• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

FYI: Divorce sux

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
We have a friend who joked about how easy the divorce was after marriages one, two, & three. Yes, they were relatively easy ... each of his wives was independently wealthy prior to marrying him. However, #4 wasn't from a similar background ... and now he's not joking anymore as she rakes him over the coals and sends him to the cleaners.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^^^ We had an amusing moment when we were talking to Ex #3 on the phone. It depends upon the fact that our dog shares the same name with our friend, her former husband. For the purpose of this post … lets just say his name is Rover.

As I was talking to Ex#3 ... I made the comment that Rover was in the car with us … so I sought to clear the air … "Rover the dog," I explained. She retorted, “Oh, that really clarifies things.”

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some witty friends you've got there...

Benzito

Reaction score
Originally Posted by countdemoney
Several sstudies back up the idea that more women file, with women initiating from 65% to 90% depending on sources.

In your experience, were any of the male initiated filings the result of clear cut behaviour by the women? Or was it about even?

By this I mean that in all the instances in my peer group where I have direct knowledge, the woman committed infidelity in the relationship and then told the man about it, in part to either initiate the divorce on his side or ensure that he would see it through when she asked for it.

What many forget, including various "social science" studies (i.e., non-legal studies), is that in many jurisdictions outside of the Southeast US, fault is no longer a requirement nor a consideration for a divorce. It doesn't matter who "caused" the divorce, because it is simply about finances. There is no benefit or detriment to "filing first," so it is largely an irrelevant statistic.

As to the notion that the woman starts the process more often, I hear an equal number of guys saying they filed (the husbands) after they (the husbands) cheated because their girlfriends are better cooks and women saying they (the wives) filed because their husbands cheated because their girlfriends are better cooks. In other words, who knows and who cares if the clothes weren't washed or he had a drinking problem or she is bad in bed or he has pimples on his ass.

Plenty of abusive dirt bags still get 50% of the property and a reasonable support obligation and plenty of sympathetic, attractive, and friendly wives still end up getting . . . 50% of the property and a reasonable support award. Custody of the children still leans heavily towards mothers for a variety of reasons.

Bokeh

Reaction score
Gratz on your divorce OP. it will be rough for a bit, but you will eventually be thankful.

To many women now-a-days it seems that marriage is an investment vehicle, with the payoff being divorce. a byproduct of our current litigious society.

divorce wasn't really the depressing issue for me. it was the ongoing child-support I have to pay, and the
ffffuuuu.gif
non-existant rights us fathers have. equal rights my
censored.gif

it's all about money it seems..

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
Originally Posted by countdemoney
Several sstudies back up the idea that more women file, with women initiating from 65% to 90% depending on sources.

Is there a stronger correlation between women or the less wealthy spouse filing?

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ataturk
Who files doesn't really indicate who's initiated the divorce, but, yeah, I've always heard (and it's been my experience that) women initiate a significant majority of divorces.

That's not exactly the same thing as saying who is responsible for the end of the marriage, as women are often given legitimate reasons to want to end the marriage even if the husband doesn't to.

Yes, something like 70% of all divorces are filed by women.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by stylesmurf
Sorry, sir. It's not divorce that sucks. It's marriage

biggrin.gif

worship.gif

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by willpower
You'll do great. Your attitude sounds good. Stay close with your family and friends.

Ten years after divorcing I'm still not the same. I took it really badly, spent years not dating anyone, also distanced myself from my friends and even my family. I feel like I've spent the last decade in a nightmarish haze.

The best way to recover is to get your life back!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads