• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pants to Pair with Polo Ralph Lauren Doeskin Blazer/Q's About Blazer

benji4949

Reaction score
Hi,

Went to the Polo Ralph Lauren store on Black Friday with my mom and they had a 40% off sale. She had the idea to buy me the largest child size doeskin blazer as I'm 5'7" 127 lb which turned out to be really smart as the nonsale prize of that one is $475 while the adult is $895. The total with the sale was a little over $300 with alterations. Also, oddly enough, the child size one is made in Italy while the adult size is now made in Portugal (used to be made in Italy from what I've gathered). Do you think the child sized one was made by the previous Italian manufacturer of the adult size, and do you guys have any other information on the child vs. adult jacket?

Exact one I got: https://www.ralphlauren.com/kids-bo...3_colorname=Navy&cgid=kids-boys&webcat=search
Adult one: https://www.ralphlauren.com/men-clothing-sportcoats/the-iconic-doeskin-blazer/264003.html

Now for some style questions: what ideas for pants colors work with the blazer, and do you think I should switch the buttons (not a huge fan of gold)? The store near my college sells this brand of dress pants and tailors them nicely so I could theoretically get any of their colors: https://ballin.com/catalogue/product-category/in-stock/

I also found these Ted Baker dress pants online, and I'm curious if the colors/fits go with the blazer (I like that the colors are a bit bold haha).

^ This one may be too bold a color, and doesn't look to be slim fit/is pleated. Also, not sure if size 28 or 30 makes sense for my build.

I really appreciate the help and sorry in advance for the silly questions! I will post pictures once my jacket is done being altered on Dec. 17.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No definite idea on who made your blazer but the made in Italy blazers used to be made by Corneliani.

It's a navy blazer so you can wear any trousers that would go with a navy blazer. Grey of virtually any shade, beige/tan/cream, etc. I wouldn't wear it with blue trousers that are too close in shade or lightness, though, so the trousers you posted are actually one rare example of a color that I would not pair with this blazer.

You can switch the buttons. If you are okay with metal, I like pewter. Otherwise dark brown horn or corozo, or maybe smoked mother-of-pearl.

circumspice

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am not a blazer geek, so I dont know if there is any real historical precedence for my thinking that doe skin skews more FW that year round - as such, I dont like mother of pearl, smoke or otherwise as a button replacement. I like the pewter or dark horn ideas, or perhaps silver.

For trousers, a mid/dark grey sounds in order if you dont already have a pair - these are useful not only for the coat, but for with sweaters, etc

Peak and Pine

Reaction score
Cannot think of a single kind of pant, fabric or color-wise, that won't go with a blue blazer. For versatility and long life, consider khakis. Get three pair, one in British tan, another in standard khaki and a third in bone. Then you're covered for all the seasons. But first I would get a pair of of Dickies 874s, they're 60/40, can be worn anywhere including changing the oil on the pick up you've always wanted and wear like iron. Around $28 new. Much less at thrift.

I still have my blue blazer from college and I'm three times your age. I have worn it with every sort of pant imaginable, from corduroys to linen. I have even worn it with khaki shorts and black socks that go up to my knees, but as mentioned, I'm three times your age so don't you do this.

As far as buttons go, years ago I removed the brass ones, made trimmed, pricked holes in the cloth where they were, then poked the shank of various metal buttons through the holes and put a cotter pin through them on the inside. This is done with certain uniform jackets in order to remove the buttons for cleaning. I did it so I could switch back and forth to horn ones which I also put on a threaded shank. But this is way too advanced and probably too silly for most.

Lad, you were sharp to get the child size blazer. Wear it well. Wear it with anything. And thank your mom.

(I really like the name of the men's store you mentioned. I'd like to name one of my kids that, if I'd had any.)

benji4949

Reaction score
Thank you all for the help and sorry for updating this a year later haha. The blazer turned out great, and I've learned more about tailoring since posting this thread :)

Peak and Pine

Reaction score
^
Good for you.
You came up in the list of New Posts, which coughed up a reminder of this thread and prompted me to go back and read the entire thing. Very interesting the way you laid out your situation in your opening post. Very concise and well put. It also gave me a chance to reread my single contribution and wow, I was really something else there. Enjoyed myself immensely while rereading me. I should post more often.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads