• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gift for g/f dilemma.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
i vote on ipod.

Tiranis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ratboycom
if you want to go with the Ipod/Scarf Idea and save a few bucks buy her a nice Cashmere scarf from BlueFly.com then get her a Toshiba Gigabeat (its the same damn thing as an Ipod under the skin, infact Toshiba builds the Ipod for Apple. The gigabeat is considerably cheaper)

The iPod is one thing where you don't want to try and buy something cheaper. Not that I'm saying the Toshiba is worse, I haven't even seen it"”I'm fine with my Apple+iPod experience"”but what I'm saying is, to normal person mp3 player = iPod. Buying her anything else could very well look pretty stupid and upset her.

aspriel

Reaction score
If I were to go the iPod route, Tiranis is right here.

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tiranis
The iPod is one thing where you don't want to try and buy something cheaper. Not that I'm saying the Toshiba is worse, I haven't even seen it—I'm fine with my Apple+iPod experience—but what I'm saying is, to normal person mp3 player = iPod. Buying her anything else could very well look pretty stupid and upset her.
You must not have read my post right. IPOD IS MADE BY TOSHIBA! With a different skin of course. The ******* Ipod is nothing but a fashion accessory to most (which explains why half of my college campus wears those **** white ear buds). Gigabeat has a Very Similar look and feel as the Ipod, the case is close match too. I say **** what everyone else thinks, isnt this site about being above/way forward of the trend? Arent we here because we are the Trendsetters not the followers? Take for instance the whole raw indigo denim thing, when I first came here I had hardly heard of such a thing being cool. Now everyone is selling Dark Indigo undistressed denim. But that is just one man's (firey) opinion If anyone needs me I am going to be in the "Angry Dome"

apyang

Reaction score
Toshiba does NOT make the iPod - they make the hard drive. The iPod is manufactured by various firms in Taiwan and China.

Tiranis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by apyang
Toshiba does NOT make the iPod - they make the hard drive. The iPod is manufactured by various firms in Taiwan and China.

Yeah, this man knows his ****, unlike someone. (Also do you really think that Toshiba designs the thing, writes the software, creates the interface, etc.?)

Besides this is not about being trendy, he's getting a present for his g/f. She's not out there to set trends and it's most probable that for her mp3 player = iPod, therefore buying her anything else WILL most likely upset her. Besides, there's the iTS store when you buy an iPod, which is also a great thing.

And I'm not saying you shouldn't buy yourself a Toshiba, but getting it for someone else is a totally different story, especially when it's your girlfriend.

Bandwagonesque

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aspriel
This scarf is totally, totally, totally her (and $100 less than I thought):
NMD4420_mp.jpg

drizzt: That was an option, but her sizing is so weirdly eclectic sometimes, I'd have to do a sort of dry run - a "hey, come try on expensive shiz at Nordstrom for fun this weekend!" and buy exact things - I've seen her not fit into an (L) dress, and seen her try on a (S) that was too big. Women's clothes are freaking WEIRD.

That scarf kicks ass... and if my gf didn't wear it, I'd wear it myself. Much better than the standard Burberry scarf we all know and loathe.

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it'd be cool to get her an Ipod and preload some music on it- stuff you know she likes, or even better albums that have some significance to both of you together.

Bandwagonesque

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You must not have read my post right. IPOD IS MADE BY TOSHIBA! With a different skin of course. The ******* Ipod is nothing but a fashion accessory to most (which explains why half of my college campus wears those **** white ear buds). Gigabeat has a Very Similar look and feel as the Ipod, the case is close match too.

I keep the white earbuds for travelling around. When I don't use my iPod, I usually just chuck it in my bag. I'm not about to upgrade to $150 in-ear headphones and risk having the wiring fail because I put it in my messenger bag and it got knocked around. If these break, I'm out what... $10? And when I'm travelling, I usually keep my volume down low enough that I can be aware of my surroundings. Having your headphones at such a volume you can't hear when somebody asks you a question, or is yelling at you is rude IMO. So really, I don't give a fart about flabby bass, or hissy highs.

