• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Diet and Workout Plan- (Haircut Advice, Protein Question)

Mr Thibs

Reaction score
So to introduce myself, I've been reading this forum for a couple of weeks, and thought I would pot some questions about diet, hair, and protein. October 2008, I weighed 246 LBS, Today at the gym I weighed myself and I weigh 206, a difference of 40 LBS, so I have lost some weight.

My goal right now is 190, I am 6' 2". Would 190 be a good weight for me? Or should I shoot for something more. Once I hit 190, my focus is going to shift to tightening up, and adding muscle well not getting to big.

My diet has changed alot from when I was bigger, I focus on getting ample protein eating steak, chicken, fish, and tuna alot. I also have veggies, brown rice, eggs, yogurt, and sushi. Here is what I ate today, let me know what you think:

2 egg omelet
1 slice of cheese
2 slices of wheat bread
2 tangerines
Serving of Shephard's Pie
Can of Tuna- Strait from the can

I almost always get my 8 cups of water, usually more. Whats you guys opinion on todays diet.

Would it help to get 100% Whey protein shake and have shakes in the morning with frozen fruit, yogurt, and skim milk.

Recently however my losing, has hit somewhat of wall. Should this be expected or am I doing something wrong.
Here's some photos of me today:

MyPicture-2.jpg

MyPicture-1.jpg

MyPicture.jpg

One last question, I'm getting a hair cut soon, what should I ask for. I want it to be somewhat clean, i will use product if you guys think its a good idea. What do you guys think?

n647859761_1943727_8317-1-1.jpg

Thanks to everyone!

bach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr Thibs
adding muscle well not getting to big.

Lulz. Getting too big is the most insignificant problem you're going to face.

What does your workout routine look like?

Mr Thibs

Reaction score
Sorry guess I should have re-phrased that. What I meant by that, was Im not looking to be a 300-pound bodybuilder, sorry, should have cleared that up.

As of right now, I do nothing but Cardio, about 2 hours a night of basketball, 6 days a week or so. Cross country skiing, and some running. That's all, I was planning on getting down to 190, then start muscle building, is that stupid? Should I start weight lifting now.

bach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry guess I should have re-phrased that. What I meant by that, was Im not looking to be a 300-pound bodybuilder, sorry, should have cleared that up. As of right now, I do nothing but Cardio, about 2 hours a night of basketball, 6 days a week or so. Cross country skiing, and some running. That's all, I was planning on getting down to 190, then start muscle building, is that stupid? Should I start weight lifting now.
Well, since you've described a program that is rich in cardio, you may be consistently depleting your glycogen stores and going catabolic. In other words, your body will draw energy from the protein in your muscles, essentially burning them as fuel. So, if you add weightlifting to the mix you may not gain as much as you would sans cardio, but you're still going to make gains. I would at least start lifting weights now and crank up the intensity once you reach 190. In any case, you should wait to hear some more opinions.
smile.gif

Bromoney

Reaction score
in my opinion it's better to be ripped than huge. I'd stick with as much cardio as possible for fat burning, then add in some push-ups sit ups and a little bit of weight to get ripped.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bach
Well, since you've described a program that is rich in cardio, you may be consistently depleting your glycogen stores and going catabolic. In other words, your body will draw energy from the protein in your muscles, essentially burning them as fuel.

So, if you add weightlifting to the mix you may not gain as much as you would sans cardio, but you're still going to make gains. I would at least start lifting weights now and crank up the intensity once you reach 190.

In any case, you should wait to hear some more opinions.
smile.gif

I don't think you understand how much work is required for depletion or catabolism. He's a kid playing sports every night. That's it.

At any rate ... kid, spend 6 months lifting in a gym . Try really really hard. Eat more food, but don't have a heart attack about what you're eating. Add protein and keep the rest non-stupid. Keep up the sports.

In 6 months, you'll have muscles popping through and you'll have dropped some fat. At that point you'll be better able to assess where you'd like to take your body next.

lefty

Mr Thibs

Reaction score
Thanks lefty, thats pretty good advice

I am 19, and in college, so sometimes its hard to not pick up the bottle, and because I live off campus I can eat pretty healthy.

Thanks for the help, should I focus on the main weight workout like Bench, Curl, ......, can someone point me to a basic weight workout.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks lefty, thats pretty good advice

I am 19, and in college, so sometimes its hard to not pick up the bottle, and because I live off campus I can eat pretty healthy.

Thanks for the help, should I focus on the main weight workout like Bench, Curl, ......, can someone point me to a basic weight workout.

You have to be honest with yourself when it comes to cals. Everybody underestimates how much they're eating, but at 19 you're primed for growth, so you have a lot of leeway.

The key is trying really hard. There are a lot of people that are just going through the motions in the gym.

Spend a month learning how to lift. Find the biggest guys in your gym (or at least the guys who look like they know what they're doing) and ask for help. You have to put your pride and ego aside and just soak up the info. Once you're comfortable with a bar there are many programs you can try. why's example is a good one.

If you try hard, eat more protein and aren't too much of an idiot when it comes to food three things will happen:

you'll lose fat; you'll put on muscle; you'll get stronger.

All three are pretty addictive.

Good luck.

lefty

Mr Thibs

Reaction score
Can someone answer my question about the benefits of adding protein shakes to my diet.

And maybe the haircut question too.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Can someone answer my question about the benefits of adding protein shakes to my diet.

And maybe the haircut question too.

You need more food. If and when you start lifting, especially.

A quick look shows that you ate about 1200 cals at about 98P/125C/45F. That's fine if your goal is just losing weight, but you seem to want more muscle and less fat. Up the protein by 120 gms of food. Use whey if you get sick of eating, but my guess is that you're dying to eat more real food.

I'll let someone else comment on the hair.

lefty

Mr Thibs

Reaction score
By real food, you mean like Steak, chicken, eggs right. protein rich foods

Yesterday I ate this:

2 eggs 1 piece of toast
2 clementines
2 serving shepherds pie
1 serving Macaroni and Cheese
1 serving fruit salad
10 wheat crackers with peanut butter on them

What do you think?

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
not to be a dick but with those flanks and love handles, any carbs is too much. your diet is atrocious. you eat too little and most of what you eat is crap. mac and cheese? crackers are full of trans fat and sugar.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads