• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

GQ recommending worn, faded jeans for Autumn. Truefax?

heyheyhey

Reaction score
Picked up a copy of GQ yesterday, and in the style and shops section, they said that worn, faded jeans were making a surprise comeback for Autumn.

Thoughts on this? I always think its a very dated look, even for streetwear. Plus its obviously douche territory.

I know fashion goes round and round every few years (Decade), but I thought heavily worn jeans were dead, buried and gone.

constant struggle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why not wear your own heavily worn jeans?
Stop listening to GQ
Stop listening to anyone
Define your ownself

heyheyhey

Reaction score
Thats not the issue I'm trying to discuss.

My point is that worn jeans have been out for a long time, I only see douches wearing them, why would a respected magazine recommend them as a stylish fashion choice.

I am not going to be wearing them, I have my own opinion on it, I'm asking for yours.

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by heyheyhey
Thats not the issue I'm trying to discuss. My point is that worn jeans have been out for a long time, I only see douches wearing them, why would a respected magazine recommend them as a stylish fashion choice. I am not going to be wearing them, I have my own opinion on it, I'm asking for yours.
Respectable in what sense? GQ is going to recommend whatever its advertisers are pushing for fall. They're making money. Plenty of douches read GQ as well, hence why you see plenty of the stuff they push/advertise each season worn by douches.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Originally Posted by constant struggle
Stop listening to StyleForum
Stop listening to anyone
Define your ownself

fixed

heyheyhey

Reaction score
Respected in the sense that the magazine is a go-to for mens style around the world. Not to sound like one of their promoters, but if all the best clothing companies are featured/putting adverts in, surely that gives them some legitimacy?

airportlobby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by constant struggle
Why not wear your own heavily worn jeans?
Stop listening to GQ
Stop listening to anyone
Define your ownself

Gorilla Biscuits quote?

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
of course everything goes round and round

right now 2 button suits are "cool" and 3 buttons are "out"....but that will change soon enough. I remember when everyone was clamoring for 3 buttons around 1993/4 and 2 buttons were seen as boring.

faded jeans will come and go with the masses. Raw denim will always be "in" for seriously serious denim wearers

I love reading GQ/Details but I'm never going to take any style tips from them.

another thing GQ pushes that I can't stand are vests. I think vests look good on 1 out of 50 wearers

**and NOTHING is ever buried and gone. fashion-wise, no one is going to reinvent the wheel so it's all about making a good tire instead

Fade to Black

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart

**and NOTHING is ever buried and gone. fashion-wise, no one is going to reinvent the wheel so it's all about making a good tire instead

+1

it's not rocket science...if you like faded jeans, wear them. If you don't, don't. If you like baggy pants/jeans, wear them. If you don't...

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
I wore faded jeans last week.
byebyecarla.jpg

Rock

Reaction score
Could faded jeans be worn well? Yes. To answer your question, will I be wearing them -- no, besides a pair of broken in APCs.

I actually thought Detail's recommendation of wearing dark black denim instead of dark blue was a more interesting way to inject a little freshness into the raw jeans asthetic.

But yeah, I'm guessing most SFers read these magazines for the pretty pictures, not to hit the next level.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
I love reading GQ/Details but I'm never going to take any style tips from them.

another thing GQ pushes that I can't stand are vests. I think vests look good on 1 out of 50 wearers

+100, especially on the vest. I have seen... one person do it well. Sort of. Most guys look terrible wearing them outside the context of a three piece suit, including all the models in GQ and Details.

heyheyhey

Reaction score
They did a big spread on waistcoats a while back right? I wouldn't take anything they say at face value, it just surprised me when they had brilliant suits and jackets all over the cover and ads, then recommend something I couldn't imagine wearing, or pairing with anything. Then again I cant really imagine wearing cardigans or boat shoes either.
smile.gif

WE350B

Reaction score
I guess that's why this is a Style Forum, as opposed to a Fahion Forum. Style, you define yourself. Fashion, you let others dictate.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads