• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fur and leather from endangered species

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by unagiluva
Killing any animal only for its hide is probably wrong, whether endangered or not.

Why? I am assuming you are admitting that it is morally licit to kill an animal for food, although people can thrive very well without eating animals, yet it is somehow wrong to kill an animal merely for its hide.

If it is acceptable to kill an animal for food, why is it unacceptable to kill an animal for clothing--another basic human need?

extempore

Reaction score
I'm confused by this thread. OP asks about whether wearing endangered animal hide is wrong, then moves to state that its unethical to wear animal hide from creatures that are not used for food/died of natural causes, THEN moves to say that its unethical to wear animal hide of the animals HE doesn't like to eat. THEN he chastises people for not addressing the original topic.
Bingo.

unagiluva

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
Why? I am assuming you are admitting that it is morally licit to kill an animal for food, although people can thrive very well without eating animals, yet it is somehow wrong to kill an animal merely for its hide. If it is acceptable to kill an animal for food, why is it unacceptable to kill an animal for clothing--another basic human need?
Ya that was probably in haste. I don't think there is a clear line either way. Some animals I feel alright killing just because (fly), and some that i'd wouldn't kill for either hide or food (human lol). Everything else is in between, but its a sliding scale. I don't buy the "killing animal for warmth = satisfying a basic human need" argument because there are alternatives that work better, are cheaper, and are more readily available. We use animal skin primarily for luxury. Not only does meat taste better, but it provides certain nutrients that are hard to get elsewhere. Plus they taste so damn good.

PocketCircle

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm confused by this thread. OP asks about whether wearing endangered animal hide is wrong, then moves to state that its unethical to wear animal hide from creatures that are not used for food/died of natural causes, THEN moves to say that its unethical to wear animal hide of the animals HE doesn't like to eat. THEN he chastises people for not addressing the original topic.

Killing any animal only for its hide is probably wrong, whether endangered or not.

fur items and items made using leather from endangered species

read better

PocketCircle

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

read better

dsmolken

Reaction score
I don't buy the "killing animal for warmth = satisfying a basic human need" argument because there are alternatives that work better, are cheaper, and are more readily available.
Not for shoes or fur felt hats. Not yet, anyway.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
You make a compelling and well-documented case.

My main objection to stopping eating is that it seems inevitable that I would have to stop defecating.

There are some pleasures that I refuse to give up.

- B

I have to admit I occasionally indulge in roadkill and brown dessicated plants as this seems morally justifiable.
teacha.gif

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Today I wore a pair of black ponyhair shoes. Someone complimented me, and I said:

"Thank you. They're made out of real human hair; I killed them myself."

---An appropriate pause, and chuckle from the individual---

"They're made out of genuine negroes."

unagiluva

Reaction score
Originally Posted by PocketCircle

read better

I don't see how adding "and fur" will change the validity of my post.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
Today I wore a pair of black ponyhair shoes. Someone complimented me, and I said:

"Thank you. They're made out of real human hair; I killed them myself."

---An appropriate pause, and chuckle from the individual---

"They're made out of genuine negroes."

ohhh you

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Some animals deserve it, some don't. If you have met any animals, you will know what I mean.

Is there a term for a person who refuses to eat plants in their diet? You know, having a philosphy that animals, since they are literally animated, exercise a moral choice, while plants do not. Plants, being more innocent, should therefore be held sacred like cows in Mumbai.

Leaving only animals to eat.

Who's with me? Atkins by choice, Atkins by moral necessity.

- B

Meatatarian
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads