• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Favorite soap?

Shorty Long

Reaction score
here you go...
http://www.frenchsoaps.com/

Originally Posted by tangerine
Nope. Finally made it to the store. They were out of the stamped blocks that I like, but the owner knew what I was talking about; it is the soap javyn likes:

Savon de Marseille. And what I was buying were the 600g blocks. The web site only shows the green olive oil one, but they also had orange and lavender scented ones not long ago.

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by esquire.
They're now $14 for three bars. Are they still worth buying at this price?

I picked up some of the Baxter Italian lime bars. It seems pretty good thus-far. Wondering how long the bars last for?

X-It

Reaction score
Traditional Castile Natural Soap

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the baxter looks like it will last about 2 weeks...which isn't a bad thing i suppose to have a fresh bar every 2 weeks. i prefer the caswell massey over baxter still.

Maharlika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Portos and those wonderful black soaps from La Toja in Spain.

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought a Dial Body Wash which was Vanilla and Honey smell, it smells nice.

Has anyone ever used the Penhaligon's bar soaps?

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I buy the big oval blocks at Aveda whenever I am getting me hair cut. They smell great, and leave my skin feeling silky smooth..
tounge.gif

swiego

Reaction score
I am surprised everyone can name a favorite. I tend to oscillate between several choices.

I like Neutrogena Rain Bath body soap. It smells good, cleans well (though one must use a lot of it) and it's generally well received by visiting parents and sister, friends, and girlfriend. In the shower, I keep a large tub of it that is available from Costco.

Also at Costco: Kirkland's bar soap. Triple milled, inexpensive, good scent, amazing lather, leaves me squeaky clean, and doesn't dry me out. What more could one ask for? For me, this is one unsung hero of bar soaps.

Someone mentioned Lush. When I want to dry myself out, Fresh Farmacy and Coal Face are unparalleled. I also enjoy the scents of each, although neither is something I can use over an extended stretch of time.

I like Yardley bar soaps, especially the lavender scent.

Dove and Lever 2000 also get use from time to time, when I need soap and the supermarket is the only place I can get to at the moment.

June

Reaction score
I'm a big fan of Dove body washes particularly the "Energize" and "Cool Moisture" ones.

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by swiego
I am surprised everyone can name a favorite. I tend to oscillate between several choices.

I like Neutrogena Rain Bath body soap. It smells good, cleans well (though one must use a lot of it) and it's generally well received by visiting parents and sister, friends, and girlfriend. In the shower, I keep a large tub of it that is available from Costco.

Also at Costco: Kirkland's bar soap. Triple milled, inexpensive, good scent, amazing lather, leaves me squeaky clean, and doesn't dry me out. What more could one ask for? For me, this is one unsung hero of bar soaps.

Someone mentioned Lush. When I want to dry myself out, Fresh Farmacy and Coal Face are unparalleled. I also enjoy the scents of each, although neither is something I can use over an extended stretch of time.

I like Yardley bar soaps, especially the lavender scent.

Dove and Lever 2000 also get use from time to time, when I need soap and the supermarket is the only place I can get to at the moment.

The Kirkland doesn't smell like their Body Wash, does it? Hate that smell...bought a big pump of it, ended up giving it to my parents about 1/2 through the bottle.

swiego

Reaction score
Not at all. I tried the Kirkland bodywash, I did not like it much either.

I'm not sure how to describe what their soap ("premium french triple-milled soap") smells like, but I do think it smells good. I would not call it my favorite scent, but it certainly is among my favorite soaps as far as quality is concerned. I've even shaved with it. I've enjoyed having it handy in the closet for when I've run out more fragrant, premium soaps.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
These days I use the cheap Mexican "Grisi" soaps from the dollar stores/Mexican grocery stores. Eventually Savon de Marseilles ended up being too drying for me too, so I figured what's the point of paying so much extra then. Doesn't really matter what those of us with dry skin use, we seem to be screwed no matter what
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads