• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

rydenfan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The Doyle has landed in NYC! For any of you guys that are around and want to check it out, we have it in both stores.

I couldn't help myself and grabbed the olive immediately (also pictured is the selvedge denim Western shirt):

And Logan pulling off that 90s-heartthrob-casual:

Epaulet LA Selvedge Denim Engineer shirt
Epaulet NY Fatigue Canvas Rivet Chino
Alden Snuff Suede Chukka boot.
I am even more excited for my Doyle to arrive! Hoping it ships out today. I have quite broad should so hoping it will work for me, I really want it to!!

Don L

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Quote:I am even more excited for my Doyle to arrive! Hoping it ships out today. I have quite broad should so hoping it will work for me, I really want it to!!
Got mine monday. I also have broad shoulders. Fit is good there. A bit snug in the chest but it gives nicely. You will love it

Last edited:

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Fairly broad shoulders here too and a 40 is feeling pretty good after two days of wear. Hope it works out for you@rydenfan.

Doyle does look good on @leftofthedial, though. Matt: What's your impression of the Doyle, compared to the jacket of yours (right?) that was the inspiration? I assume everything came out as expected? I'd be interested to see a photo of the inspiration jacket to compare to the one of you in the Doyle, if that's possible.

One thing I find interesting and appealing about the Doyle is the lack of any cuff or even any buttons on the sleeve for a nonfunctional cuff. I think that keeps it really clean and it means I'm not resting my arms on buttons on my desk when I wear it. A nice difference from a more formal jacket.

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Black

Khaki/Caramel?

Black's a good call - especially a worn-in vintage black

I am even more excited for my Doyle to arrive! Hoping it ships out today. I have quite broad should so hoping it will work for me, I really want it to!!

Packed it up myself today :). Enjoy it!

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A white or natural linen trousers would be one of the things I'm looking forward to.

Weather has been warm lately....Epaulet trousers and loafers:

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Asbury Jean Jacket

Thanks so much for the orders guys - I shipped out quite a few of these today. Here's the formal presentation along with some studio shots. We're very keen to hear your feedback after you receive it!

The Asbury is our take on the classic "jean jacket." Our aim was to preserve all of the traditional details, optimize the fit, add utility with functional pockets, and use the finest denim and most meticulous construction. We wanted to create the best jean jacket that you have ever worn, and we're confident that this piece will exceed your expectations.

Like all Epaulet garments, the Asbury has our signature slim fit and runs consistent with our in-house shirting. It has side hand pockets, closed and functional interior pockets, genuine brass tack buttons, and waist tab adjusters. .

This jacket is made of special edition Cone Mills 1968 selvedge denim. Woven in Greensboro, NC, the "68" is prized for its vintage mid-dark indigo tone and its excellent fades. The jacket's pattern sets the selvedge stripe to run up the inside of the placket - which makes for a very cool and subtle visible detail underneath the collar. Its been washed with a single warm rinse to remove shrinkage and give a correct initial fit. Over time you'll be able to achieve an incredible fade.

EPLA Asbury Denim Jacket Rinsed Cone 1968 Selvedge: $165

In order to achieve this look, the jacket is first run through two separate enzyme washes. While still wet, our good friend - the undisputed "California King of Fades" - lightly sands each piece individually for an authentically worn-in look. It's then run through a third wash to set the final color. This item is fully pre-shrunk and machine washable.

EPLA Asbury Denim Jacket Hand-Distressed Cone 1968 Selvedge: $185

BootSpell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wearing my grey Wilshires for the first time today. The fit is superb. They are now my favorites, supplanting the indigo Wilshires...

leftofthedial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fairly broad shoulders here too and a 40 is feeling pretty good after two days of wear. Hope it works out for you@rydenfan .

Doyle does look good on @leftofthedial , though. Matt: What's your impression of the Doyle, compared to the jacket of yours (right?) that was the inspiration? I assume everything came out as expected? I'd be interested to see a photo of the inspiration jacket to compare to the one of you in the Doyle, if that's possible.

One thing I find interesting and appealing about the Doyle is the lack of any cuff or even any buttons on the sleeve for a nonfunctional cuff. I think that keeps it really clean and it means I'm not resting my arms on buttons on my desk when I wear it. A nice difference from a more formal jacket.

I'm glad you're digging it! I was hoping you'd fall in love with the piece.

The original jacket that inspired the Doyle was a 60s French work jacket I found at a flea market in early 2013. Unfortunately that one was destroyed; however, quickly replaced. The one below is my favorite I've found. It's one of the older, I would say late 50s, moleskin versions that's been worn like hell.

As much as I enjoy sportcoats, suits, trousers and the like, I always come back to a good pair of selvedge jeans, a button-down and boots. I've never had that type or jacket that I literally wanted to wear with anything and everything, not to mention every single day.

When I put the vintage work jacket on, it felt so right that I never wanted to take it off. It was that perfect piece I had always hunted for. And was everything the countless chore jackets I've bought and gotten rid of could never be.

At this point I own four vintage models, a weirdo corduroy one from a 90s Japanese streetwear brand and a couple of other jackets much in the same vein, so you can say the shape has become a huge part of my wardrobe.

The problem with vintage pieces is the fit. They're legitimate work jackets, so the body has a lot of room for movement, it's cropped a little as to not to have too much excess fabric, and the sleeves taper to a tiny cuff, so, when working with machinery, nothing could get caught.

As with any Epaulet piece, we started thinking about how we could take the basic shape and idea, but work it into our type of garment. Something clean, easy to wear, functional, but also unique and exciting. A pleasure to own and use.

The open patch pockets give it a nod to the original. The dual-entry is cool because most people dig that and additional pocket space adds another level of functionality (for those of you who don't know me personally, I'm never without at least 5-10 different things in my pockets). The body is slightly relaxed, but still yields a sharp fit, while the construction lends itself to the comfort of a shirt, rather than a jacket. And the non-buttoning cuff makes taking up the sleeves a breeze and, as you mentioned, gives the piece a little understated panache.

The Doyle came out 100% how I was hoping and, really, is probably going to be my most worn outwear in the closet. In a few months, I'm sure it will look even more killer than it does already.

And, here's a pic of me wearing the inspiration jacket:

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Wearing my grey Wilshires for the first time today.  The fit is superb.  They are now my favorites, supplanting the indigo Wilshires...

Excellent - glad to hear that you're so pleased with them!

Rob, you must intimidate parents during parent teacher conferences...the dads at least.

Haha, for real. You look way harder than my teachers as a kid

TweedyProf

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Mike

I might have to ask for the Doyle for my birthday in a few weeks!

Can you tell me about the weight, how it feels..I'm guessing reasonably light, though with a ruggedness that comes with the duck canvas? Thanks for not putting buttons on the sleeve! Makes it easier to shorten.

leftofthedial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mike

I might have to ask for the Doyle for my birthday in a few weeks!

Can you tell me about the weight, how it feels..I'm guessing reasonably light, though with a ruggedness that comes with the duck canvas? Thanks for not putting buttons on the sleeve! Makes it easier to shorten.

It's the same 10 oz duck canvas that we use for Rivet Chinos/Walt trousers. Only, it's been put through a wash.

I would say it's a good year-round weight. Definitely going to be comfortable when the temps start warming up. I think you'll find that the fabric breathes well, has a soft, yet hard-wearing feel and a light weight when worn.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 97 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads