1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Epaulet shop - Official Affiliate thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, Apr 1, 2009.

Tags:
  1. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Well-Known Member

Mike does that mean the MTO's should be around shortly? Can't wait for mine!

Last edited: Apr 24, 2013
  2. eddiemczee

eddiemczee Well-Known Member

Been a huge, huge fan of Epaulet trousers for a long time, but I'm thinking about taking the plunge into the sports coats. Question: How structured is the shoulder in the Caine jacket compared to the Napoli? I live in San Francisco, so I can't exactly try it on, but I'm trying to decide between the two. Also, is the only difference between the Weller and the Caine the ticket pocket? Thanks!

3. macjedi

macjedi Well-Known Member

I called EP this morning and asked the same question. Adele explained that the Caine, Napoli and Weller have the same fit. The Caine and Weller both have the "natural" padded shoulder. The Napoli has an unconstructed soft shoulder. The Weller is fully lined, whereas the Caine and Napoli are 3/8 lined.

I hope this helps!

4. macjedi

macjedi Well-Known Member

Which would wear cooler for a summer blazer; Napoli in duck canvas or wool hopsack?

5. FrankCowperwood

FrankCowperwood Well-Known Member

Plum duck RCs today (and a lot recently...)

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. FrankCowperwood

FrankCowperwood Well-Known Member

wj4, do you get feedback here or IRL about your color and pattern mixing? Personally, I think you do a good job. I can't recall seeing a mix you've put together that clearly doesn't work.

That sweater is very trad, and makes for a great look particularly with the vintage feel of those shots. I can see why you enjoy wearing it.

And you guys have me browsing film cameras on eBay. Crazy what you can get for $100, though I suppose film and processing will eventually add up. Anyone have thoughts on vintage rangefinders? Seems like something a little different. Tempted to try one out.

7. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Well-Known Member

LBM and Leaf Ducks...looks like Spring has finally arrived for good:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. digga

digga Well-Known Member

Good lookin' out. I have been waiting to pull the trigger on this one for a while now. Thanks.

9. Roguls

Roguls Well-Known Member

Very nice. I had my asshole grandfather's Minolta rehabbed, but I am such a novice with it, and processing gets expensive quickly. I have all the goodies with it, though.

Link is to my tumblr, which has pics he took with the camera as a commissioned photographer during the building of the Tappan Zee Bridge.

PIcs

1 person likes this.
  10. oisin

oisin Well-Known Member

agree that the sweater is cool.

Same re: cameras since my poor nikon FG I have had since high school is all broken down at this point. I think a rangefinder would be fun, but then I would just want a Leica and those are not cheap! I do plan to get a Fuji x100s soon -- looks like a range finder but digital, and is supposed to be pretty great. And I will replace my stolen 7D with a 6D I think. Maybe if people are into this film thing I'll pick up an old Nikon FE or something. Or we can be really baller and go medium format film? I love those big negatives.

11. StanleyVanBuren

StanleyVanBuren Well-Known Member

I know we just finished the last contest but it now occurs to me that 35mm would make an awesome challenge for the next one. It sounds like a few of us shoot 35mm already and those that don't could always just get a disposable camera for $10 or whatever they are these days -- and I've seen plenty of good creative stuff done with just a disposable camera, too. Mike would be in good place to judge who the finalists would be since his prior career (one of them) was as a photographer. We'd need a longer lead time in order to get shots taken and film processed, but that shouldn't be a big deal. We'd probably want a rule against any digital post-processing work, but if someone has a lab and wanted to do something creative like compositing images or whatever (aka "analog photoshop"), I wouldn't hold that against them...

1 person likes this.
  12. breadan

breadan Member

So much of my money is going to go your way this fall, dammit..chelsea boots and more oxfords.

13. Abecedarian

Abecedarian Well-Known Member

I dropped into the Orchard Street store tonight to try on a few things. Had a sport coat in mind, but walked out with one of the new motorcycle jackets in chestnut brown. It's boss as hell. Thanks for keeping the shop open late for me, Mike.

14. StanleyVanBuren

StanleyVanBuren Well-Known Member

Epaulet Cadet Grey suit

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  15. Beatlegeuse

Beatlegeuse Well-Known Member

Pics! I saw the teaser mike posted recently, but some more shots would be great to see. That thing looks unreal, and is exactly the type of leather jacket I've always wanted.

16. wj4

wj4 Well-Known Member

What size jacket do you take, Chris? 34? Lengths added or no?

17. wj4

wj4 Well-Known Member

Hey Frank! Thanks. I don't get any feedback here or in real life. Well, I only post my pictures in this thread. I used to post in the WAYWT MC Casual thread, but there's a couple of smart mouths that ruined the fun for me. And in real life, I feel like if you just wear a sports coat, folks will automatically call you a smart dresser, haha.

Today:
    [​IMG]

18. El Argentino

El Argentino Well-Known Member

Fantastic SVB. I want one.

19. Epaulet

Epaulet Well-Known Member

Actually the Southwick MTO jackets and suits ship individually, whenever they're ready. You should be getting yours any day now. Can't wait to see that navy seersucker suit!

Yup, this is correct. Originally, we came up with the idea of using naming each model individually. Every jacket has the same fit, and the names "Caine," "Weller," and such were there to denote the different mix of pockets and liners. In a nutshell:

Caine, Weller, and Daltrey are all fully lined, natural shoulder. They basically fit the same.
    The Weller is fully lined with breast welt / inset flap pockets. The Caine is 3/8 lined with a ticket pocket. The Daltrey is fully lined with a breast patch pocket and hip patch with flap pockets.
    The Napoli is the same fit as the others but has a softer, Italian-styled unconstructed shoulder. The new Napoli's all have a breast welt and open patch hip pockets.

Navy Wool hopsack is far and away our best selling jacket fabric. I've got a full size run of Napoli jackets in this cloth to go online tomorrow-Friday. It's a great fabric for SF, and a nice casual-ish shape which can be worn business casual without looking too dressy.

Both are pretty similar. The Duck is heavier but breathes well due to the open weave. The hopsack is lighter, and will wear like a slightly more lightweight suit jacket.

The duck is definitely a casual piece though. If you want to really dress the jacket up, then the hopsack will definitely be more versatile.

Looking good!

And do you guys see his tie? Stay tuned for NYI's release of this product through his neckwear brand. We carried this fabric years ago, and it's one of the best ties that we ever produced. He's making it under his own label, and it's going to be awesome.

Thank you sir! Our first customer for the Wyatt! We'll have this online tomorrow.

1 person likes this.
  20. Epaulet

Epaulet Well-Known Member

I'm absolutely down for a Styleforum 35mm club! And Frank, I'm so glad that you asked this. I love recommending film cameras. For anyone out there who wants to jump in for a camera that's inexpensive, takes good pics, and isn't a pain in the ass, I'd recommend these (all available on Ebay). I'll keep it simple with one per category, and around a $100 price point.

As always with Ebay cameras, buy them from sellers with good feedback, who explicitly say that the camera is tested and working, and who offer a return policy.

Rangefinder

[​IMG]
    Olympus XA
    This camera is nearly perfect. You can get a new one for under $100. Lens is brilliant and it has real rangefinder focusing and aperture priority settings. It's very compact and tough.

SLR

[​IMG]
    Nikon FG with 50/1.8 lens
    Quality aperture priority manual focus SLR. It's a smaller size, so easy to carry around. Only buy it with a Nikon lens. If you want to spend more money, then find one with a 50/1.4.

Point and Shoot

[​IMG]
    Yashica T3

This is a hidden gem. Early 2000's photographers like Terry Richardson made the Yashica T4/T5 famous. This is a long-running series of compact cameras with really excellent Carl Zeiss lenses.

The T3 is a bit of an 80's ugly duckling, but it has an awesome f/2.8 lens, decently fast autofocus, and one in good condition goes for about $150.

2 people like this.