• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Front squats: Worth the pain?

Philosoph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree that squats and deadlifts should be done by more people.

You seem to be referring to the claim that when squatting, your knees shouldn't go past your toes, which is incorrect. Whether or not your knees go past your toes is determined by individual biomechanics. Just concentrate on good form. Also, if you're looking at either your knees or your toes, your form is probably already off. Eyes straight ahead.

crease

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Philosoph
I agree that squats and deadlifts should be done by more people.

You seem to be referring to the claim that when squatting, your knees shouldn't go past your toes, which is incorrect. Whether or not your knees go past your toes is determined by individual biomechanics. Just concentrate on good form. Also, if you're looking at either your knees or your toes, your form is probably already off. Eyes straight ahead.

When you practice your form, it's totally legit to look at a mirror from several angles.
Dropping your knees past your toes is actually difficult to do, but a mistake most beginners make regardless of their biomechanics. If you don't keep your knees and hips back, it's a lot harder to drive your heels into the ground. And more importantly, you won't be able to stretch your hamstrings as effectively.

Philosoph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wasn't thinking of mirrors.

As for form, I would think that trying to keep the knees and hips back is exactly what most beginners do wrong. This turns the move into a Good Morning, which is not the best thing for your back when you're squatting. The hips should drop down between the legs, not be pushed back like you're deadlifting.

hahnb

Reaction score
Originally Posted by smw356
I don't know of a single person with half a brain cell that would use straps for squats. It is a terrible idea, would give you next to no benefit for the risk.
You have no idea what I'm talking about, so why don't you do some googling before you continue this... Edit:
061004_frontsquatstraps.jpg
Nevermind, I'll help you out

smw356

Reaction score
I know exactly what you are talking about, I see no benefit vs the risk of having reduced control of the bar.

hahnb

Reaction score
Originally Posted by smw356
I know exactly what you are talking about, I see no benefit vs the risk of having reduced control of the bar.

The entire point of the straps is to have better control over the bar.

Philosoph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got it. And yes, you can use straps to do that, but I see no reason you should when you can get the same control using just your hands.

smw356

Reaction score
Originally Posted by hahnb

Eh I guess if it gives you more control more power to you, I know it would definitely give me less control.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
yeah straps for something like that... you'd be better off not trying to do the exercise

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wasn't thinking of mirrors.

As for form, I would think that trying to keep the knees and hips back is exactly what most beginners do wrong. This turns the move into a Good Morning, which is not the best thing for your back when you're squatting. The hips should drop down between the legs, not be pushed back like you're deadlifting.

It only turns into a Good Morning if the knees don't bend.

Hips should be back always. If the hips aren't back, they aren't extended and as such the hip extensors cannot do any work.

englanderjk

Reaction score
Originally Posted by javyn
I only use (have) dumbells, so I only do front squats. I love them. For the back I stick with deadlifts. Any real reason to back squat when you deadlift?
Core groups stimulated in backsquats ≠ core group stimulated with deadlifts.

englanderjk

Reaction score
Originally Posted by hahnb
Straps for pull ups / chins, rows,...perhaps,...but front squats??? They used to be a regular part of my routine and witnessed many others performing over the years. I've never seen anyone use straps on this exercise.

Philosoph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
It only turns into a Good Morning if the knees don't bend. Hips should be back always. If the hips aren't back, they aren't extended and as such the hip extensors cannot do any work.
I suppose this is true if you're doing more of a powerlifting-style squat. Mine are more Olympic, so my torso is more vertical, and i don't sit back into the squat position. The hip extensors only do work when the hips are flexed. If they're extended, the extensors have already done work and are just isometrically contracting. Also, don't try sitting your hips back when doing front squats. You'll either drop the weight or tear up your wrists.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I suppose this is true if you're doing more of a powerlifting-style squat. Mine are more Olympic, so my torso is more vertical, and i don't sit back into the squat position.

The hip extensors only do work when the hips are flexed. If they're extended, the extensors have already done work and are just isometrically contracting.

Also, don't try sitting your hips back when doing front squats. You'll either drop the weight or tear up your wrists.

Bah, you know what I meant. :/

Oly squats are pretty much all front squats.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
These are very good.

Squat Rx #1: Lower Back Rounding at the Bottom of the Squat

Squat Rx #2: GMing Out of the Hole

Squat Rx #3: Engaging the Glutes and Hamstrings (Part I)

Squat Rx #3: Engaging the Glutes and Hamstrings (Part II)

Squat Rx #4: Bar Positioning and Squat Depth

Squat Rx #5: Hip & Hamstring Mobility and Flexibility
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKnpmQNhc3w

lefty

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads