• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

CDHagg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm a little out of my depth and am not sure if this is appropriate for a first post, so... If you think I'd be more suited (pardon the pun) to somewhere else, do say so. (Although I imagine I'll be back late in the year, as I need serious dj (tux) advice due to an invitation to the 85th Academy Awards.

So, I'm a young guy, recent grad, trying to get a career going and thought it was about time I got a little more serious about what I wear. This is my first suit and they are my first pair of high quality shoes.

Apologies for the poor photos. First time using this camera.

I prefer double vents but it won't stop me getting something I otherwise like.

I could see many hating this 'redundant' detail but I like it. I think Boardwalk Empire has had a huge impact and the new Great Gatsby will probably do the same.

I wish I could take good photos to do justice to these shoes.

Vintage white gold Waltham c.1930.

1. Post better pictures - chest level, hands at sides and not in pockets, not blurry, etc.
2. The tie knot doesn't look good - it looks like a 4IH that hasn't been cinched at all.
3. Looks like the pants are too tight around your backside.
4. Color combinations look good.

And lastly... welcome to Style Forum!
biggrin.gif

P.S. You've posted in the correct thread.

jordaanman

Reaction score
Thanks!

I've been meaning to learn a new tie knot for years. I've been using this one since I was eleven. Any specific recommendations?

The pants look too tight because of hands in pockets I think (I hope!).

Thanks SF (a new me)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

clarinetplayer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Basketball Sunday! I cannot believe that I am cheering for THE Ohio State University. :embar:

A bow tie should never look perfect, and this askew angle certainly is not!

Last edited:

XKxRome0ox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks bud - yeah, Caruso for Saks "Signature". Part of their recent usage of top tier producers for their house stuff (i.e. Isaia for their suits). Zero alterations, just put the buttons on. It was $2990, I found it by some bizarre luck on sale for $299. [/quote]

O_O

was it mis-priced? like someone left out a zero?
or the tag with the $2990 was on it and then a reduced price of $299 over it?

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Basketball Sunday! I cannot believe that I am cheering for THE Ohio State University. :embar:
A bow tie should never look perfect, and this askew angle certainly is not!

You must be looking sleek for a sport match these days

Loving the texture of it

clapeyron

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks bud - yeah, Caruso for Saks "Signature". Part of their recent usage of top tier producers for their house stuff (i.e. Isaia for their suits). Zero alterations, just put the buttons on. It was $2990, I found it by some bizarre luck on sale for $299.[/QUOTE]

yeah I found a penny today on the sidewalk. guess we both are very lucky dudes.

clarinetplayer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
JapanAlex01
"Where did you buy this tie?"

I purchased it, years ago, at Van Boven's in Ann Arbor.

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1. Post better pictures - chest level, hands at sides and not in pockets, not blurry, etc.
2. The tie knot doesn't look good - it looks like a 4IH that hasn't been cinched at all.
3. Looks like the pants are too tight around your backside.
4. Color combinations look good.

And lastly... welcome to Style Forum!
biggrin.gif

P.S. You've posted in the correct thread.
+1 the colors look well and not often seen

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

was it mis-priced? like someone left out a zero?
or the tag with the $2990 was on it and then a reduced price of $299 over it?

I don't know how it made it through 5 reductions, but that price tag had everything from 20% down to that last $299.

macintosh85

Reaction score

Navy Hickey Freeman Suit 42R
Polo Shirt
Brooks Brothers Tie
Black Allen Edmonds Strands

The quality on this closeup sucks, sorry.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

I'm a little out of my depth and am not sure if this is appropriate for a first post, so... If you think I'd be more suited (pardon the pun) to somewhere else, do say so. (Although I imagine I'll be back late in the year, as I need serious dj (tux) advice due to an invitation to the 85th Academy Awards.
So, I'm a young guy, recent grad, trying to get a career going and thought it was about time I got a little more serious about what I wear. This is my first suit and they are my first pair of high quality shoes.

Apologies for the poor photos. First time using this camera.

I prefer double vents but it won't stop me getting something I otherwise like.

I could see many hating this 'redundant' detail but I like it. I think Boardwalk Empire has had a huge impact and the new Great Gatsby will probably do the same.

I wish I could take good photos to do justice to these shoes.

Vintage white gold Waltham c.1930.

Welcome to the forum, looks pretty decent. Some comments:
As CDHagg said, better camera angle will help.
SF currently has a thing about collar points being long enough to go under the jacket lapels... personally I think those are fine but just to note
shoes are nice, maybe not quite my first choice of shade for that suit. Can't figure out if they're too light or too dark actually but something's throwing me off there
and you already know that with your, ahem, body shape, that double vents will fit you better.
love the cinch-back waist there.
if your shirt has button cuffs, move the buttons over so the sleeves don't fall down onto your hands like that.
I know it sounds crazy but if I'm feeling cheap and need to slim my shirt down a bit (see your back photo), i'll get the center pleat sewen down to reduce the midsection by about an inch, as long as you don't mind it being a bit tight around the upper back

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads