• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Conservative business attire for anti-war protests

interlocutor

Reaction score
I believe one of the NY Times op-ed columnists made the point a year or two ago, that the protesters would be taken more seriously in coats and ties than in standard issue anarchist wear. Perhaps it was Bob Herbert.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by reubencahn
I'm curious. When people use the phrase "Democrat" politicians and "Democrat" party, is it a deliberate attempt to insult?

Yes. Etiquette generally requires that you call people by the name they choose. Anything less is indeed a deliberate attempt to insult.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by alflauren
It's a matter of semantics and a way of not ceding the word "democratic" to the Democrats. A Republican is a member of the Republican party. A Democrat is a member of the Democrat party, not the Democratic party.

There isn't anything particularly republican about today's Republican party. Should we then come up with up with another name in order to not cede the term "republican"?

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As to the topic of the original poster, I agree that a more conservative or business attire would make sense for demonstrations of that kind - it implies that those participating are not just bare-footed hippies. I have been struck by the image of the original civil rights marches of the late 50s and early 60s where most of the marchers were in coat and tie or dresses (gender dependent) as opposed to the far more casual dress of the late 60s. In part this reflected a seismic cultural shift and, in part, the fact that the protesters against the Vietnam war were considerably younger on average.

When I march, I tend to wear a blazer or sports coat and dress slacks (and very comfortable shoes).

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I mostly demonstrate when there is a local demonstration against Basque terrorism, due to some more innocent people having been killed because some stupid brainwashed young guys with nothing better to do want to feel important playing patriot games. The last time I went to a demonstration these ETA guys had blewn up a garage at the airport and managed to kill two guys from Ecuador who were here in Spain, working hard trying to support their families back home.
When I go to these demonstrations I am normally so pissed off by the incredible stupidity of these terrorists, that I actually do not think about dressing up or down. If the demonstration is on a weekday, I go directly from my job, with suit and tie. I guess that is what most people do around here.

Kasper

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sator
Did I say that?

DA! Tovarish Lenin say to us to 'beat our swords into ploughshares'. But comrade say wear lounge suits at least when protesting. Tavarish say big NET! to dressing like crap for protest:

Beloved comrade lead by example and wears nice little red boutonniere:

I don't want to be disrespectful to Australians but many people here in the US take the war very seriously. I don't think your down under jokes are very appropriate considering the circumstances.

Kasper

Reaction score
Originally Posted by marc237
As to the topic of the original poster, I agree that a more conservative or business attire would make sense for demonstrations of that kind - it implies that those participating are not just bare-footed hippies. I have been struck by the image of the original civil rights marches of the late 50s and early 60s where most of the marchers were in coat and tie or dresses (gender dependent) as opposed to the far more casual dress of the late 60s. In part this reflected a seismic cultural shift and, in part, the fact that the protesters against the Vietnam war were considerably younger on average.

When I march, I tend to wear a blazer or sports coat and dress slacks (and very comfortable shoes).

Thank you for really thinking about your reply. I think that many can agree that Martin Luther King should be role models for many of us including his conservative dress which many people might not think about.

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kasper
I don’t want to be disrespectful to Australians but many people here in the US take the war very seriously. I don’t think your down under jokes are very appropriate considering the circumstances.
What makes you think I am being anything less than deadly serious? There are Australian armed forced in Iraq alongside US forces. An Australian, David Hicks, is the first Guantanamo inmate going on trial. I happen to think that this equation of slobwear being a symbol of liberal politics to be complete nonsense. I think I demonstrated that quite effectly with the way Lenin - in his way, a brilliant if deeply misguided idealist - and his well tailored lounge suits show. Heck, if Lenin can turn up to Red Square in a suit and boutonierre, then there's absolutely no excuse for a moderate to wear slobwear under the guise of liberalism. The idea that being well dressed equates with conservative politics is a hangover of the French Revolution, when court dress symbolised the monarchy. I happen to feel that this equation is totally invalid today.

Kasper

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sator
What makes you think I am being anything less than deadly serious? There are Australians armed forced in Iraq alongside US forces. An Australian, David Hicks, is the first Guantanamo inmate going on trial.

I happen to think that this equation of slobwear being a symbol of liberal politics to be complete nonsense. I think I demonstrated that quite effectly with the way Lenin - in his way, a brilliant if deeply misguided idealist - and his well tailored lounge suits demonstrate.

The idea that being well dressed equates with conservative politics is a hangover of the French Revolution, when court dress symbolised the monarchy. I happen to feel that this equation is totally invalid today.

I am sorry I misunderstood you. I hope that many of the Australians in Iraq aren't like the people I knew back in Philly who only joined the military to get money for college.

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
I am sorry I misunderstood you. I hope that many of the Australians in Iraq aren't like the people I knew back in Philly who only joined the military to get money for college.
Look, you clearly think you're right about this, and you clearly want to discuss it. So start a thread in the appropriate forum already, and stop bringing it up in passing. Tom

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by reubencahn
I'm curious. When people use the phrase "Democrat" politicians and "Democrat" party, is it a deliberate attempt to insult?
It's just Texas.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NoVaguy
Yes. Etiquette generally requires that you call people by the name they choose. Anything less is indeed a deliberate attempt to insult.
You mean like when DannyWilson wanted to be called "The Guy"?

Kasper

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiger02
Look, you clearly think you're right about this, and you clearly want to discuss it. So start a thread in the appropriate forum already, and stop bringing it up in passing.

Tom

I don't want to make a controversy but there is nothing to be right about as I know this is what happened to those guys back in my old neighborhood. If I decide to protest the war in my best work attire no one can stop me as I know that is my right as a citizen.

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
I don't want to make a controversy but there is nothing to be right about as I know this is what happened to those guys back in my old neighborhood. If I decide to protest the war in my best work attire no one can stop me as I know that is my right as a citizen.
Huh? I encourage you to start a thread in the CE forum, and you start defending your right to protest in a suit and tie?

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NoVaguy
It also has to do with the strong emotional valence that the small-d adjective "democratic" has. Regardless of political affiliation, people like things which are "democratic", so if one party gets that name, the other will be jealous. It doesn't work with "republican", because most americans are foggier on that adjective. If you as the man on the street if the USA is a Democray of a Republic, I think you'll see what I mean. Calling dems the "Democrat Party" goes way back to McCarthy (if not further), who liked the way "democrat" sounds like "beaurocrat." It has become code for the political right, like flashing gang signs or referring to a "culture of life" without ever explicitly stating anti-abortion stances. GWB has done this pretty often, but more so in 2006 (the year of his stiffest political opposition) than all of his previous presidential years combined. I believe it was either WaPo or the NYT who had the count of "democrat party" publicly coming out of Dubya's mouth in 2006 at 22 different occasions.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads