• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Although the vast majority of my "go to" clothing is Epaulet, I have rarely posted fit or lifestyle pics. Having said that, I appreciate that you take the time to do so and like just about all of the pics you have posted.

Thanks, P. I'm eager for the weather to cool down as I think I have a lot of better outfits to showcase. It became fun for me to take pictures daily. I tried doing a lifestyle picture once on Saturday at a local outdoor mall. The experience sucked as the sun was out in full force and the photographer was not that well so we had to take quite a few shots to reach an acceptable one, haha.

runningfrog

Reaction score

cross-posting from WAYWT, here's my big Cambridge post; blue and white Epaulet OCBDs featured (and then some other stuff):

Nice Stan! It looks like you got to go punting on the Cam. I studied abroad in Cambridge for six months during my junior year in college...damn, that was more than 10 years ago. Did you get a chance to walk around any of the colleges? I was at Trinity College. Hopefully you got to try some Old Speckled Hen, it's one of my favorite English ales and usually hard to find in the US.

Simplicio

Reaction score
^ It would have been funny if we had passed each other on the street and recognised each other based on Epaulet clothes. I'm used to being the only person who wears Epaulet in Cambridge.

trig

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Nice Stan! It looks like you got to go punting on the Cam. I studied abroad in Cambridge for six months during my junior year in college...damn, that was more than 10 years ago. Did you get a chance to walk around any of the colleges? I was at Trinity College. Hopefully you got to try some Old Speckled Hen, it's one of my favorite English ales and usually hard to find in the US.

mmm Old Speckled Hen. I used to get that at Bloodhound in the SOMA neighborhood of SF.

bestak

Reaction score
Just a try do do some Epaulet wear photo:

Today,
  • Shirt= Chambray Shirt Red Sz S
  • Pant= Rivet Chino Oxford cloth grey Sz 33
  • Shoes= Waverly Penny Loafer Sz 8D

Congrats to wj4 and others who make really fine photos, it is not very easy to do !

Last edited:

luzer

Reaction score

Can you post a pic of how your pants fit lengthwise? Opinions will vary as there is no universal standard for how the trousers should break, but there is an acceptable range going from no break to a tasteful full break. Some here like a zero break or even somewhat of a "highwater" look, but I usually tend to go for a slight break on most of my trousers.
BTW - 4 pairs is just the beginning of your addiction. You won't need rehab until you get into the double digits :teach:

some bad pics. hit away. thanks for the support.

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The length looks acceptable to me. I have some of my trousers hemmed to have a no break/high water stance like that. It may be the angle from the first picture, but the positioning of the buttons on the jacket looks kinda low, which throws off the trousers.

Beatlegeuse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In the context of that outfit, I think the pants look a little on the short side. If you're wearing a jacket + tie, I don't think you should be able to see your socks while standing straight up.

I wouldn't do it myself, but I am usually a fan of wj4's no break look. But, he tends to do it on more causal outfits (at least in the pics I've seen here). In the more conservative outfit you posted, I think the trousers should at least reach the top of your shoes...it looks to be slightly above in your pics. I also agree about the buttoning point, it does look strangely low on that jacket.

jt2gt

Reaction score
I agree...maybe 1/2 inch or so too short. Go through and look at WJ4's fits, didn't see any that short (or check out NYR's perfect hems).

JT

AchtungBaby07

Reaction score
Hi Mike,

any updates or sneek preview of the upcoming factory finds?

cant wait! hope to also see some non-winter stuff as well

Rincon

Reaction score
IMO you can't do suit and tie with a longer jacket then go for the "high water" type look.

It just looks like your pants are too short by about 1.5"

To go for that style you need a more casual shirt, your sleeves should be rolled up a bit etc etc... essentially it has to look "unstudied".

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads