• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

FYI: Divorce sux

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dtmt
Not sure if this exists in Canada, but in our lovely country a woman can still financially ruin you after simply living together for a few years due to what's known as common law marriage.

Here in the US, it depends on the State.

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This thread is infinitely more depressing if you hadn't read it before and chose to go back to the beginning before reading the most recent posts.

BP348

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dtmt
Not sure if this exists in Canada, but in our lovely country a woman can still financially ruin you after simply living together for a few years due to what's known as common law marriage.

There is a lot more to it then just living together.

rexthedestroyer

Reaction score
Dang Mark! I read this whole thread, and it sucks seeing your highs and lows in this divorce process. Good luck to you, and remember, Karma is a *****.

For those of us who are scared of the prospects of losing our **** through divorce, why don't you marry women who have a greater income than you? Well, for the time being males are still leading in income, but I figure that in 10 years this paradigm will be reversed. Women have surpased men in almost every education category, so I figure this will lead to women out performing men in the workforce. At that point, it will be women worried about protecting their assets. Then again, the laws might be changed to one's that are more equitable.

Lighthouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Getting married is about a woman's hopes and expectations of living in a castle with Prince Charming fitting her feet with glass slippers.

Getting divorced is about hard cash, like dickering on a used car lot.

deadly7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rexthedestroyer
Dang Mark! I read this whole thread, and it sucks seeing your highs and lows in this divorce process. Good luck to you, and remember, Karma is a *****.

For those of us who are scared of the prospects of losing our **** through divorce, why don't you marry women who have a greater income than you? Well, for the time being males are still leading in income, but I figure that in 10 years this paradigm will be reversed. Women have surpased men in almost every education category, so I figure this will lead to women out performing men in the workforce. At that point, it will be women worried about protecting their assets. Then again, the laws might be changed to one's that are more equitable.

More women in college != more women in useful, practical majors in college.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Common law marriage doesn't just happen if you live together. You both have to agree you are married and declare yourselves husband and wife. It's not like your live-in girlfriend can get uppity one day and say "tricked ya *****, gimme all your assets!"

Reevolving

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by APK
This thread is infinitely more depressing if you hadn't read it before and chose to go back to the beginning before reading the most recent posts.

I don't get it. The words "infinitely more depressing" seems completely overblown. The OP Mark has barely typed 5 sentences in this thread. Are we even reading the same thing? The guy starts saying he anticipates an easy divorce. Then he likes being single. Then he complains about money, I think? Big deal. I am yawning.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
You wonder why you are still a virgin.
laugh.gif

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shoot, sorry to hear that this is dragging out so long and poorly. I seem to remember that it started out as well as can be expected for a divorce.
Here's hoping for better times ahead.

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reevolving
I don't get it. The words "infinitely more depressing" seems completely overblown. The OP Mark has barely typed 5 sentences in this thread. Are we even reading the same thing? The guy starts saying he anticipates an easy divorce. Then he likes being single. Then he complains about money, I think? Big deal. I am yawning.

Because there's a dramatic shift from "we've agreed to stay on good terms for the sake of the kids" to "my wife is trying to bleed me dry." If you were to pop in on the thread starting with the bump post, you'd think, "Oh hey, women get nasty when it comes to divorce, big surprise." But if you start at the beginning, it's a downer to see how even the "friendly" divorces wind up getting mean-spirited.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by APK
+1

Originally Posted by Reevolving

Well, the guy was anticipating an easy divorce.

And now his ex is taking him to court trying to get his money, despite earning twice what he does. If she wanted his money for ****, couldn't they have just agreed on it before hand without having to use lawyers and ****?

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mark from Plano
Sadly for me, she is her lawyer...therefore no legal fees for her, just me if I decide to fight things. FML.
ffffuuuu.gif

And to think, I helped financed the startup of her practice and was her biggest source of clients.

Mark, if she is handling her own divorce, she will look like an ass if you actually take her to court. You are an attorney as well,no? You should realize you can not take on a case you are personally emotionally involved with and be successful generally.
OTOH, I would suppose you are trying to avoid actual litigation if possible.
Spoken as one divorced (and happily remarried lawyer) to a separated one. And yes divorce sux. Best of luck to you.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads