• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Front squats: Worth the pain?

smw356

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pauliodotnet
aint that the truth.

try doing 50 95lb OH squats for time

:dead:

I tabata'd OH squats once with 75 lbs, I will never ever ever ever make that mistake again.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by smw356
I tabata'd OH squats once with 75 lbs, I will never ever ever ever make that mistake again.

You don't like it, the thruster?

hahnb

Reaction score
Front squats = awesome. I do them with straps around the bar, it really helps with holding the bar properly.

smw356

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whacked
You don't like it, the thruster?
I dunno there's just something that I lack mobility wise or my femur's are too long or something that just kills my balance when I hit parallel with OH squats, I've seriously never ever felt like complete **** for days after doing any workout before like I did after that one. and aren't thrusters front squats to push-presses, I don't have any problem with those.

smw356

Reaction score
Originally Posted by hahnb
Front squats = awesome. I do them with straps around the bar, it really helps with holding the bar properly.

If you actually strap yourself in you just qualified yourself for entry into the first rounds of this years Darwin Open.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I dunno there's just something that I lack mobility wise or my femur's are too long or something that just kills my balance when I hit parallel with OH squats, I've seriously never ever felt like complete **** for days after doing any workout before like I did after that one.

and aren't thrusters front squats to push-presses, I don't have any problem with those.

Yeah, that's what I referred to. Weird, for the techniques should be identical. One can even do thrusters exactly like DB front squats.

smw356

Reaction score
Well my problem with OH squats is descending to/past parallel without feeling like I'm going to ditch the bar behind me. Going up is not a problem, neither is catching it for a snatch, though I don't catch super deep either.

Philosoph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ I know what you mean. I've actually been doing split snatches because I don't feel really stable in the catch position of the squat snatch. My best guess is that it's a lack of ankle mobility that's holding me back. Maybe I should get around to buying some lifting shoes.

hahnb

Reaction score
If you actually strap yourself in you just qualified yourself for entry into the first rounds of this years Darwin Open.
Apparently you aren't familiar with what are commonly referred to as straps, and apparently you aren't very familiar with front squats either. I don't know a single person who frequents a gym (that actually squats) that doesn't know how to do front squats with straps. Perhaps I could draw a picture of it for you, in crayon of course.

smw356

Reaction score
I don't know of a single person with half a brain cell that would use straps for squats. It is a terrible idea, would give you next to no benefit for the risk.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hahnb
Apparently you aren't familiar with what are commonly referred to as straps, and apparently you aren't very familiar with front squats either. I don't know a single person who frequents a gym (that actually squats) that doesn't know how to do front squats with straps. Perhaps I could draw a picture of it for you, in crayon of course.

Using straps as your suggesting is a waste of effort and overly complicating a simple exercise.

But I imagine it looks badass.

lefty

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't know of a single person with half a brain cell that would use straps for squats. It is a terrible idea, would give you next to no benefit for the risk.

I believe what he's talking about is looping the strap around the bar and holding the end some 10-12 cm above the bar. It would be used by those lacking flexibility.

Most guys I know just put the bar on their shoulders and squat.

lefty

crease

Reaction score
Squats -- and deadlifts -- should be a core exercise for anyone who seriously works out.

When you drop your hips down, make sure your knees NEVER prevent you from being able to see your toes. Doing this will immediately improve your squat posture and hopefully help you get a great workout.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads