• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Front squats: Worth the pain?

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Philosoph
This is too ridiculous not to post somewhere:
DO NOT SQUAT LIKE THIS GUY

Well to be honest, backsquatting 1,000lbs with ****** technique is way more impressive than backsquatting 500lbs with perfect technique. Assuming everything else is equal of course, which is often not the case.
laugh.gif

nextlevel

Reaction score
try crossing your arms over each other and hold your shoulders... that and the grip you are trying are the only grips people use for front squats. people tend to like one over the other.

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lefty
Approach the bar in the rack with your arms extended in front of you.
Set the bar on your shoulders across your clavicle.
Raise your arms slightly so that they're above parallel, say about 10-15 degrees.
Unrack the bar. If it doesn't move forward, that's the right position.
Squat, keeping your arms extended.

This guy has one finger loosely touching the bar. He's FSing 500 for reps.

That's a good suggestion. I think I'll try the arms-extended method next. It makes me nervous, though, to have a lot of weight on or around my clavicle. Just watching that video clip made me think mine was about to snap like a twig.

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nextlevel
try crossing your arms over each other and hold your shoulders...
I can't picture what you're describing here. Got an image you can attach?

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Threadbearer
That's a good suggestion. I think I'll try the arms-extended method next. It makes me nervous, though, to have a lot of weight on or around my clavicle. Just watching that video clip made me think mine was about to snap like a twig.

After a while you'll find that you'll be able to control the position of the bar simply by raising or lowering your arms. Once you find the best bar position for yourself in terms of comfort and balance, you can then work on bringing your hands back and under the bar in the clean position.

If you're too inflexible, start with the forefinger and work from there. You'll get the entire hand on in no time.

You can also just work the clean position by racking and unracking a loaded bar. Weight helps here, but it's better to try that after your squats as you'll blow your hands and wrists out pretty quickly.

Good luck,

lefty

Philosoph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whacked
Well to be honest, backsquatting 1,000lbs with ****** technique is way more impressive than backsquatting 500lbs with perfect technique. Assuming everything else is equal of course, which is often not the case.
laugh.gif

True. But as someone said in the comments on the video, this may be a feat of strength, but it's definitely not a squat. The demonic swaying alone was pretty weird.

Go to google, search for Zercher Squat.

gvibes

Reaction score
Something like this maybe? Arms are crossed, at least. Here too, maybe: Not sure exactly what he meant.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
A zercher squat is different than a crossed arm front squat.

This is a crossed arm FS:

frontsquat.jpg

The bar rests on the shoulders.

This is a zercher squat:

zs.jpg

The bar rests in the crook of the arms.

lefty

Philosoph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Huh. I could have sworn that I'd seen the arms-crossed FS captioned as a Zercher squat. My bad.

beasty

Reaction score
Originally Posted by smw356
Holding the bar across your clavicles is not going to kill you.

Hmm. Lets see. A solid steel bar with weights totalling 300 kg pressed against your larynx. In an extreme situation, the thing falls infront of you. If not, it falls on top of you landing on your throat. Yup. Not extreme at all.

beasty

Reaction score
Tried it with arms in front last nite.
When squatting down, could feel the damn bar dropping on the floor.
So decided to scrap front squats again.

Actually a better option will be smith or universal bar lunges.
If it can work for Ronnie and Jay, it will work for everybody.

smw356

Reaction score
Originally Posted by beasty
Hmm. Lets see. A solid steel bar with weights totalling 300 kg pressed against your larynx. In an extreme situation, the thing falls infront of you. If not, it falls on top of you landing on your throat. Yup. Not extreme at all.

If it falls its going to fall in front of you (and if you hold the bar right this wont happen unless you want it to), not fall up you and crush your neck, and you aren't front squatting 300 kg.

beasty

Reaction score
Originally Posted by smw356
If it falls its going to fall in front of you (and if you hold the bar right this wont happen unless you want it to), not fall up you and crush your neck, and you aren't front squatting 300 kg.

I meant to say 300 lb although I am sure Ronnie can do 300 kg.
Anyway the way the bar is held, I think its a high possibility the bar would drop.
I could feel it slipping when I did my front squats and when squatting down.

Philosoph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you want to learn front squats, you're going to have to drop the weights a bit to get the form down and increase your wrist flexibility. It's really not that hard to hold the bar in your hands across your clavicle, it just takes some practice and time to increase flexibility. But once you've got it, the bar is not going to drop, and if it feels like it is, it means your back is rounding as you near the bottom.

beasty

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Philosoph
If you want to learn front squats, you're going to have to drop the weights a bit to get the form down and increase your wrist flexibility. It's really not that hard to hold the bar in your hands across your clavicle, it just takes some practice and time to increase flexibility. But once you've got it, the bar is not going to drop, and if it feels like it is, it means your back is rounding as you near the bottom.

Dude, the bar was unloaded and the bar was not even the standard universal bar. Think for a proper quad workout, I will stick to incline legs, squats and leg curls and if I got anything left, lunges. Front squats are too difficult for me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads