1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Gift for g/f dilemma.

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by aspriel, Oct 21, 2006.

1. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Well-Known Member

This scarf is totally, totally, totally her (and $100 less than I thought):
    [​IMG]

drizzt: That was an option, but her sizing is so weirdly eclectic sometimes, I'd have to do a sort of dry run - a "hey, come try on expensive shiz at Nordstrom for fun this weekend!" and buy exact things - I've seen her not fit into an (L) dress, and seen her try on a (S) that was too big. Women's clothes are freaking WEIRD.

Well, they are, but there are several ways to (usually) deal with that problem... there's the tried and true way of looking for a salesgirl that's approximately the same size as your gf (although they almost always assume you're hitting on them and don't have a gf haha), and things can always be exchanged etc.

I like the light blue scarf, but there's always the option of getting something like this, for $30... I believe ashford has some others for $20 as well that are very nice, probably similar quality to Burberry for far less money.

http://www.ashford.com/product/index...Ns=PriorityAsh

2. tiecollector

tiecollector Well-Known Member

drizzt: That was an option, but her sizing is so weirdly eclectic sometimes, I'd have to do a sort of dry run - a "hey, come try on expensive shiz at Nordstrom for fun this weekend!" and buy exact things - I've seen her not fit into an (L) dress, and seen her try on a (S) that was too big. Women's clothes are freaking WEIRD.
    What's wrong with getting her something and if it doesn't fit then take her out shopping at the nice stores to get something else and then go have dinner?

3. coachvu

coachvu Well-Known Member

That light blue Burberry scarf is much better than the signature tan plaid, at least IMO.

That tan/red/black Burberry plaid is just so ubiquitous, I'd want to get her something more unique to show her she's different than all the other girls out there.

I agree. Anything but the standard Burberry tartan. However, you can still find cashmere scarves that are plaid and of better quality cashmere than the Burberry. STP doesn't have any plaid ones right now, but here are solid color ones from Johnstons of Elgin (considered one of the best cashmere mills in the world) http://www.sierratradingpost.com/pro...Cashmere-Scarf
    $50, and you could still buy her an iPod or other stuff, considering your budget.

4. Mentos

Mentos Well-Known Member

First, I don't see why you want to encourage her to bow to labels and brand names. Second, people from poor backgrounds tend to be very self conscious about this, and even if a Burberry scarf doesn't stand out objectively, she may feel like she's losing touch with her roots, or trying to be something she's not. Third, if we're worried about impressing people, I'd rather impress the people who know what a nice scarf looks like--and that it doesn't need to have a Burberry tartan to be luxurious. For those reasons, I actually think that the non-Burberry scarf is the best gift, irrespective of price. A non-Burberry wallet could be nice, as well.

Most importantly, from a totally practical "will she like it?" standpoint, she probably doesn't attach much importance to brand names. If you sell a scarf as a symbol of your desire to keep her nicely warm, she'll love it, even if it doesn't impress the campus label whores.

And then you can wrap an ipod in it. Ipods are great gifts.

5. Matt

Matt Well-Known Member

I always liked experiential gifts for gfs....weekends away, swimming with dolphins, tandem skydives, bungee jumps etc

6. gamelan

gamelan Well-Known Member

i vote for iPod. if she's into music and will be comfortable using it (filling it up with songs, having to do a cold reboot of it when it hiccups, etc.), she'll love it.

i try to stay away from clothing for women because their tastes are so fickle. the only exception is utilitarian clothing (like for the most part you can't go wrong with a North Face fleece jacket if you know you'll be spending a weekend in the mountains type thing).

another option is a digital camera. a few years back i bought a Coach Canon Elph for my sister and she loved it. it was $350 i believe so not too far off the mark. anyway, just another suggestion for you.

best of luck!

-Jeff

7. Ivan Kipling

Ivan Kipling Well-Known Member

aspriel, you're very generous. A lovely scarf is a charming present. So is an elegant, classic fragrance. Your girlfriend has not begun really to put a serious wardrobe, together. Most women, never have the chance. So there's a possibility that a status scarf will stay put and not be used, unless your girlfriend has something to wear that she feels won't be overwhelmed, by the scarf. That's natural and understandable: an expression of taste, and deportment.
    Go ahead and get her the scarf, if you wish . . . but you may have to 'add' to that scarf, in order to get an outfit together that will showcase your present in an appropriate fashion. That could run into quite a bit of money. Be cautious.
    need recommendations, on fragrance? Send me a private message. I'll be happy to help.

8. stach

stach Well-Known Member

but it's not enough. Maybe with a pair of gloves?

9. Ivan Kipling

Ivan Kipling Well-Known Member

. . . perhaps a hat, would even be better.

10. ratboycom

ratboycom Well-Known Member

if you want to go with the Ipod/Scarf Idea and save a few bucks buy her a nice Cashmere scarf from BlueFly.com then get her a Toshiba Gigabeat (its the same damn thing as an Ipod under the skin, infact Toshiba builds the Ipod for Apple. The gigabeat is considerably cheaper)

11. acidboy

acidboy Well-Known Member

12. Tiranis

Tiranis Well-Known Member

if you want to go with the Ipod/Scarf Idea and save a few bucks buy her a nice Cashmere scarf from BlueFly.com then get her a Toshiba Gigabeat (its the same damn thing as an Ipod under the skin, infact Toshiba builds the Ipod for Apple. The gigabeat is considerably cheaper)

The iPod is one thing where you don't want to try and buy something cheaper. Not that I'm saying the Toshiba is worse, I haven't even seen it"”I'm fine with my Apple+iPod experience"”but what I'm saying is, to normal person mp3 player = iPod. Buying her anything else could very well look pretty stupid and upset her.

13. aspriel

aspriel Well-Known Member

If I were to go the iPod route, Tiranis is right here.

14. ratboycom

ratboycom Well-Known Member

The iPod is one thing where you don't want to try and buy something cheaper. Not that I'm saying the Toshiba is worse, I haven't even seen it—I'm fine with my Apple+iPod experience—but what I'm saying is, to normal person mp3 player = iPod. Buying her anything else could very well look pretty stupid and upset her.
    You must not have read my post right. IPOD IS MADE BY TOSHIBA! With a different skin of course. The fucking Ipod is nothing but a fashion accessory to most (which explains why half of my college campus wears those shit white ear buds). Gigabeat has a Very Similar look and feel as the Ipod, the case is close match too. I say fuck what everyone else thinks, isnt this site about being above/way forward of the trend? Arent we here because we are the Trendsetters not the followers? Take for instance the whole raw indigo denim thing, when I first came here I had hardly heard of such a thing being cool. Now everyone is selling Dark Indigo undistressed denim. But that is just one man's (firey) opinion If anyone needs me I am going to be in the "Angry Dome"

15. apyang

apyang New Member

Toshiba does NOT make the iPod - they make the hard drive. The iPod is manufactured by various firms in Taiwan and China.

16. Tiranis

Tiranis Well-Known Member

Toshiba does NOT make the iPod - they make the hard drive. The iPod is manufactured by various firms in Taiwan and China.

Yeah, this man knows his shit, unlike someone. (Also do you really think that Toshiba designs the thing, writes the software, creates the interface, etc.?)

Besides this is not about being trendy, he's getting a present for his g/f. She's not out there to set trends and it's most probable that for her mp3 player = iPod, therefore buying her anything else WILL most likely upset her. Besides, there's the iTS store when you buy an iPod, which is also a great thing.

And I'm not saying you shouldn't buy yourself a Toshiba, but getting it for someone else is a totally different story, especially when it's your girlfriend.

17. Bandwagonesque

Bandwagonesque Well-Known Member

This scarf is totally, totally, totally her (and $100 less than I thought):
    [​IMG]

That scarf kicks ass... and if my gf didn't wear it, I'd wear it myself. Much better than the standard Burberry scarf we all know and loathe.

18. Edward Appleby

Edward Appleby Well-Known Member

I think it'd be cool to get her an Ipod and preload some music on it- stuff you know she likes, or even better albums that have some significance to both of you together.

19. Bandwagonesque

Bandwagonesque Well-Known Member

You must not have read my post right. IPOD IS MADE BY TOSHIBA! With a different skin of course. The fucking Ipod is nothing but a fashion accessory to most (which explains why half of my college campus wears those shit white ear buds). Gigabeat has a Very Similar look and feel as the Ipod, the case is close match too.

I keep the white earbuds for travelling around. When I don't use my iPod, I usually just chuck it in my bag. I'm not about to upgrade to $150 in-ear headphones and risk having the wiring fail because I put it in my messenger bag and it got knocked around. If these break, I'm out what... $10? And when I'm travelling, I usually keep my volume down low enough that I can be aware of my surroundings. Having your headphones at such a volume you can't hear when somebody asks you a question, or is yelling at you is rude IMO. So really, I don't give a fart about flabby bass, or hissy highs.

Let people think I'm part of the herd. [​IMG] What they don't know is that all my music is legally paid for (and not that iTunes digital download crap), and my taste in music is superior to their latest top 40 club hits, out of tune indie wankery, or screamo shite.

When I bring my iPod to the office, then I bust out the big Grado cans. [​IMG]

20. gamelan

gamelan Well-Known Member

I keep the white earbuds for travelling around. When I don't use my iPod, I usually just chuck it in my bag. I'm not about to upgrade to $150 in-ear headphones and risk having the wiring fail because I put it in my messenger bag and it got knocked around. If these break, I'm out what... $10? And when I'm travelling, I usually keep my volume down low enough that I can be aware of my surroundings. Having your headphones at such a volume you can't hear when somebody asks you a question, or is yelling at you is rude IMO. So really, I don't give a fart about flabby bass, or hissy highs.

Let people think I'm part of the herd. [​IMG] What they don't know is that all my music is legally paid for (and not that iTunes digital download crap), and my taste in music is superior to their latest top 40 club hits, out of tune indie wankery, or screamo shite.

When I bring my iPod to the office, then I bust out the big Grado cans. [​IMG]

that's either a Ride or Chapterhouse album cover?

-Jeff