Let people think I'm part of the herd.
smile.gif
What they don't know is that all my music is legally paid for (and not that iTunes digital download crap), and my taste in music is superior to their latest top 40 club hits, out of tune indie wankery, or screamo shite.

When I bring my iPod to the office, then I bust out the big Grado cans.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

gamelan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bandwagonesque
I keep the white earbuds for travelling around. When I don't use my iPod, I usually just chuck it in my bag. I'm not about to upgrade to $150 in-ear headphones and risk having the wiring fail because I put it in my messenger bag and it got knocked around. If these break, I'm out what... $10? And when I'm travelling, I usually keep my volume down low enough that I can be aware of my surroundings. Having your headphones at such a volume you can't hear when somebody asks you a question, or is yelling at you is rude IMO. So really, I don't give a fart about flabby bass, or hissy highs.

Let people think I'm part of the herd.
smile.gif
What they don't know is that all my music is legally paid for (and not that iTunes digital download crap), and my taste in music is superior to their latest top 40 club hits, out of tune indie wankery, or screamo shite.

When I bring my iPod to the office, then I bust out the big Grado cans.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

that's either a Ride or Chapterhouse album cover?

-Jeff

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know Toshiba makes the harddrives in the ipod. Samsung makes the flash ram for the new smaller ipods (nano and shuffle). Can't find anywhere where it says that toshiba makes the ipods entirely. Also, the gigabeat is only a wopping $40 cheaper. http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-MES30V...&s=electronics If you want to be a pioneer, just hold out for the new Microsoft Zune: http://www.wired.com/news/columns/0,...l?tw=rss.index Some cool features. It will be "made by" Toshiba as well and heavily based off the gigabeat. Some cool new features in the Zune, wifi music sharing and searching. Honestly, I think the regular ipod is too big and bulky. I like the mini the best because I think they are the perfect size (i have a silver). I'm glad they finally redesigned the nanos to have the nice metal casing like the minis. If I were you I would just get her the 4gb pink mini. It is a good size and 4gb is plenty of music to last you the week. It is $199 also, even cheaper with a student discount, which is pretty easy to get. The nanos are good also becaue if you drop them, the flash is a lot more durable than the mechanical harddrive. Plus everything already supports the iPod, car player docks etc. And it is multi platform, it will play on all 3 big OS.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Oh, in case you are still thinking about the scarf, it's $99 at the Burberry outlet, and comes with a free pair of gloves as well. I picked some up for relatives today while at the Cabazon outlet.

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I say go for above, that sounds like a good deal, I like that scarf posted earlier too.

On the iPod subject, I was misinformed (by a Toshiba rep none the less). As for the price point, my little brother was able to buy a 40gig Gigabeat for less than $200 earlier this year. I personally do not own either iPod or Gigabeat. I own the last gen middle of the line Sony Hi-MD (1gb storage one one disk that is less than $5 a pop, still lets me play my old MDs, I can edit mixes on the fly, and I do not have to degrade the quality of my music to MP3 status if I do not choose to do so) and some big MDR-V500 DJ phones.

So yeah, I was thinking of kind of doing the same for my girlfriend for Christmas but getting her a scarf would be pointless as my mom made her a very nice microsuede crocheted scarf. I bought her a Pink DS Lite just for the hell of it when I was in Japan. So scarf and electronic entertainment device for her daily train ride are out of the quiestion.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On the iPod subject, I was misinformed (by a Toshiba rep none the less).

Don't listen to a salesman, they never know anything. If anything, I'd call the tech support at one of the companies and see if they know anything, but they probably won't tell you anyways due to restrictions. They wouldn't even tell me what city they were in once. And Level 1 tech support is probably just some salesman that got demoted anyways. Google is really the only way to find these things out.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads