Nehru shirt as is, but only wear it done-up with solid dark colour SB suits and perhaps light-coloured DBs. Possibly also with more casual outfits (either done-up or unbuttoned), but only in light summer colours. I think the key in all these cases, as hinted by several of you, will be using a "simpler" worsted fabric rather than flannel, to complement the crisp/sleek style of the shirt. Thanks for all the feedback, both the positive & the critical. It's fun to experiment & learn something new.

Last edited:

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Quote:
I meant today's. You're right, it's not loud, I just rolled it into my post because it's a very atypical tie to wear within a traditional suited look due to the very pale colour. It may not be loud, but it does clash quite a bit with the overall look. (Personally I don't think it's a particularly attractive tie, but that's neither here nor there). Similar advice would apply to the paisley, though, if I'm thinking of the same one you are (trying to search back more than a page or two in this thread for it is impossible, sorry).

Rudals

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

I wanted to try this look again (pale blue tie with white shirt) but this time with a more sensible tie:
LL
Tie is Armani, recently acquired from Spoo. Suit is TM Lewin, recently acquired from... TM Lewin. :) So, what do you think? Any feedback here? I like the tie, thought its a hard one to photograph - its quite pale. I went simple on the PS and everything else. Nothing too "out there".
Here's my two cents if it's of any help. You always have a nice fitting suit on but a really LOUD tie. Today's tie selection is not that but that tie needs more life. And I don't think the yellow in that does any good. Navy suit? Then maybe a grey tie with some navy in it instead of the yellow. I don't like the tie.

Last edited:

eviltimeban

Reaction score
Quote:
Tie is Armani, recently acquired from Spoo. Suit is TM Lewin, recently acquired from... TM Lewin. :)

So, what do you think? Any feedback here? I like the tie, thought its a hard one to photograph - its quite pale.

I went simple on the PS and everything else. Nothing too "out there".
Here's my two cents if it's of any help. You always have a nice fitting suit on but a really LOUD tie. Today's tie selection is not that but that tie needs more life. And I don't think the yellow in that does any good. Navy suit? Then maybe a grey tie with some navy in it instead of the yellow. I don't like the tie.
There's no yellow in the tie. Its more a beige.

Appreciate the comments though, keep 'em coming.

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I was hoping to get some advice here since I know this thread has the most experienced purchasers of higher end garments.

My tailor recently quoted me 1100$ Canadian for a sport coat from the H&S crystal springs collection. The jacket is fully handmade, half canvassed and will probably be half lined with all working surgeon cuffs, patch pockets, etc. I have several jackets made from the same tailor, but never with H&S before.

I think the price sounds OK, I'm just curious to know what some of you think.

about ? you're in the best position to judge re your tailor

eviltimeban

Reaction score
I almost want to just ship evilman some ties
smile.gif
Knock yourself out!
smile.gif

I have plainer ties. Some nice ones too; Drake's, Richard James, PRL. As you can see over the year, as I've posted plenty of fits with those kinds of ties, so I know how to work that angle, pretty much. Sometimes though I like to try something different, to see if it works. If it doesn't fair enough. If it does, great. I don't lose any sleep over it though.

BUT I APPRECIATE THE FEEDBACK FROM EVERYONE. I do. I mean it. From the bottom of my tie drawer.

MGD83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

about ?   you're in the best position to judge re your tailor

Sorry, the pricing aspect. If 1100$ is a reasonable amount for the jacket in respect to making it and material cost.

TM79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's a hard tie to make work because it's going to look washed out against most outfits, ETB.

I think you'd need like a light colored linen jacket or something for it ...

Lighter ties aren't my strong suit but I think lighter linen > navy anything

eviltimeban

Reaction score
That's a hard tie to make work because it's going to look washed out against most outfits, ETB.

I think you'd need like a light colored linen jacket or something for it ...

Lighter ties aren't my strong suit but I think lighter linen > navy anything
Cool; appreciate that - while I don't have a light linen jacket (its never that warm in Ireland) I could pair it with a lighter grey next time out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members